Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Jack started school today!

So our master plan took a turn and we have been forced to put Jack into school.  Our hope when we came here was to be able to have Jack and Millie in the same facility.  We thought that might make settling into their new homes a great deal easier.  It turns out that no 'nursery' takes children as old as Jack.  It is hard to believe, and a little sad for me, that Jack will be 5 years old on Sunday.  Where has the time gone?  Despite my dismay from the inability to have them together, I had to push through and try to find a suitable place for him.  Stuart's head of facility, Wade, told Stuart about Sunflower School. Wade's wife works there and she gave us some information last week.  We decided to visit on Tuesday of this week.  I texted her on Monday and told her that we would be visiting.  She then informed me that there was a waiting list and it might be a week of two before he could be placed in the school.  As these things sometimes do, this almost sent me over the ledge.

We decided to go ahead and visit and at least put in our application.  You see all expat children have to go to private schools and some of them can be really costly.  So being on a waiting list at this time of the year can be quite common.  As I was filling out the application at the school yesterday, realizing we had forgotten all the important paperwork we needed to have a complete application, as well as knowing it might be a week or so before we could go back because our schools are in session at the same time as any school we might need for Jack, I began to tear up again.  Then, as often happens with me as well, all changed when Sharon, the school secretary came over to us and told us they had an opening and Jack could start today.  Tears gone and excitement rising, we asked Jack if he would like to go to this school and he was very excited.

He is in the Red Bird class (Go Cards! And that is the St. Louis Cardinals, thank you very much).  Ms. Karen, Wade's wife, is one of his teachers.  He is in a preschool-like program from 8 am until 1:30 pm, but is able to stay on until 2:30 for a minimal fee, which is nice because neither Stuart of myself can get him until 2:30, and some days that is not even possible.  We will rely heavily on the new friends we have made as well as the large expat support group that exists in Al Ain.

Last night we laid out his clothes for today.  I told him that on the first day we wanted to make a good impression and that we would need to wear school clothes.  Stuart was a little disappointed that there was not a school uniform required.  I really wasn't bothered either way.  The only 'uniform' they are required to wear is a t-shirt with the school logo on it, and even then they only have to wear that on field trips.  We packed his lunch and filled his water bottle and were ready for his first official day of school.  Mama cried a bit thinking about her baby getting older.  In all my years of teaching I have never understood why the moms cry the first day of Kindergarten, but now I get it.  It is another stage of life for your child and it's one step closer to them growing up.

The ride to school this morning was not the conventional way children usually get to their first day of school, but he got there all the same.  We left the hotel in a cab this morning at 6:50 am.  Stuart has to leave for school at 6 am so he was not able to see Jack off for his first day of school.  I know that really bugged him, but it couldn't be helped.  One of the other teachers in my school is also staying at our hotel, so she rode with us to Jack's school and then on to our school.  When we finally explained to the cab driver where we were going, we were on our way.  There are no addresses here, as I think I have mentioned before, so everyone really needs to know land marks and what items are on the round abouts (zoo animals, a gazebo, etc.).  When we pulled up to Jack's school, Jack and I got out of the cab, went inside, turned in the necessary paperwork and the initial fee, bought two t-shirts, placed his things in his cubby, took pictures and headed out to the playground.  Just so you know, this is his favorite part of the day.  Shocking, I know!  I asked him if he wanted me to stay for a bit and he said he did.  I watched him play for a few minutes and then told him I had to go.  This was the point that I wasn't sure what would happen, with him or me.  He asked me why I had to go.  I said, "Well, I have to get to work."  He gave me a hug, kissed me....several times, and said, 'Okay, Mama.  I love you!'  Then the tears started behind my sunglasses.  I didn't want him to be nervous or scared so I choked them back as best as I could.  I told him to have a good day and to do what his teacher said.  He said he would.  As I walked told the door I heard him say again,'Bye, Mama'.  He was so happy and so confident in staying by himself.  As I thought about his attitude toward this situation it reminded me of when I was in Kindergarten.  I am pretty sure I had the same demeanor to life as Jack does.  He is not very concerned about new situations.  I remember riding the bus to school and being dropped off in an unfamiliar place.  I ended up taking Stevie Tyson's hand and saying, 'Come on, Stevie, I know where we are going.'  I'm pretty sure my sense of direction was no better then than it is now, but I wasn't scared.  Today when I left Jack on the playground I felt so good about the fact that every person who has ever influenced him, has instilled such a confidence in him that new adventures are just that.

As with any child after the first day of school and onwards, he couldn't remember what they did today. However, he did know that he was the line leader because he was the 'new boy' at school today.  As the evening continued he remembered more and more about his day.  Karen texted me and told me he had a great day, which really made me happy.  He was wiped out and barely got clean from the day before he was sound asleep and snoring like a horse.  Although the idea of him being in a 'school' was not what I had prepared for, I can tell that God has worked everything out for us to have him in exactly the right place.  They have a program for Millie when she turns 3, but not before.  So now to find her a place.

Love and miss you all,
Dana, Stuart, Jack and Millie


2 comments:

  1. Is it ok to cry when someone else's kid goes for their first day of school? who cares, you know I shed some tears.
    So proud of him for being so confident and willing to step into new situations.
    So proud of you for teaching him that is awesome to reach for new adventures!
    Miss you all so very much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't matter how old they are, primary school or secondary school. walking them into a new place and saying "here's my child" and hoping no harm and all the good intentions. It's hard. Be strong, the new adventure is a group effort, and will make the family stronger.

    ReplyDelete