Sunday, December 13, 2015

Last week of term

Elfvis was still up to his tricks this week.  Because he heard Grammie, Pop, Jack and Millie playing Old Maid on Saturday, he and his friends had to get in on the action. 
There were very few children at school on Sunday so of course we combined classes. English teachers just got in with it and started working on their plans and resources for the second term. There were grades to be completed and forms to fill in, so there was plenty of work to be done even though kids were not at school. This would prove to be a very long week without students.  

Grammie and Pop's luggage finally arrived just before noon on Sunday, after a bit of insistence on my part. Of course Grammie had some presents for the kids to open. Jack and Millie decided to. try on their clothes. 
Beautiful clothes for Christmas service. 

Grammie and Pop were still exhausted from their travels, trying hard to get over their jet lag. Sunday evening we had spaghetti and just relaxed, playing Uno with the kids. Everyone was in bed early. 

Monday morning, again, I was late to work. Having coffee with Mom and Dad is way more fun than being on time for work. Once I was at work I had to work hard in getting grades entered for the two subs we have this term. Next term I am giving them my username and password and having them complete the grades themselves. 

There were no children at school, as we assumed would be the case. While I was entering grades some of my English teachers sat in my office, relaxed, and chatted the day away. 

Monday evening we decided we would go to the mall after Jack's last piano lesson. While at piano lessons I filled out a feedback form regarding my experience at the House of Arts. Needless to say, it was not nice. I received and email from the House of Arts while we were eating dinner at the mall. I responded to it once we were home, again, didn't mince words and was straight to the point. Basically they have a monopoly on the arts classes offered in Al Ain and their customer service is crap. I felt the need to point this out. 

I had showered the kids before we went to the mall so that once we were on our way home they could just fall asleep, but neither of them did. 

After work on Tuesday I felt very accomplished. I finished the grades and got sorted for the week we come back after the new year for our week of professional development. I am in charge of most of the training, which is fine with me. 

After school on Tuesday, I took Jack to the doctor. He has been kind of wetting himself for the last few days. He has become so upset by it. It really upset me as well. He was embarrassed. In the end I convinced him to put on a pantyliner to catch the pee. I do realize one day he will hate me for it, but it is an effective method until we can sort something else out. The doctor took a urine sample and said he would call on Wednesday with the urinalysis and on Thursday with the culture results. I was hoping it was an infection so he could take some medicine and get it over with. 

Wednesday morning Elfvis took a selfie with the picture Grammie and Pop gave us of themselves. He put the selfie on the lock screen of both Stuart's and my phone. 
The kids don't get tired of his antics but we are running out of ideas. Thank goodness Gina has sent us a few ideas. 

On Wednesday morning the teachers did a walk around to each other's classes. I thought it would be a good way for teachers to see what others were doing. Sometimes we see what others are doing and it can enhance our teaching. Everyone seemed to enjoy it, plus there was the promise of donuts when we finished. 

The doctor called on Wednesday afternoon and said Jack didn't have an infection.so we would wait until the culture came back to know what we should do. 

Millie had her last dance class Wednesday evening and I did not shy away. In fact, her teacher was as friendly as a pup to me. 

When we returned home from dance Cathy, Kayleigh and Claire were at our house. They came for the kids' gift exchanges and dinner. The kids got two new games. I'm not sure who enjoyed Connect 4 more, Jack and Millie or Grammie and Pop. 

School was just a formality on Thursday. We signed in, had a potluck with the EMT staff and then left at 11:30 am. 

Once we were home we decided to go out into the dunes. It was the first real dune bashing Stuart had done and it kind of made me sick. After the dunes we decided to go to the Oasis in Al Ain, as well as the Al Ain Museum. It was a treat as we had never been there before. It simply takes having visitors to see all the sites in the place you live. 
Al Ain Museum

Thursday evening we went for dinner at the golf club. Clare, Scott and the kids, as well as Cathy, joined us for dinner. We fed 11 people, with a few glasses of wine and 2 beers, all for less than $100. Stuart's position as the treasurer is going to pay off it seems. There is nothing wrong with a 50% discount on food. Lovely!
Elfvis decided the candy canes in the box on the kitchen table needed to be on our tiny, fake tree. 

Friday we went to church. The kids were in the nativity but I wasn't aware they needed costumes. I wasn't aware that was part of agreeing to them being in the play. Whoops!
This was before the service. They had on their Christmas clothes from Grammie. 
Millie was an angel and Jack was one of the Wise Men. 

After church we came home and had a bite to eat before our craft group came over for our Christmas crafts. All the kids seemed to have a good time, but by the time everyone left, I was exhausted. It's tough to plan a party for 12 kids. 
Each child made 4 crafts; 3 were ornaments and the other was a fleece winter pillow. These items were part of our full bags coming back from our summer in Arizona. 
Grammie helped Millie complete her crafts. 

Stuart grilled out chicken and we had grilled vegetables as well. Millie was in bed by 6 pm, and Jack was in bed shortly after we ate dinner.  I had put Millie to bed, but Jack had Stuart take him to bed as I was cleaning up from dinner. Once all the dishes were washed I went upstairs to tell Jack goodnight. He was sitting on his bed holding a book. I asked him why he had a book. He said he was waiting for me to come and ready him a book. Stuart was busy putting the tv that had been in the loft in our bedroom. I asked him if he told Jack I would come up to read him a book and he said 'oh yeah', to which I informed him that the next time he tells Jack I am coming to read him a book, maybe he should inform me as well. 

After Jack was in bed and all was right with the world again, Stuart left to take Cathy and her girls to the airport so they could go back to the UK for Christmas. 

I was in bed when he returned, watching tv. Yahoo! Most nights I stay downstairs when he goes to bed in order to watch tv. I sometimes end of sleeping on the sofa for a while. But now I am more than happy to go to bed because I can fall asleep with the tv on and be where I am supposed to be for the night. 

Stuart and Jack left the house just before 7 am to go to the desert and set up the fire and shade tent. We had organized a breakfast in the desert for friends and family. Millie, Grammie, Pop and myself got out there about 8 am and were shuttled into the desert by the vehicles that could go on the sand. 

We had breakfast, enjoyed good conversation with old and new friends, and sang Christmas carols. It was a lovely morning. 
The 'rents in the desert. 
A view from the top of a dune. 
Millie enjoyed body surfing down the dune. 
The best part for the kids was climbing up the dune then sliding down in some fashion. 
Singing carols was fun because Jack could actually follow along by reading. Yahoo!
Once we were home from the dunes, and clean, the kids opened their gift from Uncle Mitch. They were musical, moving toys. They loved them. He also bought them mustaches. We all had fun with those. 
What we won't do for small children. 

The rest of the afternoon we watched Jim Carey in the Grinch that Stole Christmas, sat outside and watched the kids ride their bikes, and did a whole lot of nothing, which I love a lot. 

Our first few days of vacation have been wonderful!








No comments:

Post a Comment