Sunday, January 26, 2014

School Inspections- Part 2

My school inspection started Sunday, but prior to going to school on Sunday morning, we had to get up and see if the Pass Fairy came and took the pacifiers and left a gift. As you can see, the Pass Fairy did indeed come. The plastic bowl was totally empty. Millie seemed fine with it. Normally Millie will wake up in the night and put her pacifier back in her mouth and sometimes she would wake up crying because she couldn't find it. She also asks for her pacifier shortly after I take it from her in the morning, but on Sunday morning there was no mention of it. She was just thrilled that she got a new baby doll. 
The big test would be that evening when she went to bed. 

We headed for school and I began to get ready for the inevitable evaluation. No matter how much experience you have in education, you still get nervous about someone coming in to judge you. My fear was the team would come in during my second group of students who are a little less motivated and more 'active'. Shocking! That is exactly what happened. A lady came to my room as I was bringing the students in from lunch. One of my students kept pointing at te lady and saying, 'Miss, Miss, Miss!' I finally recognized the lady behind me and told the students she would be coming to our room today. She stayed for over 30 minutes. She wrote a lot and then disappeared. 

Sunday night was rugby again, but no significant thing other that Jack has now started to think he is the best player out there, which I guess is better than thinking he is the worst player out there. 

Stuart could not let Jack have fun and be left out. So he went and started practicing with the veterans rugby players on Monday. As you would guess he was very sore on Tuesday, but went right back at it on Wednesday. Our family may get fit yet. 

I was only observed twice this week, in the end, which was perfectly fine with me. It seems we had positive feedback as to how we are doing, as far as a brand new school is concerned. So in light of that, we were all told we didn't have to stay for our regular afternoon (until 4pm) meeting on Wednesday. What a nice treat. 

I am a bit upset to report that Millie has asked for 'pass' every night this week when she goes to bed. And bedtime is definitely not as settling for her. There is much more crying when she is put to bed, and she gets out of bed a bit more. Typically Jack just goes to sleep and sleeps right through all of her fuss. But Tuesday night I could hear her crying and whining. Then I heard Jack singing to her to try to get her to go to sleep. I suppose that is the example he has seen so he is just participating in our tricks. It was so sweet to hear him singing to her. After a few songs he came running into the kitchen to report his good deed. He also proclaimed that he thought she was still probably not going to go to sleep anytime soon. But in fact, that was not true. I think his singing was the ticket to her slumber. 

Thursday at school was a chilled day. We watched the Lorax in the auditorium. We could totally justify it because we showed it in....wait for it....English! It was great! 

Thursday evening Gina came into town for her friend Rachelle's Stella and Dot party (jewelry, purse, accessories). So Cathy and I went to the party. It was a nice time and we had this Stella and Dot presentation via Skype. What will they think of next?

Jack had a birthday party to go to on Friday morning at 10:00 am. It was held at the bowling alley at Bawadi Mall. There were many kids there from his school. And so the birthday parties begin! He had a great time. 

When we got back to the house Gina came over. Her intention was to stay just for a bit and then head back to Abu Dhabi. Instead she stayed the entire evening and drove back around 9:30 pm. We visited and then she walked with Cathy and me to the co-op. Cathy and I had a pedicure and Gina walked around the co-op for a little (very little) bit. The co-op is super small. 

After the pedis we went to a place called Leisure for dinner. It is a Lebanese restaurant in town center. It was delicious. We ate outside and enjoyed our time together while Kayleigh and Claire stayed with Jack and Millie back at the house. It was nice to have a night out. 

Saturday we got up and Skyped Russ, Julie, Morgan and Emily. Jack and Millie were crazy. I know they were excited, but it drove me nuts nonetheless. After our conversation with my brother and his family we went to see a bed that was advertised on Al Ain Swap and Shop. There are many gently used items for sale on a Facebook sight for people who live here. There are so many people that come and go that there is no reason to buy some things brand new. The bed was nice and we bought it. Now my mom and dad will have something to sleep on when they come in 8 weeks. Jack and Millie are very excited for their visit. 

We did a lot of nothing on Saturday afternoon. We watched a movie, ate supper, I showered the kids, and we Skyped Grammie and Pop. Bedtime came and it was the worst night of all without the pacifier. We put Millie to bed at 7:45 pm and she finally dropped off around 10:30 pm. This is killing me! I am sure we have messed this up royally. 

Still loving our life in the UAE.

No comments:

Post a Comment