Sunday, February 19, 2017

Children on half-term break? What?

In the middle of the night Sunday, Millie came into our room and said the cats were being ‘crazy’ in her room. Those cats will be the death of me.  I now love them so they have to stay, but boy they cause problems for us.  I walked her back to her bedroom and laid with her for a bit.  However, it must not have been long enough because about 15 minutes after I had returned to my bed, here she comes again.  I walked her back to her bed, and with a pouty face she begged me to come and sleep in our bed.  In order to get some sort of sleep I figured it was better than walking her back to her bed another 20 times before the morning.  When we were heading back to my room I noticed she had her little stuffed turtle in one hand and something else in the other.  I said, “What is that in your hand?” She showed me a book, and then laughed.  I giggled as well and said, “No book is coming into my bed. What were you going to do with it?” She promptly said, “I was going to read it!”  All I could think was, “Sure, reading a book in the dark at 2 am makes total sense to her.”

 

Once she was in our bed, she spent the next 20 minutes twirling her turtle in the air and making a ‘zoom’ sound. I finally rolled over, looked her dead in the face, and said, “Enough!”  I’m not sure when she went back to sleep, but she didn’t make any other noises.

 

I was up at my normal time, but the kids were on half-term break until Wednesdayso they got to lay their lazy tails in bed.  Kayleigh came over on Sunday to stay with them and said she finally woke Millie up at 8:15 am. They made forts and did homework, then watched television and played outside most of the day. 

 

Once we were home we went to rugby. I worked out on the exercise bike in the gym, and then we finally had the roast dinner. It was actually really good and worth the money. We stayed a bit longer at the club than usual because the kids didn’t have school.  We were home and the kids were showered and in bed at about 8:30 pm. The following morning they were going to Abu Dhabi.

 

I was late to school on Monday because I took the kids to Clare and Scott's. Clare took them to Abu Dhabi to play at Adventure HQ, a mountain bike/climbing/trampoline fun park. During half-term in November I had taken an emergency day to go with her, but we have had our emergency days taken away so I couldn’t do so this break. 

 


I went on to school.  We had a senior leadership meeting in the morning, where it was decided I would teach grade 4 the rest of the year. It was only fair to the students, but certainly not to me or my other English teachers.  We must do what we must do.  Also, on Monday, we celebrated the 100th day of school.  It has absolutely no significance on the UAE, but we had a great time with the activities all the same.

 

On my way home from school I called Clare and they were still in Abu Dhabi. The drive home was awful. There was a dust storm coming in, which made visibility very poor.  Its been threatening to rain for the past few days, yet still there has been no significant rainfall. I stopped for gas and then went home and waited for the kids. They arrived around 5 pm. We had decided since Jack didn't have school the following day, he could go to rugby training with Stuart, but the dust was unreal and just hovering in the air, so we backed out on that decision.

 

Cathy came over for a chat. She finally got her signed paper to move to her new school as a Head of Faculty, on Tuesday. She has been waiting for this appointment for a year and a half, and it finally came.  I was so thrilled for her.  Stuart got home and I was asleep on the sofa, as I always am.  He had brought pizza from the club.  Most Mondays and Wednesdays we are on our own for food because of his training.  It makes it super easy on me.

 

Tuesday, Valentine’s Day, I had a training in the morning. Because it didn’t last all day, I was able to drive to Dubai to pick up my new passport in the afternoon.  The process to renew your passport here seems a lot quicker than the process in the US.  I was home just in time for rugby practice. Stuart had a committee meeting after practice, so we drove separately.  I decided to feed the kids at the club because I couldn’t be asked to go home and make something.  We can feed them there for about $2.50, so that seems reasonable to me. 

 

On Wednesday morning I got up to walk for the first time all week.  Oops!  Some days I just can’t be bothered to get out of bed at 4:30 am.  But I must stay strong for Lara (right!).  I always feel better once I have walked.  School was okay, but busy. It's difficult to get caught up when there are so many people pulling me in so many directions. It seems that I can never get everything done in the school day, and I refuse to bring work home.  I figure I am working one and a half jobs now, so something will have to be sacrificed.  It seems it usually the minutes I’m supposed to type up from our senior leadership meetings. 

 

I drove straight from work to pick Jack up from basketball practice. He presented me with a slip of paper stating he would have a track meet on Sunday, the 19th, after his swim squad, but before rugby. I didn't even know he ran track. I really need to pay attention. 

 

Because the kids didn’t have homework on Wednesday they were allowed to stay outside and play a bit longer than usual.  The weather was a little better, but was still dusty.  The house had just been cleaned so I didn’t want them to play in the house at all.  Once they were in the house, it was showers, dinner and bed.  Stuart went to rugby training and I assumed the couch position.

 

Thursday was just another day at school.  But at the end of the day I was allowed to go to the school where I have requested to be transferred. The head of faculty there is going to go back to Australia.  She asked me if I would be interested in coming to meet her principal.  She stated that if her principal liked me it would be a done deal.  Her principal has ‘wasta’ (a lot of pull in the system).  So, I met her and the other senior leadership team.  I was very impressed with the school and look forward to working there next year.  It is an all girls’ school.  Alhamdulillah! (Thanks to God)  I am ready for a change.  I will miss the teachers at my school, but look forward to working with new people.

 

Thursday evening we went to a birthday party in the village.  Brian and Lara hosted a 60s themed party. Only one couple dressed up, and they maintained their costumes all evening.  They were adorable.  The party went on later than we could manage.  We left just before 10 pm to get the kids in bed. They live 5 doors down from us, so it wasn’t much of a struggle to get home.

 

Friday morning we were up and off to church.  They were serving breakfast at 9 am.  I should know better than to show up right at 9 am.  I’m not sure everything got in full swing until around 9:30 am. Rochelle and her kids were also there.  This particular Friday was the week of crafts after church. The kids always like that.  After church we headed to the mall to get a birthday voucher for a little boy’s birthday party Jack was to go to that evening.  In the end, the BBQ was canceled because the weather was horrible, blowing dust everywhere. But, once we were home from the mall, we headed to the club for the rugby match.  Stuart played well, but the wind and dust was so awful that it made it not that enjoyable.

 

Around 7:00 pm, we decided to move the party back to our house because of the weather.  The kids went straight to bed, after showering of course.  Sean, Cathy, Mandy, Stuart and myself sat in our back garden for a few hours, just talking and laughing.  Times like those are priceless for sure. 

 

Saturday morning Millie and I were up and ready for Cheeky Monkey, a new play area in the Al Ain Mall.  Prior to going, we Skyped Grammie and Pop and made further arrangements for our house to be spruced up before we rent it out.  It sounds as if my parents are pretty much going to have the house in shape before I get home in March.  I am beyond grateful for that.  

 

While Millie and I were enjoying time at Cheeky Monkey with some of her friends from school, Jack had his friend, Harry, over for a playdate.  I love this playdate thing.  I’m so glad my kids are old enough to play with friends.  They love it and it keeps them from fighting each other.

 

When Millie and I returned, we brought McDonald’s with us, which was pleasing to all three boys, Stuart included. Harry and Jack were playing nicely and they actually let Millie play with them for a bit.

 

Jack and I took Harry home around 5 pm.  As we were pulling up to his house, he told Jack that he would be amazed at how massive his house was.  It was so cute.  The expats who come to this country from Britain often find the houses to be beyond massive, which comparatively speaking to a typical UK home, it’s true. They are massive! And Harry did not lie, his house was massive.  I stayed and talked with his parents for a bit and then Jack and I were on the road home. Jack took a bath because he wasn't feeling so hot. Both kids ate and went to bed shortly after that. The week was complete and the weekend full of fun, as usual. 


No comments:

Post a Comment