Sunday, May 31, 2020

The lake is our new best friend, or not

Sunday morning we were up and packing lunches and the rest of our lake gear. After church we headed to the lake for the day. Ken had bought his girls kayaks and they decided to join us. This caused Grammie and Pop to decide not to join us, which we understood. 

We met Ken, Maytee and the girls at Goldfield Ghost town and they followed us to Canyon Lake, and thank goodness they did. Unfortunately, the lake was a short lived idea, as it seemed everyone else decided to go to the lake as well. There was no where to park. I had already scratched off our National Park parking ticket, so wasted $8, which irritated me. 

In the end, it was decided we would go to John and Laurie Burleson’s house for a swim. I called my mom and dad first to make sure they felt comfortable with us doing that. They said they trusted us to use our best judgement. My mom said that we can’t just totally stop doing stuff, which made me feel better. However, it all still makes me a bit nervous. The outdoors makes me feel more comfortable for sure. We promised we would still socially distance while at the pool. It turned out to be a great afternoon, and most likely we were safer in our decision to not stay at the lake, not that we had that choice. We all swam and had a wonderful time. Jack fell in love with the Burleson’s dog, Olive. 

She was a Goldendoodle and loved to play. 

We decided to go by my new school on the way home. I am really excited about getting started very shortly after I finish my Brighton College experience. We stopped and got Dutch Brothers on the way home. Once we were home the kids showered and Millie’s hair was impossible to brush out. It took my mom and I forever to comb it all out. My mom finally had to get chopsticks to help get all the knots out. 

The kids stayed up much later than we usually allow, but they had to eat and then we played some Trivial Pursuit, which frustrated Jack as he wasn’t able to answer very many questions. He’s still a bit young to know some of the older questions especially. We all went to bed around the same time. We had a full day of sun and fun!

My alarm went off at 6:30 am. I walked with Sue and she really gave me a good complement about my blog. She said that reading my blog and walking with me in person is kind of like reading a good book and then watching the movie. She said when we walk she loves our conversations, but that reading the blog gives her more insight and often is more real to her. I felt so good about her saying that. It means that I evoke the emotions from my readers that are intended, even if there are only a few readers. 

I got home and we decided to let the kids skip school as it was the Memorial Day holiday, and of course we still were on our Eid holiday. So we actually had a few nights where we were able to get good sleep, which was really nice. 

We made ribs for lunch, which were amazing. We decided to go to the park in the late afternoon because we felt it might be one of the last afternoons we could do so as it was heating up. When we got home and got Millie ready for bed, she lost her wad. She had had so many nights without having a fit, so it was a bit disappointing. I thought we might actually be over this time in her life, and that may still be the case, but this night she lost the plot in a major way. It was painful and made me realize we probably needed to consider some sort of counseling for her at some stage. We are at a loss as to how to handle her at this stage and may actually need some professional help. We shall see. I’m not opposed to it at all. She did finally calm down and go to sleep, but not without a lot of tears. 

Tuesday morning I walked with Mary. The other girls were not able to join us, but Mary and I carried on. We chatted the entire hour without a lull in conversation. That is the mark of true friendship. When I got home I decided to take a shower. I usually just stay nasty for the day, but for some reason I felt the need to get dressed this day. 

My mom cut my dad’s hair and then he and Stuart went off to play golf. The kids built a fort for our reading week picture we had to do. 

This was our way to get ready for book week with school. The kids did one hour of school. Their schooling would be over on Wednesday. 


We went to the supermarket once Stuart was back from golfing. Mom went to get her hair cut and colored. Stuart and I did our videos for our book character day. I was Cat in the Hat and Stuart was The Invisible Man. 

I got up Wednesday and cleaned the bathroom. We packed up our food and headed to the lake with Ken and Maytee and the girls. We decided we would give it another go. This time was very successful. 

Ken had bought double kayaks for his girls, which was great. It meant the kids could double up to kayak if they wanted to do so. 

After about five hours we got back home, unpacked and showered. We just chilled for the rest of the day. I forget how much the sun take energy out of you here in Arizona. In the late afternoon, we finished the cat puzzle. 

It wasn’t as easy as it may look. 

We only had two nights of work this week because of the Eid holiday, so we had one last night of school Wednesday evening. I have tried to stay up until 3 am on Tuesdays and Wednesdays to get my work done for the following week. It seems to be better because there are always things that come up that also need to be done. For instance, final reports are due on June 7, so I’ve tried to get a handle on those in the last week or so. I would say I’m about halfway through, so should be able to finish by the middle of next week. 

Thursday morning I was up and finished up approving assignments. There weren’t a lot as we had assigned things like read aloud a, design a book cover, and make a movie trailer for your favorite book on iMovie. Those were amazing. The week of work was over. There are only 5 weeks of school left, but we believe the two weeks after June 18 will be project based, so it won’t be a great deal of strain on any of us, which will be nice. 

After we ate lunch on Thursday, we took the kids to Bass Pro Shop for a bit of an outing. Stuart bought himself a fishing hat, more for protection from the sun than for fishing, and I bought the obligatory American flag shirt for 4th of July, and the kids got candy as always. We then got gas at Costco to prepare for our trip to Saguaro Lake with Grammie and Pop on Friday. When we got home we watched some television. Stuart and I decided to sit out on the front driveway, and we sweat our tails off. Summer is here!

Friday morning we were up and headed to the lake by 9:30 am. We had packed some lunch stuff for Grammie, Millie and myself, but the boys decided they wanted Subway for lunch. We arrived at Saguaro Lake just after 10 am. It was hot. We stayed for a few hours, but couldn’t last too awful long. It was too dang hot. 

We had fun inspire of the heat. 

We headed home just before 2 pm. The kids showered and chilled for the rest of the day. Stuart and I did a Target/Wal Mart run for a beach wagon and some cheese and other stuff we most likely didn’t need. 

We all ate and then the music started bumping. The neighbors were having some sort of graduation party. I looked over the back wall, as you do, and was thrilled to see that the kids were all dressed up. For whatever reason, that made me feel better than if they would have been diving in the pool and drinking. We all went to bed just after 9 pm, so Stuart and I definitely didn’t hear anything once we were in our room. 

Saturday morning we decided to do some work and get things ready for our week to start that evening. At 11 am we went to an open house up the road. The house was the same model as ours, but with a huge back yard that included a pool. We liked it, but were still not as impressed as the first house we really liked that has yet to sell. We came home for lunch of nachos and then my dad and I started the Elvis puzzle. Mom joined in as well. 

We are kind of obsessed with puzzles at the moment. 

I then went back into the bedroom and discovered Home Goods was now open. Putting my mask on and heading into the living room, I asked if my mom wanted to go out for a bit of retail therapy. They really do have these stores set up properly, and the are not letting more in than the number posted on the sign outside. In Home Goods it was 83. We also went to TJ Maxx and that seemed to be a bit more quiet as well. We had our masks on the entire time and may have rushed at the end as it was getting to a point where we were feeling a bit ill because we couldn’t get proper oxygen in. But it was good to go out with my mom and do what we love to do. Afterwards we went to get a diet limeade at Sonic and then came home to try on our new digs. I decided that some of mine had to go back, but all that my mom bought was perfectly fine. 

We watched some of the marathon of Carol Burnet and friends and then played the new charades game my mom had ordered from Amazon. Stuart napped in the bedroom while we played the game. The rest of our evening was spent working on school work. Another week of school
Has begun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment