Sunday, July 17, 2016

Branson and banjo playin'

I was up on Sunday morning at about 6:30 am. I brewed the coffee and enjoyed the peace and quiet. My parents didn't have their televisions hooked up and so sitting and drinking coffee was the only thing to do, and of course I finished up last week's blog. 

No one was awake until after 8 am. I can't remember the last time I had the morning to myself. I could get used to this country lifestyle. Once everyone was awake we just chatted and consumed a lot of coffee. Grammie and Pop rolled in from their trek across the states just before noon. 
We opted for a lunch at home and then headed to Dick's 5 and Dime, where all the old time candy and toys are apparently housed. It was crazy. There were drinks and sweets that I drank and ate when I was a child, but since have disappeared off shelves of stores. It was a little like Water and Ice meets Woolworths. It was a bit overwhelming, but we still managed to spend some money. 
On the way to Dick's we had to have a picture with Uncle Mitch. 
We decided to have an early bird dinner at around 4 pm at a place called The Farmhouse. It was a very popular place because we had to wait for 15 minutes. The breakfast was nothing to write home about, but it was a filler. We headed to Walmart again for some more provisions. Walmart might be the local hangout. There were tons of people there. I really do think the original 'People of Walmart' photos had to have been taken in this particular Walmart, but everyone is friendly. 

Jack had been a bit excited in Walmart. I may have had a conversation with him about settling down, which didn't take hold until after we came out in the parking lot and he flung the car door open into someone else's Chrysler 300 and cracked a tail light. Super! Fortunately we left my dad's phone number on the windshield. Apparently the owner of the car was handy, and by the time he called my dad, he had ordered the part and was going to fit it himself. It was only a $50 lesson for Jack (aka 'us'). 

Once we were home the kids jumped in the shower, spent some time playing with the toys we had purchased at Dick's 5 and Dime, had a snack and then headed to bed. Millie was so wound up and tired that by the time we started reading, she was out of control. I finally had to have Stuart come down and sit in our room with her while I finished reading to Jack. Needless to say, it was more difficult because she was so loud next door. 

Once the kids were settled, Stuart and I played pitch with Grammie and Pop. It took us a bit to remember how to play, but once we did it was on like donkey kong. We played until nearly midnight and, sadly, Grammie and Pop beat us. But we knew we would have other nights to reclaim our victory. 

Monday morning I got up and walked around my mom and dad's subdivision. The Ozark mountains around me were spectacular. It was a bit humid, but tollerable because the temperature wasn't ridiculously high. 
I saw several bunnies on my walk, but was only able to catch this one on camera.
There are gigantic hills in their neighborhood that once you walk down them, you must also come back up. Yikes! You can't even see the bottom of this one. I might have been huffing and puffing in this picture. 

Once I returned home I headed to the porch for coffee. We sat on the porch for a couple of hours, while the kids played with their toys. 
Most mornings in Branson are spent on the porch. 

Around 11 am we decided to go out and get the yard work done. A storm had come through a week or so ago and there were little twigs everywhere. We picked those up before we all took a turn at mowing the yard. 
Jack helped also, and Stuart told him this would be his job once we returned to Arizona. 
Millie didn't help with the yard, but she helped Uncle Mitch clean some of the accessories of the house. 

Because we were all a little more than sweaty, we showered, had a bite of lunch, and headed back into town. We went to a flea market where Mitch found this lovely number, a denim apron, just what everyone needs. 
A little bedazzling would be exactly what this apron needs. 
The kids posed with Grammie and Uncle Mitch. 
By the fountain with the family. 
My brother and I look more alike than I ever realized, including the hot pink shirts. 

We shopped at Branson Landing for a bit and naturally I purchased some sweet new clothes. We stopped for some iced coffees and sat and talked for almost an hour.  We headed back to the house, while Grammie and Mitch went to Walmart. Really, it is the highlight of the town. 

Once we were back at the house, the kids watched Toy Story, which was the first television they had watched since we arrived in Branson.  The dish had just been installed that morning and now all was right with the world. 

After Mitch and Grammie returned from Walmart, it was about dinner time. Since the Telford family are not in the country on their birthdays, there is usually a birthday party for all of us when we are together in the summer. So Monday night was the birthday party. We had Chalupa for dinner and then presents. The kids got walkie talkies and had a blast with them. The kids gave me some beautiful Brighton jewelry and of course I got cold hard cash from the folks. 

The ice cream man came just after we had birthday cake, but why does that matter. It seemed fitting that Jack got some ice cream from his own company. 
Ice cream from the ice cream truck is the best. Bed for the kids and pitch for the adults was in order for the evening. 

Tuesday morning we got up and Stuart and I went for a walk. The hills are almost unbearable. It's a much better work out than my flat land in Arizona or Al Ain. 

We went into town to the Branson Landing to exchange a ring the kids bought me that was too big. We were going to go to the Farmer's Market, but it ended up being a bust. Instead, the kids and I rode the train. 
Because the Farmer's Market wasn't what we thought it would be, we decided to go to Sam's Club in Springfield, but really it was a trick and we ended up going to Lambert's restuarant for my birthday dinner. 
Jack loved the fact that they threw homemade rolls at anyone who wanted them. It's a country food restuarant and their gimmick is the 'throwed rolls'. It was yummy. 

We went home and the kids played in Grammie's jacuzzi tub, making suds beards and getting water everywhere. 
Once the kids were in bed, our wicked pitch tournament continued. We killed my mom and dad, finally. 

I set my alarm for Wednesday morning so I would get up and walk, but instead I turned it off and didn't walk at all. We spent the morning tidying up and getting ready for my aunts and uncles to arrive. 

Everyone started arriving just after 11. My mom's brother, sister, their spouses, 3 of my cousins and a second cousin that Jack played with all day. It was great to catch up with everyone. I hadn't seen some of my relatives since Jack was a baby. So they had never met Millie. One of my uncles is almost 90 and I'm pretty sure I had the best conversation with him. We must have talked for 45 minutes and not one time did I remember his age, which is unusual. He is still of sound mind and up on current events, not stuck in the 70s. 

Everyone left around 4 pm and we made arrangements to go watch Nate's baseball game the next day. Nate is my cousin Jeff's son and is 10 years old. He and Jack got along swimmingly. 

The evening was filled with bath fun in Grammie's jacuzzi tub again and then bed. We played pitch again on Wednesday night and got killed again. Ugh! 

I ran and walked 4.5 miles on Thursday morning as an incentive to not have to get up early on Friday. Since we were planning to go to Silver Dollar City on Friday I knew we would be walking a lot anyway. The view was different because I went much earlier than normal and there was fog out. 
We went to see Nathan play ball. Jack was so excited. Nate is a pitcher and a pretty good one at that. It was toasty out there, but was cooler in the shade which fortunately was provided for us by the bleachers. 
After the game, which sadly Nate's team lost, we went to eat at the Cracker Barrel. Jeff and Nate were planning to go swimming at the Rec Plex just up the street from my parents' house, which ironically enough was our plan for the day as well. So it ended up that Jack got to play two days in a row with a cousin he just met. Jack never met a boy he didn't like. 
After the pool, Jeff and Nate came to the house so the boys could play Wii. 

Once the cousins left, the kids had another adventure in the jacuzzi. They were then fed and settled down with some Disney channel, under the watch of Pop. Stuart, Mom, Mitch and I headed to, you guessed it, Walmart. 

The night ended with a game of pitch where Stuart and I redeemed ourselves and tied up the series, 2-2. 

We were up and on the porch with coffee at 7 am. The bug guy came at 9 am and we left for our day of adventure at Silver Dollar City as soon as he was finished, and what a day it was. There were a lot of rides closed, unfortunately, but we still managed to stay almost 8 hours and have a load of fun. Millie road her first roller coaster, and although she looked as if she was going to cry at the end, she decided it was a lot of fun. 
The train is almost always a must, and Jack's goofy face is guaranteed. 
The kids loved the kiddie rides and I nearly barfed on this ride because I was riding backwards. 

The kids were nearly perfect all day, not a whine from either of them. Once we left Silver Dollar City we went to eat dinner at a place called the Red Barn. The kids ate like little piggies. After dinner, we were home, showered and in bed shortly after 9 pm. It was a wonderful, but exhausting day. 

Saturday morning we were up and getting ready for the Pennell clan to show up for the day. I was able to catch up with two of my cousins that I have not seen in 30 years. My dad's twin brother, his sister, and his first cousin also came. We had such a great time. We visited and ate lunch and visited some more. 
We were missing 2 older cousins, but we still had a great time. It made me know that family should be first and foremost in your life. Everyone loved Stuart and the kids. Jack met another one of his cousins, Nick. They had a blast together. Jack has had nothing but fun since we got back to the states on July 7. Poor kid is going to be bored when we get back to the UAE. 

Okay, the Branson we saw this week is not the Branson people knew years ago. Yes, there are still the hillbilly themes and country stereotypes, but this place is an entertainment haven. My parent's house is gorgeous and will be a place we will spend our time once we are back to the states for good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment