Sunday, March 1, 2020

I’m officially old

Sunday we were up and out of the house with very little fuss from either of the kids. School started and I got a call about Jack being kicked in the foot. He said he needed me to come to the senior school. I told him to get over himself and go back to class. At break time I went over to see Jack. When I arrived there were two adults, seemingly on duty, who had the backs to the majority of children, all of which are boys. They did not see me, no one did. I watched Jack and his buddies playing basketball. Jack finally went over, after asking some boys three times, to report that some older kids were interfering in their game. The teacher came over and said something to the boys who were being a pain. I then introduced myself. The teacher looked shocked. It gave me one more piece of evidence that my child’s safeguarding is not being done at the school. 

After school Jack needed me to know something that had happened during the lunch time. Basically, a scuffle broke out which resulted in Jack being nearly chocked. He told me he was so scared as he couldn’t breath. He had reported it and because the head of Pastoral care didn’t have time to look into it, he failed to even call me and say he would be looking into and getting back to me. They are way more reactive than proactive, that’s for sure.  I emailed him and found out he would be looking into it and message me the next day to let me know what time he could meet with us.

Sunday after school we came home and did nothing. The kids were perfectly satisfied with pasta and butter as well as peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. We have been running ragged for a while now so some down time was nice. 

Stuart’s flight was delayed coming back from the UK. He ended up getting home Monday morning at 3:50 am. He went to bed and I got up about 45 minutes later to walk with Lara, except she messaged me to tell me she hadn’t slept much so wouldn’t be going with me. I decided I was already dressed so might as well go out for a jog/walk before school. 

I didn’t hear from OBH (head of Pastoral) and ended up emailing him just after lunch. But naturally he was too busy to meet with us. So we saw Jack’s House Master. He explained the situation and that the children involved had been dealt with. That wasn’t good enough for me as I found out from a senior school teacher that the boy who had Jack in a choke hold was not given a consequence. It seems they are intimidated by his father. Awesome! I ended up writing  a letter explaining my concerns for my son’s safety. I sent it to OBH. I told Stuart we have nothing to lose now. This school doesn’t keep my boy, or other boys, safe and I’m tired of it. If they will not be diligent about his safety then I will be forced to take things into my own hands. I have said I will go to the senior school at least once a week from now on to make sure Jack is okay. 

Millie had swim squad after school. Once she was finished, we came home, got ready, and went to rugby.  Stuart slept for a couple of hours and then went to his rugby training. His last match of the season (and probably his career) is Friday. The kids were in bed when he got home. I was watching trash television, which is my usual. 

Tuesday my year group had a field trip to the zoo. Jack called me twice as he had broken one of his brackets off. I finally told him I wasn’t capable of doing anything for him as I was at the zoo. So once school was over, we went to the orthodontist and he actually had them tightened. We got home to a houseful of people, well, just Tiff and Cathy. They had come over for Pancake Day, celebrated by the Brits.

It’s also known as Shrove Tuesday, and is followed by Ash Wednesday, the first day of lent. Stuart made sausages and chips for the kids, and then everyone had pancakes, but more like crepes. The ladies left after they were nice and full. The kids went to bed and Stuart and I followed shortly. 

Wednesday Lara and I walked again. She had actually gotten up with me for the Tuesday walk as well. School was non eventful, as it’s come to be. I’m just always trying to keep up with my marking and lesson planning. After school the kids had an athletics competition. Both did really well. We then brought Louie with us from school to meet his mum at the club. The weather wasn’t terribly good. There was sand blowing everywhere. The girls’ team called practice off, but the boys’ team decided to leave it up to the parents. About half of Jack’s team showed up and just played a match on their own. It was really good to see them manage themselves so well. They are a good bunch of boys. Jack will definitely miss them. 

Thursday, when we left the house, I had to be packed and ready to leave for Dubai right after school. A bunch of ladies from school were traveling to stay the night and go to the Jazz Festival. We were going to see Lionel Richie in concert. We were all so excited. At school we had a science team come in for some demonstrations for the children. It was interesting, but a bit too child-like for the older students. I had to meet with someone from Apple to show me how to become and Apple Teacher. Ugh! I’m such an old dog that new tricks are really frustrating. I was cranky about it, but did it anyway. The lady who helped me, reported that I was angry and yelled at her. Ha! What a joke! 

At any rate, I left that day a bit irritated, but my friends whacked me out of it too soon. We arrived in Dubai around 5:00 pm and went to our penthouse apartment that was amazing!

Our view happened to be the Dubai Media Centre which was where Lionel was performing. It was perfect. 

This was our penthouse pool, but I will admit it was freezing cold. Oh, I still had a dip on Friday morning just simply because it was there. 

He was as amazing as ever, a bit weathered, but an incredible performer. 

These were the ladies I shared this fun night with. The one in the front is 20 years younger than myself, which would explain why she carried the party elsewhere after Lionel performed. Needless to say, I headed back to the apartment for the rest of the evening. Those days of energy are behind me. 

Friday morning we all got up and headed our own ways. Cathy and I went to watch Stuart play his last rugby match ever. He played so well. I was so proud of him. He was the captain and made an amazing speech just celebrating his team and his years playing here in Al Ain. 

The pitch!

Before the speech. 

The kiss after the speech. 

Cathy and I came back to Al Ain and Stuart rode the bus back with the team. He arrived not long after I got home. Then it was time for bed. Jack was at a sleepover and Millie was staying with our babysitter Carly. 

Saturday morning I got up and met Jack and his friend at a fun run at the club. Afterward Jack wanted to come home. He wasn’t feeling 100% so we went home and he chilled out for the rest of the day. Millie went to play at her friend Islay’s and I laid on the sofa. I started felling horrible. With the treat of the Corona Virus, we all decided staying home was the best. The press may be going a bit over board. Saturday, the health department in Dubai put out a memo about all external trips from school and any activities that gather a large amount of people should be canceled. So it was decided to cancel the Al Ain rugby tournament that was to take place the weekend of March 6 and 7. I thought this was going to be disappointing to Jack. However, when I told him I had some news for him that might upset him, he asked if we had decided not to let him go home to stay with Grammie and Pop. I said, ‘No!’ So then when I told him the tournament was canceled, he said, ‘So.’  He is SO ready to come back to Arizona. 

This was after his run. 

The rest of the day was totally chilled. Stuart made spaghetti cheese for dinner and we watched a couple of movies. Then, because I wasn’t feeling well, we both went to bed. What a week!






No comments:

Post a Comment