Sunday, December 17, 2017

Time for Christmas break!

Sunday at school I was testing kids on the online exam we had to give.  The exam was supposed to be given a few weeks ago, but with everything else that had been going on we never had time to give it. I tested over half of our grade three kids, which was as good as it was going to get. We had very few students at school on Monday. Our grade 4 and 5 were there but only because they had exams. 


Just as I was finishing the exams, I got a call from our cleaner about Molly. It seems that Molly was barking her head off and the neighbor called security again, telling them he was going to call the police. Sadly, we had tried everything we could to get her to stop barking but she just didn’t seem to learn. It was decided that we would have to take her to find a new home. We couldn’t risk getting kicked out of our complex. We told the kids after school and they both cried and cried. I cried as well. It was very sad, but necessary. The kids were devastated. 


We stayed around the house Sunday evening as rugby training was over for the holidays. Clare, Scott and the kids came over so Scott could help Stuart pick up the new/used stove. We had a few cups of tea and chatted for a bit. I fed all the kids and when Stuart got home with the new stove, the Richardsons left. Jack and Millie moped around about Molly. I felt so badly. 


Monday morning the kids said goodbye to Molly and cried. Stuart took Molly to Abu Dhabi to a shelter. When he got there they told him they had a family who had been waiting for a dog just like Molly. That made us all feel better for sure. 


School was full of meetings as the principal wanted to meet with the English teachers. She told us how much she appreciated us. She asked for things that had gone well this term and things we wanted to see done differently for the next term. Not many teachers spoke. I’m not sure how comfortable they feel expressing their real opinions. 


I left school at 1:30 and went to the mall to get the rest of the things I needed for our Christmas craft day on Tuesday. I brought home KFC for the kids. I had made beef stew for dinner in the crock pot and it was delightful, but he kids would rather have KFC. 


The kids loved up on Duke because he seemed a bit down without Molly. They walked him when they got home. Cathy came over around 7 pm just to catch up and discuss holiday plans. 


Tuesday I spent the day making science assessments with some other heads of faculty. It was very productive and will hopefully help us do a better job with the teachers next term. I got home just after 1 pm and got some Christmas presents ordered on line. Stuart went to pick the kids up while I finished getting ready for the Christmas craft party, which was a huge success. 


Painting is fun!


Handprint manger. 


Fingerprint snowmen were a success. This might have been my favorite crafting night yet. 


Everyone left around 7, and Cathy and Claire came for a cup of tea. 


Wednesday there were no kids at school. I met with the English teachers to discuss data analysis. Riveting! Then we went into the teacher room for some food and to dance with some of the Arabic women. It’s always fun!


I left school around noon and then went to the mall to get my secret Santa a gift. I met Stuart at home and we went to lunch at a new place that serves gluten free pizza. It was quite delicious. 


I went to pick up the kids while Stuart went to help the neighbor who bought our old stove. She needed him to hook it up for her. 


Once we were home, the kids did their chores and then went outside to play. Stuart and I watched an episode of the Crown and found the relaxing time to be quite nice and a prequel to our upcoming holiday. 


Thursday was the last day before our two and a half week break. We had a luncheon at school and then were allowed to leave school at 11. I got home just before Stuart and the kids. They got out of school at noon. Both kids came home with excellent reports and a couple of achievement awards. We are so proud of their accomplishments. 


Thursday evening we went to Clare and Scott’s for curry. It was just nice to know we didn’t have to be anywhere for the next few weeks. The kids showered at the Richardsons and were both asleep before we got home Thursday evening. 


Friday morning was a lazy one. 


A hot chocolate kind of morning. 

Several cups of coffee and Skyping with Grammie and Pop was the only thing on the agenda. At noon we met the O’Rielleys, the Richardsons, and the Davisons all went to Christmas brunch. We are really going to miss the O’Rielleys and the Richardsons when they go home next summer. It’s the down side of making friends here. They do eventually go back to their home country and it’s sad. We had a great lunch and ended up taking the party back to our house.


My mini me!


My other mini me!




My favorite people ever!


We watched some Christmas movies and the kids played outside for a while. They went to bed and Sean, Cathy, Stuart and myself played cards for a while before calling it a night. 


Saturday morning we got up and went to the cinema. Sean, Stuart and Jack went to see the new Star Wars movie while Millie and I went to see Paddington 2. When Millie and I finished we did a bit of shopping. We went to the toy store to have Millie sit on a 20 inch bike, which as I suspected is going to be too big for her. Too bad, that’s what Santa ordered her and has yet to put together. I suppose she will figure it out. 


Once the boys were out of their movie, we headed home. I spent most of the afternoon on the sofa.....because I could. We watched a few Christmas movies and just enjoyed being lazy. The kids played outside most of the day. The weather right now is perfect. 


I ended up wrapping presents after the kids went to bed Saturday evening. I had Christmas with the Kranks playing on the television. It was a great way to end a perfect weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment