Sunday, September 25, 2016

The fun continues, and the Telford clan is coming to Dubai!

It seems that we have a full teaching staff. We even have someone to cover for our English teacher out on maternity leave. So, my fear of having to be in a grade 1 boys' class did not come to pass, thank goodness. My job on Sunday was to finalize the books we still needed. Just before school was out, I went to another school and collected more books. Now, we are only missing 4 reading sets. That's not too bad considering we were missing about 100 books, initially. I'm sure those other four will show up at some stage, Inshallah!

I got home just before Millie was dropped off on Sunday. Once she was home, she did her reading and then sat down to watch a little television. Stuart got home just in time for me to go and pick Jack up from swim squad. Once I was home with Jack, he started his homework and I was off again. 

Since I sold my car, I needed to get the title changed. But of course the lady that told me all I had to do was bring the buyer up and change the names on the registration was no where to be seen when I was told differently on Sunday. It seems that the insurance needs to be changed to the new owner. That should have been easy, but since we got our insurance online it was a bit more challenging. In the end we would have to go back another day. Oh well, so it is. 

Once I was back from the registration place, I changed clothes and headed to the rugby club to meet the kids and Stuart. The kids finally got their rugby kits, and they looked so cute in them. 
I walked and ran 4.5 miles in an hour, which is a exited for me, I'm pretty sure. I had to combat the cashews I had eaten that afternoon. I also chatted with some folks, and then we headed home for supper, showers and bed. Now that Jack is 8, his bed time has been moved to 7:30 pm. Actually, he has never needed as much sleep as Millie, but the decision to officially move the time was easier for both of them to handle because we attributed it to him turning 8. Well, this is all well and good unless you get home from rugby at 7 and are not finished eating until 7:30. At that point it doesn't seem special because your little sister is going to bed at the same time. 

I love my mornings now. Although I'm late to school everyday, I get to spend about 30 minutes with the kids before they are picked up for school. Their breakfasts, teeth and getting dressed is complete and we sit in the living room until Mr. Brian picks them up. It's great. Clearly, Pumpkin likes that time as well. 

Monday I was in meeting most of the morning. Our Cluster Manager, although he came to our school, had been deleted from emails the previous day. So basically he no longer had a job. In this country your contract can be terminated at any time. They also can release you after you are 60 years old. He knew this might happen and he was prepared. It seems unfair, but we all know what we have signed up for so that's how it goes. 


After school the teachers were supposed to meet with their Arabic counterparts, but instead we threw a surprise baby shower for one of our English teachers. We showered her with diapers to last at least a few months. She was embarrassed, but very grateful. 


After school I headed to Heritage Village to celebrate DeDe's birthday with her and a few of her friends. I stayed for a little over and hour and then headed home so Stuart could go to rugby training. 


When I got home I received a message about an incident that happened at Jack's birthday party. It was a bit of a shame because it seems that the three boys involved had three different stories and one of the moms thought her son's story was gospel. In the end I just said that I was sure the boys could sort it out and I was sorry. What else can you say at that point? 


Jack's second night staying up until 7:30 was a bigger deal on Monday night. He laid on the sofa at 7, watching yet another episode of Alvin and the Chipmunks, and announces, 'It's not 7:30 yet. Mama, thanks for making my bedtime later.'  He was very pleased that he was being given more time awake. 
Oreo was pleased that he was awake longer, as well. 

Once Jack was in bed, I continued watching trash shows on television. His being up later has curbed that for me a bit. Boo!

Stuart got home from rugby, had dinner, and we were both in bed by 10 pm. I hadn't felt brilliant all day and I blamed the humidity. For some reason it has been unseasonably humid the last week or so. I'm really ready for it to cool down. 

Tuesday Stuart stayed home from school with back spasms. However, an injection from the hospital fixed him all up. 

School has settled down a great deal and the new Vice Principals are starting to prove their worth. They have taken on a lot of duties that I used to do, which were the things I didn't like to do. It's awesome!  

I covered in a grade 4 girls' class on Tuesday. It was so entertaining. One students said she had been singing English karaoke. She started singing 'Let's Marvin Gaye get it on', which I'm pretty sure would qualify as haram. 


When I got home from school I helped Jack with his homework. I then rushed off to get the title of the car I sold changed over to the new owner, finally. That was a bit more of a hassle than I had thought it would be, but it's done now and we are back to being owners of two cars instead of three. 


Jack had play rehearsal and I informed the director he would not be there, after Wednesday, for the following four practices. She was not happy, but that was too bad because Stuart's family was coming into town and family time is more important to us than a play. I'm sure him missing rehearsal is not going to totally screw up the play, or at least I hope it doesn't. 


While he was at rehearsal I went across the street to Gift City, again. I found so many items there that are cheaper than anywhere else. This place is a little bit like a variety store they had back in the day. They have every thing you can think of and more. I had a great time shopping. I picked Jack up at 6:30. He had already had 2 pbjs and a bag of Cheetos, but still when we got home he wanted to eat. He's a growing boy, I suppose. 


Stuart and Millie had rugby practice and was home, bathed, and had eaten when Jack and I returned. So she scooted off to bed while Jack had a bite to eat. 


Wednesday morning I had an observation. Our pregnant teacher is due any day now and we had to get her first term observation completed before that time. 


While at school I got a panicked message from Ciera's mom, a little girl in Millie's class. She needed us to collect Ciera from school as the person who normally picks her up was unable to do so and they didn't know until mid day. So thankfully, Brian was able to help us out. I'm not sure how we would make it here without the kind expats that surround us. 


I ended up picking Jack up from his soccer practice. He was super chatty on the way home about what he had been learning in school. We are so thrilled that both kids are so happy at their new school. It makes the money we spend on the school fees totally worth it. 


Jack had rehearsal Wednesday evening and Millie had to go with us because Stuart had training. Millie was weepy after school and didn't really stop until she was asleep that evening. She was clearly tired.  She sounded as if she was getting a cold, so that didn't help. 


Once we were home, Jack ate and showered. Millie faked being asleep so I would carry her to bed. She had already had a shower before we left for rehearsal. Once I was back downstairs she came out of her room and asked if I could come and sing her a song. Cheeky!  
Millie was watching a movie at Starbucks while Jack was at rehearsal. 

Thursday was full of angry parents. I was not involved in any of the meetings, which was so nice. These meetings are often volatile, but have become more manageable with the new Vice Principals. They seem to put people in their place, and they have the wasta (power) to do so.  


When I got home Cathy came over for a cup of tea. We decided we would go to the rugby club. Kids had a swim


We chatted with the Richardsons, Sean, Mandy, Cathy, and Nick, Stuart's rugby coach. Since the restaurant is still not finished at the club, attendance on the weekend is still a bit low. 


We left the club just before 9 pm for showers and bed. Jack had a slight meltdown about his rubics cube, which made no sense at all other than he's 8 years old. He finally hit the bed around 9:30 pm and fell fast asleep. 


We were up Friday and I packed for our two days in Dubai. The Islamic new year gave us Sunday (October 2) off so we were thrilled because we were going to take the day off anyway to hang out with the Telfords coming from England and Australia. 


A boat trip had been arranged for Sunday, but was quickly moved to Saturday when the Telfords discovered Sunday would be a 'dry' day because of the holiday. Crisis averted! 


Friday morning I went to get a pack and play from our rugby friend's house for my new niece, Zoe. When I arrived home I discovered the kids had built a fort.  I ate some breakfast Stuart saved for me and then asked the kids to clean up their mess.  After they cleaned up the fort they were off to Sam and Michael's for a play. 


I headed to have the car cleaned, get gas, and money for our weekend. I also had to hit the grocery store for a snack to share at my Travel Treasures 'favorites' party for Friday evening. 

Stuart and Sean were so excited to wear their kilts after their match in Dubai. They were so excited. They got killed, but it was okay since they had their kilts. 

Kayleigh came over around 5 pm and I headed out for my night out. Stuart had left for his rugby match around 3 pm. It was in Dubai and he wouldn't be home u til late. I had also been invited to a wedding. This is the first wedding I have attended where I actually knew the bride. 


So after a very fun 'favorites' party, I came home and got changed, then headed to the wedding. I wasn't sure if I would see anyone there from school or not. The bride is one of our teacher assistants. 


I arrived at a location that did not seem like a wedding venue, but it was the place Amina had pinned me. I put my hazards on and sat in a parking space for a bit. Before too long a boy, about Jack's age, came up to the car and tried to answer my questions. The conversation went like this:


Me: Is this Amina's wedding?

Him: No English. 

Me: Wedding? Girls? (Pointing toward what sounded like a party) Benat? ('Girls' in Arabic)

Him: (pulling out his iPhone to have me speak into his google translate app)

Me: Wedding (speaking loudly into the iPhone)

Him: Men


Clearly I was in the wrong place. I headed my car to the wedding venue I knew and looked for my principal's rental car. I parked and went in. It was more crowded than I had ever seen in a wedding. I then found out there were three brides there. Wow! Amazing!  


After sitting there for a while, the brides finally started coming in. As each bride came in my principal and I would comment 'that's not Amina'. We did that for each bride. Yes, you guessed it, we sat through an entire wedding at the wrong wedding. We both just laughed and said this could only happen and go unnoticed in the UAE. 


Once I was home I showered, finished packing, watched some television and waited for Stuart to get home. He went up to bed and I did my usual, watched television through my eye lids. 


We got up and headed to Dubai after getting ice for the much needed beer in the gigantic cooler we had borrowed from the club. We got to the hotel around 10:30 and we're able to check in. However, there was no room available that early so we went to James and Lou's room. The kids reunited and all the fun began. 

Jack, Billy, Millie, Josh and Zoe; the Telford grandchildren reunite. The only one missing is Hope, Stuart's daughter. 
 

We headed to the marina just before noon and boarded the boat. It was Stuart's dad and step mum, his step brother (Barnes) and wife (Anna), his brother (Matt) and son (Josh), his brother (James), wife (Louise), son (Billy) and daughter (Zoe), childhood friend (Kate) and husband (Murray). It was a full boat and a whole lot of fun 


We cruised for 4 hours, had adventures on a banana boat, jumped of the side of the yacht, had a BBQ and drank a lot of beer (not me, of course). 

The whole crew was ready for an adventure. 
I was so happy to see Louise and the entire family, especially our new sweet little niece, Zoe. 
The boys and their dad, together again. 
Stuart and his brothers are really close. Stuart might have needed a larger life vest. 
The banana boat was a hit with the kids and the adults. 
And nothing ends a perfect trip like a good BBQ. 
Look at those sweet babies of ours. 
Barnes took the ultimate selfie!

Once we were off the boat, it was a race to get back to the pool bar before they stopped serving drinks. We had quite the time because taxis refused to put up those needing a ride back to the hotel. The marina is a horrible place to get around and if the cab driver knows you want to go to another place on the marina they will avoid the fare. So I did two trips to the hotel in our car. 


Once back at the hotel, we hit the pool bar. By the time the bar closed, the Australian crew were wiped anyway, decided to head up for showers and then a bite to eat in the buffet restaurant downstairs. 


While we were eating with Louise and James, the gave us the ultimate honor. They asked us if, while we were in Australia, we would be a part of Zoe's christening and be her god parents. I nearly cried. I know we life worlds away from each other, but I do feel as if we are close to James and Louise. I was so touched and so thrilled with being that big of a part in her life. I'm so excited!


On that high note, we headed up to our room with Kate, Murray, Barnes and Anna, even though the kids had fallen asleep in the restaurant chairs. We carried them up, put them to bed and enjoyed a good conversation for over an hour. 


They left and Stuart and I called it a night. What a great way to start our week with the family!




Millie's pictures from this week at school. 

No comments:

Post a Comment