Sunday, December 3, 2023

November 2023

The last few days of October were sure to be full, with one of them being Halloween. 

This was a post one of my former athletes put up for Jack. She runs a business that helps promote athletes for colleges to see. 

Sunday Stuart and I did some Christmas shopping as well as shopping at Wal Mart. After he and I got home I took Millie to Sephora. When we got home I cleaned the house and tidied up. Ken and Maytee came over and we went to Creek Side Taco for lunch. When we got home from Creek Side Taco, Jack went to a movie with his buddies. Mitch and Elise came over for a while and we sat on the back porch. 

Monday Stuart was out of the house at 5 am. We didn't have the greatest of weekends, so that makes for a long week. After school I took Millie to gymnastics. This week at the gym was spirit week. This particular day was neon day. 

I was in charge of carpool Monday night so I took the boys to volleyball and worked on editing lesson plans. I picked up Millie after I dropped the boys back home. I stopped and got food at McDonalds for the kids. Once we were home, Elise came over for a little bit. 

Elise bought me slippers like hers for backyard fire pit nights. 

Tuesday Millie didn't go to gymnastics as it was Halloween and the gym was sensibly closed. 

Millie was Weston's banana. Ha!

Elise and I were Chewbacca and R2D2. We have decided this is our 'thing'. We didn't have a lot of trick or treaters. I ended up having about 3 bags of candy left. But we had fun sitting outside our houses and chatting. 

Wednesday was our regular half day at school. Our afternoons are generally for meetings and planning. After I got home from school, I loaded up my car with snack and drove the boys to volleyball again. I needed to make up for the weeks we were in Australia. The bummer about that night was the time had been changed from 7-9 at Brophy instead of 5-7. It makes for a very late night and Millie doesn't ever want to go, so she is home and puts herself to bed. I am not crazy about that piece, but hate to intrude on my parents. Millie doesn't mind staying on her own. In fact, I think she likes the independence. 

Thursday was one day closer to the weekend, thank goodness. Millie had gymnastics but Jack was home. I did some shopping after dropping her off at the gym. I then just went home and chilled until it was time to collect her from the gym. 

Friday Stuart was home by 3:30. We went to the Coyote Fest at my school. We didn't stay the entire time. We did stay long enough to get the Millie food, though. Once we were home, we sat out in the back yard and had a fire pit evening. I love this time of year. 

Saturday we ran errands and put the tree up. We cleaned out the garage and organized it a bit. We went to lunch for our weekly date, and then to dinner with the Hills at Creekside Taco. 

Sunday the spring busted on our garage door. The noise was unbelievable. We really didn't know what happened until I went to open the garage door. In the afternoon, we went to lunch with my mom and dad. They had promised to take the kids out for dinner for their birthday once they were back in Arizona. This was the first available day we had since their return in October. When we got home Stuart left for Gallup. 

Monday a guy came in the afternoon and fixed our garage door. It seems the builder was cheap and instead of installing two springs in the door, they installed just one. We are lucky it lasted so long.  It was gym for Millie and volleyball for Jack. He got mad at me because he had lost his water bottle and I got on to him about it. The 15 year old brain continues to baffle me. Ugh! 

Tuesday was gym as well for Millie. I went to have dinner with Melinda and Heather. I hadn't see them in quite some time so it was good to catch up. Melinda and I actually stayed until it was time for me to pick Millie up at 8 pm. 

Wednesday was a half day and Jack was brought home by Pop. Someone came and bought our weight bench and the foosball table. Our hope is to make our loft a true loft again instead of the space for the kids' crap. 

I took apart the foosball table and then had an intake meeting with a new counselor for Millie. I took Jack to volleyball and Millie and I went to 5 and Below, even though she hadn't done what I had asked her to do after her half day. She can be quite unmotivated. 

Thursday Millie and I were off to the Hoover Dam. This was our 6th grade field trip. 

The trip was a lot of fun. We floated down the river and were told some history of the river. We had lunch on the boat. We then headed home and had pizza on the bus. We got home around 9:30 pm. 

I got home, showered and was in bed by 10:30 for a 2:45 am wake up to fly to Chicago. The alarm rang and I certainly did not want to get up, but I did anyway. 

The flight was uneventful. When I arrived I jumped on the L and met Mitch at a station not far from his apartment. We hung out all day. We shopped some and I saw his warehouse. We went downtown to dinner and met up with the gang. Mitch was able to meet the volleyball parents. After dinner, Mitch went back to his apartment and we met up with some of the coaches for drinks at the Marriott. 

I got up Saturday morning and sang the national anthem to kick off the tournament. We hung around for the morning wave even though our team didn't play until the afternoon. They were supposed to start at 2:30 pm, but the morning wave ran late so that didn't happen. 

The moms represented with their bracelets. 

The team didn't fair well on Saturday. They lost all of their matches. Because of their record, they were placed in the highest division. This proved to be an ass whipping for them. However, I suppose they had better get their butts handed to them at some stage to learn what it is like to have to really work harder for what they want. 

Sunday we had breakfast with Mitch and David at the bar on the corner by our hotel. David is a friend of Mitch's whom I have become friends with over the years. It was good to see him and catch up. David and Mitch left and we stayed and watched some football. Jeremy joined us for some breakfast. We then went to the gym to watch some volleyball. The day went better for Jack's team. They got put into a pool of other teams that got the crap beat out of them the previous day. I didn't get to see their last set as I had to fly home. I stupidly didn't book my flight to stay for the entire tournament because we had the Friday off for Veterans Day and that is frowned upon. Oh well. So I flew home on Sunday evening. I had parked my car at the airport which made it easier to get home at at 1:30 am. Boo! 

Monday I was exhausted at school. I went to the grocery store after school and got some stuff for our Mexico trip. I then came home and waited around until Stuart and the kids got home. Around 8 pm my dad messaged to say he could no longer get Live tv on our Hulu account. I went down and tried to sort that out, but had no luck. Jeremy brought Stuart and the kids home from the airport. When they got home, they showered, had a bite to eat and went to bed. 

Tuesday I didn't set my alarm for the right time and I woke up at about 6:30 AM. Fortunately Stuart was home and was able to get Millie up and take her to school, while I took Jack to school and took myself to school. Stuart left for Gallup about mid day. 

I was surprised and one of my students brought me lunch. She had a broken tooth and I sent her to the nurse to have her mom pick her up and take her to the dentist. She insisted on coming back to school and bringing me lunch. So that was a nice little treat.  After school I took Millie to gymnastics. My dad had picked up Jack from school and delivered him home. I then went to meet Sue for an early dinner at Blue 32 in Gilbert. She was doing really well with her shoulder, but from what she told me about her recovery, I knew she had worked really hard to get her arm to the point it was then. Ouch, is all I could think. We had a great little catch up as we always do. 

When I got home, Elise came over for about an hour and a half to catch up. I then went to get Millie from the gym. She had messaged me earlier and told me that she fell on her tail bone while doing a back tuck. I asked her if I needed to come to get her but her coach and I decided we would just leave her at practice.

Wednesday Jack went home with Gavin and went to volleyball practice with him. Millie was at home and I had an appointment with Maytee to get my hair cut. And boy did I get it cut!

The old hair. 

The new hair, 9 inches off. After my hairs were all cut, I went to eat dinner with Ken and Maytee. I paid for dinner because Maytee cut my hair for free. I think I got off on the cheaper end. 

Thursday once I had delivered Millie to gymnastics, I went to dinner with Debi for her birthday. It was the week for catching up with friends. Stuart came home Thursday evening because he decided to not work on Friday. . 

Friday Stuart spent the day working on the RV. He was prepping it to reseal the roof. The check engine light on the Jeep came on, so that had to be sorted as well. After school Grammie took Millie to gymnastics. My teammate Merkel and her husband came over and we had dinner in the RV. I thought I had invited them for a drink, but it turned out to be the entire evening. It was actually quite a bit of fun for an impromptu evening. Grammie and Pop picked Millie up since our guests were still at the house at 8 pm. It was a good evening. 

Saturday we got up and I took Millie to her new counselor. She was so resistant and angry with me. The therapist was so sweet and quite young and I was sure Millie would love her. When we got into the room, Millie wasn't able to tell her why we were there. I started to explain and Millie dug her head into my lap. She started crying and then I started crying. I just want her to be able to deal with her big emotions in a more productive way. It turns out that Millie loved Aimee! Yahoo! We booked four future appointments. 

Saturday afternoon we went to Elise's brother's celebration of life. Her family dynamics are quite a story, so I know that day was very stressful. We spent the rest of the afternoon putting stuff in the RV and getting that ready for Stuart and Millie to leave for Rocky Point. In the evening the boys had signed up for a sand volleyball tournament. So we headed to Casteel for the evening. 

Sunday morning Stuart and Millie left for Rocky Point. Jack and I cleaned the house and then relaxed. We really did nothing all day. 

Monday was school. As I was on my own, I got to school really early. After school I went shopping for things we had forgotten to put in the RV before Stuart left. 

Tuesday I picked Jack up from school and we went home to get Moose and headed to Rocky Point. The  drive was fine until it turned dark. I hate driving in the dark. The roads to Rocky Point are not lit. They are also a bit more narrow. We stopped twice to let Moose pee. He was riding freely in the back seat, which was not ideal. We arrived at our RV park around 8:30 pm. It was good to finally be there for 5 days of rest and relaxation. We unpacked the car and blew up Jacks air bed. Stuart and I had a brew and called it an early evening. 

Wednesday we got up and sat up our stuff on the beach. Todd, Mary and Kyle showed up just after noon. We tried to go to lunch with them, but it seems places in Rocky Point are closed on Wednesdays. We finally landed at a place called Candy Cake. The food was amazing. Stuart and I shared an omelet that was so delicious. Todd paid for the meal. His argument was that we would be supplying other meals and beer for him. We let him pay. We came back to the RV park and played on the beach. Todd, Mary and Kyle went to check into their resort but couldn't. So they came down to the beach. While we were all sitting on the beach, Lucy FaceTimed them. She is in basic training in Texas at the moment. She has decided she wants to go to Korea. She graduated high school one year early and was ready to get out on her own. It sounds as if she is learning some very good life lessons. They put her on speaker and she sounded so excited about her experience. It was good to know she was satisfied with what she is now doing. We spent the rest of the evening at our RV. We ended up blowing up another air bed and Kyle stayed in Jack's tent with him that evening. 

Thursday we tried to go to the resort where Mary and Todd were staying. They wouldn't let us in. So we came back to the RV park, ate Lucas chicken we had purchased for lunch, and went to the bar for a bit. We then set up down in the beach. We played volleyball once Jack had finished his nap.  I threw my back out. I am so out of shape. Ugh! Todd, Mary and Kyle came over for dinner. We made shrimp on the barbie. We had gotten the shrimp at Jessy's earlier in the day. 

Friday it was really windy out, so we decided a beach day was likely out of the question. We went to a local Mexican restaurant with the Daniels. Todd knows the cheapest, most delicious places to eat. They then took Jack to their resort. They tried to get us to sneak in, but we are not wired like Todd! Jack had his hair cut at a Mexican barber, which he loved. When they got back to the RV we decided just to have a hodge podge of food. We had a number of leftovers and some random snacks bits. It was easy and tasty. 

On Saturday we had lunch at Birria, another local favorite, and the birds pooped on us. Someone said it was good luck, but I am not buying it. 

We decided to leave Saturday afternoon instead of Sunday. On our way out of town a group of four dogs ran out into the road. Unfortunately, one of them ran under our front wheel and up the side of our RV. Millie asked what happened and when I told her she started crying. We had dog poop all the way up the side of the RV. Millie cried, and I did too. It was totally unavoidable. Millie was upset we left early in the first place. When we got cut off on the road into Sonoita by an RV towing a vehicle, Millie made the statement that if we would have just stayed and not come home early these things wouldn't have happened.

Once we were home, the real work started. We unloaded the RV and I started the laundry. We decided to leave the cleaning of the RV until the following morning. It was cold and we were tired. We showered and called it a night. 

Sunday we finished cleaning out the RV and returned it to storage. Millie went to a birthday party and Jack started coughing. Sickness was in his near future, I could tell. His buddies were all sick after the Chicago tournament, so it was inevitable he would get sick. While Jack was getting sick, Stuart and I put up outside lights. Stuart headed back to Gallup  around 3:45 pm. 

The lights were great and we didn't feel like outcasts of the neighborhood. Our entire street is lit up. 

As the night grew on, Jack developed a fever. Oh dear, here we go! I felt sure he would be down and out for several days. And sure enough, Monday he woke up and was feverish and miserable. He stayed home. I came home at lunch time to check on him and get meds in him. He wasn't better at all. After school I took Millie to gymnastics and then came home to care for Jack. I made pasta for Jack, and took some to Millie when I picked her up from gymnastics. 

Tuesday Jack was still not well, so stayed home again. I knew he really was miserable as he knew if he didn't go to school he wouldn't be able to go to volleyball practice that evening. Millie had an orthodontist appointment before she went to gymnastics. I went home to make food for Jack. He seemed to be a bit better in the evening. I picked up Millie and fed her. 

Wednesday Jack actually went to school. He worked hard to get the things done he had missed the last two days. After school we had nothing going on. It was nice not having to go anywhere. Around 8:30 pm, Jack had a nose bleed.What a mess that was. I told him, after his nose stopped bleeding, to just go take a shower. He came out of him room, which is downstairs now and I was in the kitchen. He peeked around his door and announced he didn't  have a towel. I turned around so his naked body could go to the bathroom and take a shower. Having your baby grow up is just flat out weird!

Tuesday of this week Stuart was sick as well and didn't go to work. Then, Thursday it was snowing in Gallup and they canceled school. So in order to not get stuck in Gallup for the weekend, he decided to drive home on Thursday. We had a lot going on over the weekend so I was glad he made the decision that he did. When he got home, we drove the boys to volleyball at Brophy and he and I went to eat sushi. My mom picked Millie up from gymnastics as we were not going to be home from volleyball until after she was finished. She took her home and fed her. When we got home from Brophy, Grammie was still at our house. Millie then went to bed. Jack showered and also went to bed. Stuart and I sat up and talked for a while and then also turned in for the night. 

Friday morning I took Jack to school and then went to school myself. Stuart brought Millie to school because he was home. He took my car to get new tires and then started working on his Bronco. He actually had a very productive day. I took Millie to gymnastics after school and then came home. Stuart and I got dressed and headed to a birthday dinner for Jeremy at High Tide. We had a fantastic night. The girls exchanged their 'favorites' for each other. The men did not participate in this process, but we all still had a great time. 

Saturday morning we got up and Stuart made bacon baps (sandwiches) to take to Jack's volleyball regional tournament. It was the final tournament of the fall season. We were at Legacy for the entire day, from 8am until 6:15 pm. It was a long day. Jack didn't play as much as we thought he would, but we can only assume the coach was saving him for the final matches. He had not taped his shoulder like he has been told to for the last several months and therefore he tweaked his shoulder in the first set of the day. I wanted to throttle him! We chastised him and then tried to fix him with Motrin and tape. His shoulder got better through the day. They made it to the end of the tournament and the final match. They were beat in two sets by their nemesis. The team they played in the finals were last year and remain to be absolute jerks. It's a shame because the volleyball culture is not a place for teams like this one. They fought hard, but just couldn't pull it off. So they took second place for the region. I was so proud of the team for keeping it classy and not falling into the trap of the classless opponents they played in the last match. 

Once we left the tournament, we came home and started to talk through our brunch with the Meyns and Hurleys for the next day. What a weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment