Sunday, January 22, 2017

Busy, busy, busy!

Well, my teaching regime started on Sunday with grade 4 girls, which was very bearable. This is a new assignment for three periods a day until our ill teacher returns. Once the three periods were over Sunday morning, I reflected on how much I actually did like teaching and that I was pretty good at it. 


The rest of the day was filled with catching up on things I had missed while on my extended holiday. I got home and immediately left to get Millie and Jack. Mr. Brian's battery died in his car so I headed to Brighton. I was able to get a coffee in the school cafe, so that was a bonus for sure. 


We got home, the kids did homework and we headed to rugby. I got on the exercise bike and discovered just how much I loathe my Fitbit. I thought I was to do 10,000 steps a day, which in the first 3 days didn't happen. But Stuart got 13k the same day I got 7K, so I just borrowed his extra. I didn't know you were supposed to do exercise on top of that. I hope I will get used to the demands of the Fitbit. 


On Monday I was told I had 15 minute walk throughs in 30 different classrooms over two weeks, plus we are starting formal evaluations and I have to enter my observations into the computer system. I just gained another full time job. Teaching grade 4 was actually fun, but the rest on top is definitely not a cherry. 


After school on Monday Asela, our house cleaner, went with me to take dryer to Sanaiya, the industrial area where you can get anything fixed for next to nothing. The shop didn't open until 4 so we had to wait. Once it opened, Asela did the talking and the guy said he would look at it. I got his business card and left the dryer. I just trusted he would give it back to me once it was fixed. 


On the way home I stopped to get milk and yogurt. Stuart took the kids to the club to eat dinner and I picked them up after I was finished with my shopping. I decided to stay at the club and eat as well, letting the kids play a bit longer with their friends. 


We got home, I bathed the kids, and let Jack stay up a little longer than usual. I marked books that the teacher I replaced had not done. I fell asleep on the sofa as usual. Once Stuart was home we watched Star Trek and then hit the hay. 


I was up to walk bright and early. Tuesdays are always the hardest day to get out of bed but I'm not sure why. I didn't have to go into school because I had training, but I did have to go in the afternoon. Boo! Stuart, on the other hand, was able to stay home after the training. I ended up only being there for an hour and a half, but I was there, which was the important part. 


When I got home Stuart had figured out how we could get Hulu again, thank goodness. He was off to get Jack from his gymnastics class while I started the new season of the Bachelor. When Stuart returned I was informed that Jack actually didn't have gymnastics, but instead, this term, he was to have two days of swim squad instead of just one. So it seems that he will just be involved in swim squad and basketball this term. 


Shortly after Jack returned we headed to rugby. I sat and chatted with some of the ladies and had a beverage. When the kids finished we let them play for a while, probably too long because there was a bit of a meltdown when we left and when we got home. I threw them both in the shower and then they were both off to bed. We followed shortly after them. 


School was hectic on Wednesday, as I did my best to fit in my walk throughs along with teaching half of the day. So needless to say, Wednesday  night was a lot of relaxing. Jack had a play date with Eleanor right after his basketball practice, which gave me the opportunity to put Millie to bed just after 6 and she was out in no time. Jack returned close to 8 pm and was wiped out. Everyone had a rough day. I even went to bed at 9. 


Thursday at school I was very busy again. I think that will be the theme for this term. The good thing about being busy is that the days fly by. When I got home I was greeted with a one Barnaby Bear, the stuffed toy from Millie's class. She received 'Student of the Week', which meant she was to bring home Barnaby Bear for the weekend. This translated into 'homework' for mom! We had to take pictures and show what Barnaby Bear did over the weekend. I was going to have Barnaby drinking a glass of wine, but I resisted. 

Barnaby Bear can read!
And he loves the rugby club. 
He gets a little queasy on the bouncy, though. 
He is always very safe in a car. 

I was told I could get the tumble dryer at 4 pm, so that's what I did after school. The repair was the equivalent to $70. When I first got to the area I got out of my car, went to the shop, and they had no idea what I was talking about. Their English wasn't great so Called Asela to translate. When I handed the phone to the shop owner, he spoke to Asela. A couple of minutes later he handed me the phone back and pointed to a shop 4 doors down. Oops, I had gone to the wrong place. 


When I did go to the right place, the guy plugged it in and started it. He showed me the drum was turning, and it sounded really normal. We shall see how long it works. 


We went to the club Thursday night and met up with Anthony. Anthony is the son of Ken's friends, Jane and Duwayne. He arrived here just before Christmas and has been a bit shell shocked. It was good to finally be able to catch up with him. We stayed long enough for the kids and I to sing a few songs on the karaoke machine. 

Barnaby rocked karaoke!

We were up Friday morning and were going to go to the club for breakfast. Because the golf club is being renovated the rugby club is supposed to start serving breakfast at 9 am, but true to form they didn't. So we waited for a bit and then the kids and I headed off to McDonalds for breakfast and then a grocery shop, which Stuart met with Sean regarding the Puckett rugby tour happening in May. 

This boy may eat us out of house and home. This was his second wrap and he ate part of my breakfast as well. 

When we got home from the grocery store there were cats mating in front of our villa entrance. That's always a special time. The kids don't ever ask questions about that. It did, however, cause me to have to break the news to them that the cat we refer to as Pearl, actually may be Prince or Prancer. Super!


The rest of Friday was full of kids playing outside and over at friends' houses while I had about a 3 hour catch up with DeDe. I hadn't really seen her since we returned so it was nice to sit, uninterrupted and chat. The kids had made a fort prior to scattering in the neighborhood, so we had to work around that, but we managed. 


Stuart had a rugby match in Dubai, so he left just before noon for that and Cathy came over for dinner. Jack and Millie bathed early because Jack went to someone's house without permission. He had said he was going to Keith and Ian's, but when they weren't home he traveled to Michael and Sammy's house. Although I don't mind him going there, the fact that he didn't come ask got his butt in a sling when he got home. Oh, and he was supposed to be home at 4 pm but I ended up fetching him at 4:30 pm. Oops! Maybe after being grounded the rest of the weekend, he learned his lesson. 


Stuart got home just after Cathy and I finished eating. He had gone to the club for a few beers after his match and then was home and watching a British sit com with us. If you have not checked out Miranda, do so. It's worth many giggles. 


Saturday morning we lounged around and hen headed to the club to get the car. Stuart went on to the grocery store to get some meat as we were having a BBQ at ours that evening. Sean, Mandy, Anthony, Cathy and her girls as well as our kids would be in attendance. Aside from getting ready for that fun, the day was rather lazy. 


Once everyone arrived for the food fest, we gathered in or back garden and Jack entertained us with some magic tricks and Millie pulled out her tea set and said she was doing magic tricks. I carted them off for showers around 6 pm, just after they ate, and they finished the evening watching a movie. The party ended just after 8 pm. After all, we all had work on Sunday. Boo!


I fell asleep on the sofa and awoke at 10:30 pm to a silent room. I headed upstairs and was asleep in no time. Thank goodness for another fun week and weekend in the UAE. 


No comments:

Post a Comment