Saturday, August 29, 2015

Students' first week, and guess who's teacher grade 4 on the boys' side?

You know what I hate about the first day of school? The anticipation. It seems that every year, no matter where I am, the night before the first day of school is one of my worst night's sleep of the year. This year was no exception. 

I fell asleep on the sofa around 8:30 pm on Saturday night. So once I was upstairs at just before 10, going back to sleep was challenging. I finally just laid there with my eyes closed until I drifted off. I'm not sure what time that was, but most likely it didn't take as long as it seemed. Then at 3 am, I was startled by Millie's yelling. She doesn't scream in the night if something's wrong, she just yells my name until I get there. She had wet her bed, but kind of woke up midway so it wasn't that bad, but sheets still had to be changed. 

The entire process took around 10 minutes, plenty of time for her to wake up completely. Then she wanted a drink of water. Then she wanted me to lay down with her....on her tiny, IKEA, 'paper thin mattress' bed. By the time I got back to my bed, my alarm was about 30 minutes away from ringing. Oh the joys of the first day of school combined with parenting. 

Once we were all up and ready for school, I took some pictures. The kids were really excited about going to school, especially Millie. She is in the same school, just down the hall from Jack this year. She already knows most of the staff at the school because Mr. Andrew, the driver that takes them to school, would always pick Millie up at her school first and then head to Jack's school. When she was waiting for Jack she got acquainted with everyone. It will make the transition easier for her, I think. 

I was totally surprised when I got to school and was told that I would only be in grade 4 one day. We got a new English teacher!  The day was relatively smooth, however we had less than half of our students at school. The day started out with the boys in the auditorium with a clown and magic act. I'm not sure what the point of that was, but no one really asks my opinion so I just go with the flow. 

Once we were in the classroom establishing rituals and routines, one of the social workers came around with popsicles.  Again, the point? The boys who were in my class today were fine. They were a bit silly, but maybe that was the first day jitters, I hope. 

As the boys were leaving school, in their typical way, the new teacher came through the front door. I nearly hugged her. I stuck out my hand to shake hers and asked if she was the new EMT. She said yes, and I began to give her the tour of he school and get her acclimated, in 20 minutes, and ready for Monday. We gathered supplies and put them in her room. How happy was I?  Her name is Melanie. So THAT'S who is teaching grade 4! Yahoo! She asked how to get a cab back in town. I told her she could get a ride home with me and we made arrangements for her to ride with me the rest of the week. She is still in a hotel, so of course I told her my hotel horror stories. I think it's only fair and kind to share experiences that she could benefit from hearing. 

Once I was home on Sunday, I went to a ladies house to look at a piano keyboard for Jack. We signed him up for 16 weeks, once a week, but I didn't want to spend a fortune on a new keyboard in case he's not that interested. When I got to her house, she ushered me in and I felt like I had landed in a flea market. There were all kinds of washers and refrigerators and shelves. Clearly they had a business of sorts that they were running out of their house. In the end she sold me the keyboard for the equivalent of $40. I can handle that and Jack loved it!

After I got home, all I wanted to do was shower and go to bed. I was terribly exhausted from the day, but thrilled that I wouldn't be in a classroom on Monday. 

I continued to pass out supplies on Monday. I went to school with my hair in a ponytail because I knew that sweating up a storm was inevitable. Once I was home Jack and I went to pick up his new keyboard. Then we picked up Cathy and Claire to go with us to his piano lesson. Claire was interested in taking singing lessons so they wanted to check out House of Arts. 

Jack said he liked his lesson and once we were home he wanted to practice. So we hooked up his keyboard and I helped him practice his two assignments. Of course, all he wanted to do was play 'Happy Birthday' and 'Mary had a Little Lamb', but he did comply and do his assignments. 

Cathy and Claire came over a bit later and had dinner. They stayed while Stuart went to rugby training. We watched our forever favorite show 'Miranda'. She is hysterical and we can nearly quote her, we've watched the episodes so many times. 

Tuesday was a very difficult day at school. The language barrier makes things so much more difficult when we are trying to impart our Western ways to this community. There is such a huge learning curve for everyone. I was physically and emotionally drained at the end of the day. 

When I got home we went to Scott and Clare's to help them pick up their repaired car. Because Scott broke his leg, he can't drive. I stayed with the kids while Scott, Clare and Stuart went to collect the car. Once they were home the curry we had ordered was delivered. 

As we often do, we brought the kids' pajamas. Millie had a bath before the food arrived, and Jack and Henry went to take a shower after they ate. When Jack came downstairs he came to give me a hug. I kissed his head and he smelled like wet dog. I told him he stunk and asked him if he even used soap. He said no and I nearly barfed. Stinky boys. I told him when we got home he would shower again. At that moment he said, 'Henry didn't use soap either'. He really needs a lesson in how to NOT throw your best friend under the bus. I thought Clare was going to blow a gasket. She told them to both go upstairs and use soap. 

Once the boys were clean and we were in the car, Jack said the reason he didn't use soap was because Henry didn't and he didn't want Henry to leave him upstairs by himself. That made me sad. Times like that make me very aware of the fact that Henry is 3 years older than Jack. 

The kids fell asleep on the way home, which is always nice for Millie because she gets carried to bed, whereas Jack has to wake up and walk upstairs, which was the source of a meltdown Tuesday evening. He finally made it up to his room and went to sleep. 

Stuart and I watched some television and then, as usual, Stuart went upstairs to bed while I napped on the sofa. I know it's a terrible habit, but I love falling asleep on the sofa while watching tv. I did finally go to bed, but it was late, or early, depending on how you look at it. 

Wednesday at school was a little more calm. We had about 75% of our students and for the most part the boys have started to know the rules. Dismissal was nuts, though. We brought all bus riders to the foyer of the auditorium. Because they knew the buses were just beyond the open doors, it was if they were called by some kind of force. They started rushing the door. It was absolute chaos. We decided we would make changes for Thursday, clearly. 

Millie went to dance Wednesday evening. It is just around dinner time which backs up to bedtime. So the timing is not perfect, but she loved it all the same. I didn't stay in the class, but was able to take this picture from the window in the door, just like Jack's piano class. 
Thursday finally arrived. It seemed as if things were really starting to come together. I had my first student in our intervention room for fighting, we lined kids up in the canteen for bus dismissal, which was a nobel idea, and none of our teachers were angry by the end of the day. If you ask me we had a very successful first week. 

I didn't leave school until after two because I am assigned to stay and wait for students who are returned on the bus because no one is home to meet their bus. 

Once I was home we ended up going to the pool and then eating dinner at the club. We were home early and everyone was in bed early. 

I got up Friday morning to go for a swim. I swam 40 laps but it took me forever. Hopefully I won't hold my team back. 

Millie and I made cupcakes in preparation for her final birthday party. It seems that this year she has had the birthday that won't end. Oh well, I guess she's only 4 once. Ha!
In the afternoon we went to Oscar's birthday party. Oscar is the son of our Irish friends, Gemma and Fechin. Fechin is the guy who talked me into this three man triathlon. He's so encouraging. When I told him how much and how fast (or slow) I have been swimming. He just told me it was no big deal and the speed wasn't a concern of his. It just made me want to try harder. 

After Oscar's party we went to the club for Club Day. The kids' teams played some rugby, there was entertainment and some of the rugby club staff spoke.
The boys were getting their tags on. Jack scored about 5 trys, but I saw a team player in this boy. He handed the ball to a little girl named Harper, who had never played, and then he ran in front of her kind of plowing a clear area for her to run to the try line. It was so sweet, but she wasn't exactly sure where to go and in the end got a bit upset and ran off the pitch. Poor dear. 

It was a great evening. We got home around 9 pm and hit the hay. 

Saturday morning we were woken up just before six by some workers digging up our front walkway. There was a leak and a massive puddle in front of our place earlier in the week. So it only makes sense they would start fixing it before 6 am on a Saturday morning. Irritating. 

Once I was up and around I put the finishing touches on Millie's birthday party. The guests were due to arrive at 10 am. There were games planned and the pizza was ordered from the club. 
We had Melted Snow (water bottles), Sven's Antlers (pretzel sticks), Olaf's noses (baby carrots), Elsa's snowflakes (popcorn), and snowballs (cheese balls). Thank you Pintrest!
Stuart drew the Olaf for Pin the Nose on Olaf. 
Millie got more toys than she needed, as usual. 
Millie's friend Abbey's dad, Jeff, brought his photography stuff and took pictures of the kids on a green screen, then put the backdrop of Elsa and Anna on the phot. It was so cool. What a treat for the kids. 
There was no birthday cake, only cupcakes. We sang and Millie blew out the candle. Perfect!

After the party and a slight clean up, we went to the pool. Once we were back home the kids and I showered and were in our jammies by 3:30 pm. We watched a couple of movies, warmed pizza for the kids, and both fell asleep on the sofa just before 6 pm. Everyone had a full weekend for sure. 

The rest of the evening was spent laying around and mentally preparing for the coming week. We seem to be in full swing with activities again. It's the way we like it!



1 comment: