Sunday, September 8, 2013

Just when you think you've figured it out.....

They go and tell Stuart he is actually in a Cycle 2 school. This means Stuart stayed in Abu Dhabi for more professional development while I was sent to Al Ain. I brought Jack and Millie with me because the girls who are staying with them while we work were also traveling to Al Ain with their mother. 

We hopped in the car on Saturday around 1 pm and headed to Al Ain. I had received an email from my principal telling me to come by  the school on Saturday if I could. As soon as we reached the hotel and were able to identify our luggage, we headed to my school. I felt a little bit awkward because I was still in my jean shorts. Al Ain is a much more conservative area, as I would find out when we went to the super market later in the day. 

My principal is a westerner and I love her so far. She is quite laid back, asked me what level would interest me, then put me in 4th grade (for reasons I am yet to discover, I assume). She said, 'I will see you in the morning at 7:45 am'. I asked what I needed to wear, apologized for my dress, stating I had just arrived from Abu Dhabi City and came straight to the school, and proceeded on my merry way, not really having a clue what I was to do. I did see my classroom and someone had dressed one of the boards for me, so at least there was some color on my boards. 

Because Stuart had to drive back to Abu Dhabi, we continued on to LuLu's supermarket. We had no idea what we would find. If you remember in an earlier post I mentioned that shopping is their national pastime, this doesn't exclude grocery shopping. I have never seen so many people at a grocery store at one time. Because it was Saturday night, and their work week starts on Sunday, it appears they get ready for the week as late as possible. We have been shopping in the morning and there are very few people out. So mornings will most likely be out times to shop. 

At any rate, we get to LuLu's and immediately I know something is wrong. I realize that I am not dressed appropriately. I am the ONLY woman who is not covered completely from her waist down, and among the few who are not covered completely on the arms. I was very embarrassed. Those who know me, know I really seldom give a care what people think of me. However, I have always prided myself with being mindful and considerate, when out of my element, to be respectful and compliant of other cultures. I failed epically in this situation. I could not get out of there fast enough. When we got into the car I broke down in tears. I knew this day would come. As excited as I have been about this adventure, there is always a rocky road when you decide to make a change, especially such a BIG change. It piled in on me, the thought if all we had done to get to this point and all we had yet to do. It was overwhelming to say the least. Stuart was leaving me, the kids at this point have no stability as far as child care/school is concerned, I wasn't really sure what I needed to do at school the following day ad wasn't sure how to get there. Calgon, take me away! And to make matters worse, when we returned from LuLu's and were putting away the groceries, I dropped a can of Diet Pepsi on the tile in the room and the can started to spew. I grabbed it as it was squirting in my face and carried it to the bathroom. When I got it in the sink I really believed I could pop the top and all would be right with the world again. What part of 'I dropped the can on the tile' did I miss? Absolutely nuts! As you would guess, I cried again. Stuart had to go, and sadly, I had to stay. 

A few days have passed, Stuart is in Al Ain now, I have learned a number of my students names, which has not been an easy task, and my fist week of work in the UAE is almost done. All in all it has been a great week. 

Teaching my six 45 minute blocks in the day, getting to work at 7:25 and leaving at 2:15 really doesn't suck. Oh, and making over twice the amount of money I made in the states is a definite perk. 

We have met some amazing people and I have already grown as a person and a professional. We have yet to adventure out, but will in due time. 

Please say a prayer for us that we get housing in an area called the Villages. If so, then life might be close to flawless. 

No comments:

Post a Comment