Tuesday, October 1, 2024

September 2024

Well, I'm restarting this month's blog as I went in to edit and lost it all. So the details could be a bit sketchy. 

On Sunday of Labor Day weekend, we were still without children. We spent the day doing a few things around the house, but mostly just enjoyed the quiet. 

Monday was a lot of the same. We kind of waited around for the kids to get back home. Millie flew in after 9 pm so I went to pick her up. Because she was considered an unaccompanied minor, I got to go to the gate to get her. Stuart picked Jack up at the Hurley house and we were all home by about 10 pm. The next day was sure to be an exhausting day, but we would deal with it as best as possible. 

Stuart worked in town for Tuesday and Wednesday, so it was nice for him to be at home when the kids got up. To think I only have three more weeks to drive the kids to school freaks me out. After school on Tuesday, Jack went down to mow my parents' lawn while Stuart and I went to watch Millie's volleyball team. Jack had club practice on Tuesday evening, so was picked up and taken there. 

Wednesday after school Stuart stopped by the house and then headed to Gallup. The girls (Sherry, Mary, Gina and Elise) were to come over so we could celebrate Gina and Elisa's birthdays. Sadly, Sherry's mom had passed away a few days before so we had to reschedule. Gina had decided she needed to spend the evening with her dad as it was his birthday. However, I decided that shouldn't prevent Elisa, Mary and I from getting together. Mary had missed the July birthday celebration as her sister was not well and has since passed as well. So the three of us met at Barrio Queen and had a laugh for sure! 

Thursday was Millie's last regular season match. I am so proud of how she has competed this season. The season is so fast in junior high, but it gives the kids a taste of the sport, so for Millie that was very important. 

Friday was a hectic day, as always for me. After school I picked Millie up from practice and Jack went home with Carter to celebrate his 16th birthday. They were going to sleep over. Coming up to 16 is starting to get real. Jack is around way less than normal, which is weird for all of us. Millie is especially jealous as we don't let her have the freedom he has, which isn't surprising. 

Saturday Stuart was working in Gallup for new teacher orientation while the kids and I were here. I had my friend Debi over for some girl time. Debi left rather early. Millie hung out with Andie for the day and Jack was out with friends. 

Sunday was a relatively lonely day. Stuart was in Gallup and the kids and I were at home. Boring! 

Monday was another boring day. Stuart was still in Gallup and the kids and I were home. We did nothing Monday evening. At least when we are busy, it makes time go faster and Stuart being gone is not as noticeable. 

Tuesday the kids both had things going on after school. I picked Millie up from practice and then waited around for Jack to go for his road test. The instructor called and said he would be about a half hour late. Since Jack had club practice and was going to be late anyway, we agreed to meet at the office in Tempe. This way Jack could be at practice for at least an hour. Of course he passed with flying colors. 

Wednesday Millie had a playoff game. She didn't play, and was a bit disappointed, but stayed enthusiastic on the sidelines, which I loved. After her game, we went to the district office and the board of education recognized the Casteel volleyball team as they had been named the 5A champions after months of controversy. It was a weird situation, but the character the boys showed was to be respected and recognized. 

This award was definitely a bittersweet moment. 

Thursday, after going back and forth with Jack's AP English teacher about an essay score that caused him to have a C in her class, he was allowed to revise the essay. Do I think he gave it his all? No! Do I think she made it clear the kids could revise their essay? Nope! It was a bit of a shit show, to be honest. If there wasn't college credit at stake here, I would have let him handle it on his own, but not happening. I also find these high school teachers that are a hot minute over the age of 22 to be unnerving at times. Jack had practice at Brophy and Millie and I watched Dancing with the Stars. It's something that bonds us. 

Friday Stuart was home because one of his schools had closed due to a covid outbreak. We decided to go ahead and meet with the AP teacher after school, even though Jack had gone in to talk to her regarding the revision. I just wanted to make sure he was in full understanding of the expectations. I also wanted the teacher to know we supported her, but also wanted to support our kid in his endeavors. And although we don't use ADD as a crutch, it really does play into the lack of attention to detail from time to time. We asked Jack if we embarrassed him. He said, 'No, actually having you come to the school is the main reason I think she allowed me to revise the paper'. Ha! 

Friday evening the kids both went to the varsity football game. Stuart and I went to eat at Vero's, which was a new place for us. I picked them up after the game and we all came home for a sleep! 

Saturday I ran around getting all the things for Homecoming and a birthday party Millie was going to that afternoon. We took Millie to her party at 3:45 pm and then went to pick Tatum up at 4:45 to go take pictures at Veteran's Park. Jack, Tatum, Carter and Alex were going to Cooper's Hawk for dinner and then to the dance. The plan was for Tatum's parents to pick them up from the dance and let them come back to their house until midnight. I'm not ready for this! It's a good thing we love Tatum. 

Who are the couples? Ha! What beautiful children we all have!

Sunday Millie had a volleyball clinic. It seems her coach wanted to talk to her about a situation that happened with another player. It seems another player had gotten mad at Millie over a boy and sent her some scathing texts with some choice words in them. Thank goodness Millie did not respond the same way. Fortunately for her, I had caught her using some similar language with someone the previous week and had taken her phone as a result. So she knew better than to get caught in that trap again. I told her the words didn't bother me as much as the fact that it was in writing. I explained the importance of not sending words in texts or pictures that could be considered naughty! Stuart and I went to lunch during her clinic and then came back to a conversation from the coach. Coach Tracy said she was sorry she hadn't been told about the other girl's treatment of Millie because she would have addressed it. Millie later asked if she was in trouble. We assured her that she was not in trouble, but wanted her to know that the treatment she received from this girl was never to be tolerated. I'm hoping she got the message. 

Monday was the semi-finals of the volleyball season. Millie didn't play again, and she was the only one for the last two games. It made me sad for her, but she seemed fine, so that was good enough for me. Stuart was able to be at the match and although she didn't play, we were proud of her being willing to step out and try something new. She did improve a great deal and has decided she is going to go out for club volleyball. We shall see how that plays out. They ended up losing in the semi-finals, but had a great season. 

Tuesday Stuart was still working in southern Arizona. We took the boys to Inspire and went to a pub quiz close by. Tom and Chris met us there. It was fun! It would be the last time I would drive Jack to Inspire for practice. So surreal!

Wednesday after school I met with my former teammates, Shelby and Alyssa, for dinner. I hadn't seen them in over a year. It was great to catch up with both of them. Stuart headed to Gallup once his day in southern Arizona was finished. He loves being able to come home at the end of a work day several days a month, but the days he has to drive to Gallup after a days work in San Simone are not fun days. 

Thursday, Stuart ended coming back home. He decided to work a half day from home on Friday. It was great to have him back home. 

So this was September 19th, but this mouse saga had been going on for over a week. We discovered some droppings and I freaked out. Stuart stopped to get traps earlier in the week and the killings began. 

Friday the kids went to a football game again. Stuart and I went to dinner while the kids were at the football game. We have started to have a lot more free time for us. The kids are busy and really don't want to hang out with us. 

Saturday was a full day of volleyball. It was the first volleyball tournament of the club season. Here we go. Jack's team is really good and moved up a division after their 4-0 record on Saturday. They were playing 17 and 18 year olds. He was pretty pumped by the entire day. 

He is quite the jumper and the hitter. 

After the tournament, all the boys came over for a sleepover. The next day was Jack's 16th birthday. He only asked to have all his buddies and their families over for lunch and swimming. 

The day of celebrating Jack was so much fun. We got to know Will's and Asher's families so much better. He has such a great group of friends and their families are equally amazing. 

Monday, Stuart had taken the day off to take Jack to get his license. I can't believe it is time for this. 

His first trip on his own was to take Millie to Target. We had sat him down to talk to him about his new responsibilities. So scary! 

By Tuesday, Jack had his keys taken away for a short while. It seems that he wants to argue with me via text about spending time with his girlfriend at her house without an adult there. Stupid! So, he didn't get to go pick her up on that day. There are more days ahead, thank goodness. I am hoping he fixes his stupidity. Also, on Tuesday, since I was still working and the kids were on break, I made a list of chores for them to have completed by the end of the day. Well, the 16 year old who thinks he's grown now, didn't do his chores. He is clearly not skilled at the 'kiss ass' behavior that should follow a major mess up. Hoping he learns soon. 

Wednesday chores were completed once I got home from work. Millie and I went to her end of season celebration. She was awarded the most improved player. Her coach said such wonderful things about her. She was so proud and so was I. 

My little volleyball star!

Thursday I met the kids at the doctor for their med checks. I had a covid and flu shot the previous day so woke up feeling like crap. I struggled through and then decided the kids would just get a flu shot and not a covid shot. Jack had another tournament on Saturday, so I didn't want him feeling horrible. They were both mad enough about the flu shot. It's just how I handle it. Don't tell and they won't be able to be mad prior to. 

Stuart got home early on Friday and we decided to go to dinner and then to a cross country meet close to the Mesa airport. I have never seen so many runners in my life. One of the schools Stuart works at in Gallup had runners there. We met up with Todd as well, as his team was there. I really wish Millie would run cross country. I think she would be good. She has no interest, though. 

Jack went to the football game in Mesa. There was controversy around it as he hadn't done his chores. Seems he is having difficulty keeping in mind that his family obligations come first. He will learn, I hope. 

Saturday he had his second tournament. Millie decided to go with us this time as the previous Saturday she was bored to death all day. They didn't do as well as the week before, but they still moved up a division, so they are close to the top now. After the tournament, Jack came home and showered and then was out the door again. He went to have a sleepover at Will's. 

What a month!

No comments:

Post a Comment