Sunday, November 11, 2018

The lead up to holidays can be hectic.

I walked Sunday morning and Lara joined me. Halfway through our walk a truck pulled up and a dog jumped out. It seemed as if they were going to let it lose and drive off, but they didn’t mean for it to get lose. Natrally Duke barked. What? He never barks. But the dog came right to us so the girl in the car could grab it. 

At school we started the rehearsal for our Year 2 show. It was written by Millie’s teacher and is loosely based on Peter Pan. We have several songs in it that we have changed the words to. I am choreographing the dances, which makes me wish my friend Brenda Johnson lived a bit closer. 

After school on Sunday, Millie and I  didn’t go to rugby training as I needed to start working on my school reports and she needed to go to bed at a decent hour. For three hours I sat and wrote a narrative about the personal development of my students. Goodness!

Once Stuart and Jack were back from the club, Stuart and I watched some television. Millie gave us grief when she went to bed so keeping her home to go to bed early kind of back fired. Stuart made stew for dinner, which was delightful to everyone but Millie.  

Monday morning I walked alone. Lara was a bit under the weather so gave it a miss. Monday at school was my day of many of available hours to work on different things.  I spent most of that time trying to get my reports written. Oh my goodness are those a time consuming task. 

Jack had a football match after school. He nearly scored, but someone hand blocked it which meant they got a penalty kick. The kicker scored, so I gave Jack a bit of credit for that. After the match Millie rode home with Stuart. Jack and I went by the store and got pastry pies for supper. Jack and Millie helped me do one of the dances for the Year 2 show. Then Millie was off to bed, but not before she had a treatment of head lice shampoo. She had complained of her head itching before the school day was over. The nurse checked her and she had eggs, but no live nits. Why can’t we get rid of these nasty things? She has a kid in her class whose mom doesn’t treat them like she should. So they never really go away. Jack was off to bed around 8 pm. Stuart was home from training around 9 pm. We were in bed by 10 pm. I had to get rest for the worst day of the week for me. 

Tuesday my alarm went off but I couldn’t be bothered to get up. I messaged Lara to let her know. I’m not sure she was terribly upset. Jack was off to swim squad when we arrived at school. We had a spelling sontest with our Year 2 students and Millie didn’t buckle under pressure. She spelled her word correctly and helped her class to win the competition. As you can see, she was elated. 




After school I had a nanny come to me with a bag of little plastic creatures asking me if they belonged to the class. I told her they did and we had a long conversation with the child who took them. The funny thing is, his family gives him anything he wants. They are one of the wealthiest families who isn’t royal in the country. It was a bit crazy. 

I had a staff meeting after school and then stayed and worked for an hour afterwards. I think stopped at KFC, the normal Tuesday evening meal for my tiny dancer. When I got to the dance studio Millie had a few pieces of popcorn chicken and then went in for her gymnastics dance class. After class she ate the rest of her food on the way home. A shower was the first activity once we were at the house, then bed time for Millie. Cathy came over for a chat while Jack and Stuart were at training and then Jack had his touch match at 7:20 pm. They lost and Jack was so upset. I’m not sure, besides my brother Russ, I have ever known someone who wants to win so badly. He doesn’t get angry, he gets sad. He’s just so competitive. I finally calmed him down, he showered and then went to bed. Bless his little cotton socks. 

Wednesday school was quite normal. Once school was over the kids and I headed home. We decided to go to sushi night at the Golf Club. Cathy, Lara and Brian, as well as all the kids, came with us. It was a spontaneous dinner out. It was nice and the sushi was spectacular as always. The kids didn’t get into bed until after 9 pm, which only meant a great deal of fun the following morning. 

As I predicted, getting the kids up and out the door was certainly a challenge. I needed to get to school early as it was Pre-Prep’s turn to provide breakfast and I was doing my waffle stick station again. Pre-Prep definitely provide the best breakfast of the entire staff. 

School was uneventful and we left as soon as we could on Thursday. When we got home we put Millie’s bread dough, the creation from her cooking class, into the oven. Stuart felt the need to present it like this when it came out of the oven, which I didn’t approve of. 

Naughty!

Also when we got home Cathy was at our house. She had asked Stuart to go with her to the company that owns her apartment. There seems to have been some serious confusion about her housing contract. She was frustrated and needed a man to help her sort it out. She ended up staying at ours for dinner. She had brought over some veggies she had purchased from the farmer who brings food to her school. Stuart made suchatash. He put some chicken and sausage in it as well as corn, zucchini, peppers and onions. It was delicious. 

Jack had gone to a birthday party at Laser Tag on Thursday evening. When he got home, he went up to shower and then went to bed as he was going to have to be up super early to ride a bus to Dubai for a rugby match. 

I decided to ride the bus with Jack on Friday morning. Yuck! But, it meant that Stuart could stay in Al Ain with Millie and do something special with her and I wouldn’t have to waste my money on petrol to drive to Dubai. He wasn’t terribly thrilled that I wanted to ride the bus, but he got over it quickly. The bus left at 5:45 am and arrived at the field at about 8 am. They played two matches. The first match was for the conference score but the second match was a friendly game. The first team won and Jack was thrilled. But injustice set in when Jack realized the first team put some of their first players on their seconds team. Jack couldn’t understand why his coach wouldn’t do the same. The second team lost. Jack was really upset until he figured out that it was a friendly game and the points counted for nothing. 

Number 6 is my favorite!

While Jack and I were in Dubai, Millie and Daddy went to the zoo. Stuart said they had fun and of course Millie was thrilled to get a slushie. 



I hope she got enjough sugar in her for the day!

We got home from Dubai around noon. Jack wanted to stay and swim but I didn’t. So I won and we went home for lunch. Jack was not impressed by the fact that he couldn’t swim, but we were returning to the club later in the afternoon so he would get over it. 

We headed to the club around 3:30. Stuart and Jack were going to watch the men’s team play, while Millie and I were picked up by Cathy to go to the golf club for a birthday party. Little Liam was turning 2. We had some food and sang Happy Birthday, then we headed back to the rugby club for the rest of the evening. I wasn’t feeling so hot because I made the mistake of eating pizza, which has gluten, which I have discovered I am intolerant of, thus a bad belly was the result. We got home around 9 pm and the kids turned in after showers. 

Saturday morning we got up and headed to Sean’s for a tattoo party. Sean, Stuart and Lara were getting inked. Stuart was just going to have the background of his elephant done. Stuart made breakfast burritos and I made rice crispie treats. 



We were there until a little after 4 and then brought the party back to ours, minus everyone except Cathy. We ordered curry for dinner and just before 8 pm Lara came over. Brian was on a fishing trip, got home around 9 and came to our house, smelling of fish a yuck. Why he didn’t go home and take a shower first is beyond me. Ick! At any rate, they stayed until around 10:30 and then it was bedtime for all. A crazy, busy week was behind us and another one was ahead. 





No comments:

Post a Comment