Sunday, February 21, 2016

Too far until spring break

Sunday I had one observation and then went home. I wasn't well at all. My stomach had given me trouble the night before. I figured it was something I ate that my stomach decided was not good for my body. I guess it's all part of the process. 

I didn't go to rugby, but stayed home and painted Millie's nails. It's the only way she will stay home with me. Jack and Stuart got home just as I was putting Millie to bed. Jack had hot dogs, 4 exactly (meat only) and green beans. Then he was off to bed. 

Monday school was rough. At the end of the day I decided to do as Elsa from Frozen would do, and 'Let it go!'  It's really the only way I can stand it all. Investing time and energy doesn't always pay off in this system. It's deflating, but a part of life I guess. 

I got home and took Jack to the dentist for a check up and cleaning. The dentist said his permanent teeth on the bottom were not fully erected so she shaved down the ones on either side to give more room for his permanent ones to grow in. She shaved some baby teeth so no harm was done. He also had his molars sealed so he would have them protected from cavities. The insurance didn't cover the cleaning and we paid 20% for the seals. So the total charge was $145, which I thought was pretty good. 

He was a trooper and I owed him big time for this. He didn't really know what was going to happen and neither did I. Oops! Thank goodness he came first because Millie was going to be a whole different story when she came on Tuesday. 
Little did we know he would be in the chair for almost an hour. Ugh!

Once we were home and he got over the horrible taste of the flouride he couldn't rinse out for a half hour, he showered and relaxed. Then he was able to eat and regain some control. Poor kid. He stayed brave while in there, but couldn't hold it together after the dentist. Once he was fed, all was well. 

Once the kids were in bed, Stuart was gone to rugby, and Kayleigh was over to babysit, I was off for my one month check up with the doctor and dietician. I didn't make an appointment because the doctor told me after my surgery that all I had to do was show up and there was no fee so I thought that meant I didn't have to have an appointment either. Wrong!  After making an appointment and finding out he still had two patients before me, I decided to shoot up to the dietician. When I got there she was with another woman and a gentleman was waiting to see her. Because there are separate waiting rooms for men and women, he had to wait somewhere else and the lady at the front desk said she would call him when the dietician was ready for him. He came back about 10 minutes later and insisted that she was seeing another patient and his turn had passed. Well, of course I had to pipe in and say, 'No, actually that is the same woman because I am waiting as well and no one has come out of that office.'  That shut him up, he stormed off, which I assumed meant I was next in line now. Yahoo for me!

I saw the nutritionist, who gave me no more information than I already had. I decided that I would probably not need to see her again, especially since she charges $35 a visit.  No need for that expense since I can read information online just like the next person. I finally saw the doctor who was pleased with my progress. I got vitamins and a B12/B6 shot, and it only took 2 hours. 

School was better on Tuesday primary because I ignored the negative and got on with my job. 

When I got home from school I took Millie to the dentist. Because it was her first ever visit she had an exam and a cleaning. She was a trooper and didn't whine or cry once. 
She was very cooperative, much to my surprise. 
She had her teeth cleaned and got to wear these cool shades. 

Wednesday I had training for our yearly exams. It was riveting. As much as I would love to believe they take the testing as seriously as they do in the states, it's just not true. Those exams will be in 3 more weeks and then school is basically over, or at least according to the children. 

After my training I decided to go to the gymnastics place close to our house. I signed Millie up for 12 sessions. We will see if she likes it and if so we will continue. She started Saturday. 

After school because Jack didn't have piano lessons again, the kids played with some of their friends after homework was done. I went to the dentist for my cleaning as the kids were eating dinner. 

The dentist, a lady of course, x-rayed my teeth and there was nothing wrong with them, thank goodness and surprising since I hadn't been to the dentist is over 3 years. She also cleaned them, but not before removing some of the stains from my teeth with what I can only describe as a sand blaster. She sprayed it around my mouth and the residue got all over my face. Thank goodness I had goggles on. It made my gums bleed, but I think it was part of the cleaning process as well. It was salt based and my teeth really did feel good after she was finished, but boy did it hurt during the process. 

Thursday after school we did our weekly shopping and fed the kids at McDonalds. Just as the kids were finishing their meal, Scott messaged and said they were going to eat at the rugby club. Well, we decided to at least let the kids go there and play. We stayed for a couple of hours and then it was a rush to get the kids home for showers so I could head off to my first Arabic engagement party. 

Cathy went with me. The lady who invited me was Azza. I met her at the House of Arts while Jack was taking piano lessons. She was so sweet, and since I have discovered she knows a lot of the same people I know. 

It was such a wonderful experience. Unlike an Emirati wedding, which you walk into and sit down at dinner tables that are set up in a conference style setting, all seats facing the front stage, the engagement party was held by Egyptians. All Arabic cultures do things differently. There was dancing when we first came in. It was still just all women, but it was way more relaxed and there was a lot more music and it was more of a party atmosphere. We got there around 8 pm and the engaged couple, who was Azza's brother, came in at about 9 pm. They walked in as if they were walking down the aisle. It was ceremonial for sure. They then went away for a while, came back, and then the engagement jewels were presented to everyone and the couple put them on as well. They were gorgeous. 
There were a lot of diamonds. 

The couple then cut a cake and went to the buffet to get some food. Cathy and I followed because we were instructed to do so. It was a great party. The part that was unusual was that the engagement happened the previous Sunday and it was a surprise to the to-be-groom and the to-be-bride. It seems that the groom's father is in the UAE for just a short time. They went to some friends' house and while they were there the father announces that the family is there to ask for the daughter's hand in marriage to Ibrahim, the very surprised groom-to-be. This is how some of traditions of Islam play out. We were under the impression that Ibrahim was trying to get used to the idea. 

Friday morning we got up and headed to the club. We weighed in and Stuart stayed for the day because the Olympic qualifying rugby teams were playing all day. 

I spent most of the morning sorting through some clothes to give to the collection for the Fijians who were effected by the cyclone that hit them recently. I gathered up 2 bags of clothes that were either worn out or I hadn't worn in over a year. 

I did one more exciting thing on Friday morning. I booked our holiday to Sri Lanka! Oooo, I'm so excited. We are staying at a beach resort called Mount Laninia Hotel. It looks fantastic. We also hope to visit the Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage just about 50 miles from our resort. With all the traveling we have done, we have never had a holiday with just the four of us. We have always either traveled with friends or family. I am really looking forward to it. The thought of this trip will help me to press on for the next 4 weeks of school. 

We headed to the pool just after 1 pm for our official first swim of the summer season. 
Winter is officially over in Al Ain. 

After the swim we went to the pitch side of the club and waited for Stuart to play at 5 pm. They got beat by 2 points, but it was a good match. Some of the teams they play against have a roster of about 100 people to choose from each week because they are from much bigger cities where the expat population is much lager. The average age on the other teams is probably about 28 years old, whereas the average age on the Al Ain Amblers team is probably about 35 years old. They do really well considering they all play every week and are not as young and spry as their opponents. 

Stuart stayed at the club and listened to the band the club paid for. Since he is a committee member he is expected to support things such as that. The kids and I headed home for bed. 

Saturday morning we got up and watched some movies while Stuart went to the club to clean up from Friday night. He then headed to the grocery store for meat. The Rouvis decided to have a meat fest at their house. 

We headed there around noon. It was the hottest day of the year so far and we were all sweating up a storm. The kids rode their bikes and played outside all afternoon, not caring about the heat. 

Millie and I left the Rouvis around 4 pm to go to her first gymnastics class. She had a new little outfit and everything. She was so excited. 
I'm not sure what you call this but she seemed really good at it. 
And doesn't she look cute?

There were only three children in her class. It was an hour long and she loved it. We got in the car and she said, 'I listened really well, Mama.' I complimented her on paying attention and listening, then I told her that when the teacher was trying to correct her, she didn't need to say, 'I know. I know.'  I told her we pay money for the teacher to make corrections and help her get better. She said, 'But I do know how to do a crab walk,' which, might I add, she kept crumbling to the ground because she was moving too fast. This was what the teacher was trying to point out. 

After we left gymnastics we headed to the club to pick up Jack and Stuart. We stayed for about half an hour so Millie didn't feel slighted, then headed home for showers, a bowl of cereal and bed. 

We had a very full week and I might need another weekend to recover from all the activity. 


No comments:

Post a Comment