Sunday, November 24, 2019

Rain, rain, rain! Kidding!

Sunday at school we continued with report writing. I had very little free time in the day, which is usually how my Sundays go. Some items were delivered from Amazon to my school. Turns out I sent Christmas presents to the school. Oops. 

After school Millie was to have a bench ball game but the other schools canceled so there was no game. We left school around 4 pm. We stopped by the club to get Stuart’s car as he had left it there on Friday. When we got home, Jack and I got changed and headed to his first orthodontist appointment. It turned out that appointment was a waste of time as they didn’t accept our insurance. That would have been a good thing to know when I made the appointment. Jack was really disappointed. I made another appointment at our old dental clinic for Wednesday evening, hoping that would be more successful. When we got home we had dinner. Millie went to bed shortly after and Stuart and I watched The Crown, which is fantastic. Jack then went to bed and I followed my normal routine of my nightly nap on the sofa. 

Monday at school I finished my general comments on my reports. I feel very confident I will be finished way ahead of the due date, which is a nice feeling. Our reports for children are so detailed and seem to take forever. I had basketball practice and then came home. Stuart and the kids headed to the rugby club while I got our dinner prepared. The maintenance man showed up just after Stuart and the kids left so I stayed while he fixed our air conditioners. I then went to the club to collect the kids. We came home just before 7, the kids showered and the Karniks came over to prepare the 200 treat bags we would need for the Santa visit at the club. Stuart got home from rugby while Brian and Lara we’re still there. 

The sweets were spread out. We chatted for a while after the bags were done and then they left. 

Tuesday we had our staff briefing and tried to come together in agreement as to what our writing marks should look like. Judging a piece of writing is so subjective. It was a bit boring, truth be known. Tuesday evening was touch rugby. Jack played two games as he decided he wanted to play for his school team as well. We stayed longer than we intended, but the kids had fun. 

Wednesday we woke to stormy weather. Many schools called off school in anticipation of bad weather. It was good for them, because it didn’t even start raining until around 4 pm, well after we were home. Rugby training was canceled, which was good because we had scheduled Jack his second appointment to see an orthodontist. We went and the price was a bit steeper than I had anticipated. I told Jack we would have to find someone cheaper. He was disappointed as he’s starting to get a little self-conscious about his funky fangs. So, back to the drawing board for an orthodontist. The appointment was made and we will attempt again next week. 

When we got home the kids ate. Millie went with us to the ortho appointment as Stuart went to rugby training. Once the kids were in bed and Stuart was home, our electricity went off. The maintenance men just happened to be outside our house and in their broken English we think they explained they would need to replace the breaker the next day. Usually when it rains there are things that short out. I think this is the second time we have had our breaker replaced because of rain. 

Thursday morning I was awakened by Jack as he had wet his bed. I guess he just couldn’t wake up. I took his bedding and put it in the washing machine. Our water pressure was crap as the water pump was the thing that was tripping the breaker. So those sheets had to wait until that afternoon. At school we had an assembly in preparation of National Day that would be celebrated on the 28th of November. The Arabic team was in charge of the assembly. Of course it ran into my planning time, as it always does. The rest of the day ran as normal. We were all glad the work week was over. 

Thursday evening Stuart and some of the the other men from school went out for the evening. They took a bbq and food and had a bbq in the desert. The kids had a babysitter and I went to the rooftop of a hotel for an evening out with some of the ladies from work. It was a fun evening to get to know the teachers in a different setting. Stuart picked me up just after 11 pm and we went home. I was more than ready for sleep. 

Friday morning we were up and skyped Grammie and Pop. We then headed to Ski Dubai for Stuart and the kids to ski one last time before we went to Switzerland for our ski holiday. 

I shopped around for odds and ends, mainly winter clothes for Jack. He doesn’t own a long pair of trousers or jeans. He refuses to wear long sleeved shirts, so it wasn’t the easiest of tasks. I scouted some things out and made him try the items on once they were finished skiing and we had lunch. 

Millie has started to be my shopping buddy. 

We bought a Starbucks before leaving Mall of the Emirates. My favorite thing about this country is seeing what my name will be each time I order a coffee. This may be my all time favorite. How do you get ‘Daniel’ out of ‘Dana’? Don’t know. 

We bought a few other things and then decided to stop at the outlet mall to try to find a few more things, which we did. So it was a totally successful trip. Once we were home it was time for showers and bed. It was a full day. 

Saturday morning Jack had to be at a football tournament all day at the rugby club. It was amongst 14 other private schools in Al Ain.  His first match wasn’t until 9:40 am so Millie and I stayed back, had breakfast and got ready for the day. We were at the club until around 3 pm. We had ordered groceries to be delivered between 8 and 10 pm, and of course the order showed up at 3:40 pm. Cathy, Sean and Carly came around for dinner, but it was an early night as they all left around 6 pm. Millie went to bed and Jack followed shortly after. It had been a long, yet fun and productive weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment