Friday, November 15, 2013

Can it be that we have no news to share?

Nah! Each week brings on a new challenge. This week's challenge? Installation of the internet and tv service, no water on Saturday evening, and starting the process for the kids' residence visas. 

As you know, we had our Internet installed over a week ago. When the technicians left they stated it would take an hour or so for everything to be working correctly. For the Internet, they were right on the money. But the tv was a different story. I called the support number several times but got nowhere. The second time I called I spoke to a very nice lady who informed me that the television would actually take up to two days to work properly. Two days later the tv was still not working. Stuart called and they informed him that someone would be out to install our services on November 14. What? We already had it installed. Apparently, Stuart put in an order on October 31 that was lost in the system. Because of that he put in another order around November 4. Who knows where the first one disappeared to and why they didn't have it in their system that we had already had the necessary equipment installed. But long story short, our tv is now working and there was no need for anyone else to come to our apartment from the cable company. However, Thursday (the 14th), there was a cable company car sitting outside our apartment. Turns out, it wasn't for us. Whew!

We have been having trouble with the water heater in our kitchen. We have had the maintenance man come over a couple of times but what he has done to 'fix' it really hasn't. So, after he came over late Saturday to 'fix' it again, he told us if it wasn't working Sunday morning we could call him and he would get a new unit then. Later that evening, the water went completely out. We called several times but got no response. After about 2 hours of this, I called and asked if someone was coming and was given the response, as before, 'will be there in a minute'. Fortunately, this time he was telling the truth and did actually show up. He went up on the top of the building and within minutes you could hear the bubbling of the water as it made its way through the pipes and back into our house. It ran dirty for a bit, but at least it was on. And wouldn't you know it, the water heater started working. It seems when there is not enough water in the water heater to heat, it doesn't work. Go figure. 

It seems that everything is a 10 step process. You have to 'come back' the following day to get whatever it was you had dropped off to be 'processed'. Sometimes I think jobs are created so people can be paid. It can be a bit wearing on a person. Now that we have our visas and Emirate IDs we can now sponsor the kids. There are many papers immigration needs and I thought I had all of them together. But I had not printed a salary certificate prior to going to the Zone. I was told I could get it printed there. Once I got to the window I asked another American where I was to go to get the certificate. She told me I could print it from my information on my school website. I told her I was told I could print it once I got to the Zone. Not true, said the man behind the glass. However, after begging a lady on the third floor to help me print the needed information, turns out the man misunderstood me and I could have it printed in Human Resource. Good thing, because since Stuart's name is on the housing contract, he is actually the one who needed the salary certificate, not me. And he ended up needing to be the one who sponsors the children. So in actuality he really should have been the one who was doing all of this. Ugh!

The following day I picked up their residence paperwork and headed to immigration just three buildings away. Nothing was very clearly marked so I asked an Emirati if I could go throughthe  gate marked 'employee entrance only', to which she responded, 'yes, here'. Fine with me. I headed to the customer service counter where an older gentleman gave me a ticket and told me to go outside to the typing center. Jack was with me so I marched us both out not really knowing where to go. Low and behold, who was standing outside of the front entrance? Sunil, the guy who took the kids across the border the first time for a border run. He said hello and I said 'Help!'  He took the piece of paper I had been given, walked into the typing center, asked me for 2 dirham coins, walked right up to someone behind a computer (even though there must have been 15 people waiting for the next available person to help them), and out I came with the needed paper in my hand. Well, actually it was in Sunil's hand. He came with me back to customer service and handed the paper to the same gentleman who had been a bit short with me the first time. They gave me a number and I was the next person assisted. It was great and I am so thankful Sunil was there. I turned in all of the paperwork, a man wrote some numbers on a tiny ticket (picture below) and told me to return the following day to get the residence pink ticket. Then he said we could either pay the office of immigration 570 dirham per kid or do a border run again to get the needed stamp. Since the border run is only 85 dirham per kid, we opted for that. 

Friday morning I got up and Jack, Millie and I walked that dreaded border walk one last time. I really don't have anything to complain about. I haven't had to do one before so it was a new experience for me. Thank goodness Jack was with me. He told me which way to go a couple of times which was really very helpful. Stamp, stamp, stamp, stamp, stamp, and done! Now about 7 more steps and we will all be residents. Yahoo!

The new experience for the week? I went to an Emirati wedding on Thursday night. It was so fantastic!  I didn't even know the bride. At school we had an invitation given to some of the teachers and placed on the message board. So that means we are officially invited. I went with another teacher from work and a daughter of another teacher and her friend. The girls had been to an Emirati wedding before but the other teacher and I hadn't.  We walked in and the place was white from the top of the ceiling to the floors. There were rows and rows of tables facing a central stage. At each table there were 8 chairs and table settings at each. We sat down at a random table and the food kept coming for about 2 hours. It was the craziest thing I had even seen. There were servers coming on all sides. They passed out a perfumed oil at the door, which is the picture below, and then women were walking around placing the oil on your arm if you wanted. There is another picture of me at the wedding. I would have taken more but you are not to take pictures of Emirati women, especially if they are not all covered up. 
Their was tradional Arabic music being played and food being served. There is a huge chocolate industry here. So chocolates were coming out of the woodwork, so much so that we ended up stuffing a great deal in my handbag. So Stuart benefitted from the wedding as well. Oh, did I mention no men can be in the women's side of the wedding. There are two different celebrations, one for the bride and one for the groom. Because the women deck out and are often seen without their traditional dress, no men are allowed. The wedding was held in the district where my school is, so of course I saw some of the students from my class. It was truly great and was definitely on my 'to do' list before I left here. 

Saturday (the 16th) we headed to Abu Dhabi to do our last Ikea run, hopefully. We haven't seen Gina since we left AD 11 weeks ago. She met us at Ikea, shopped with us, and had lunch with us. It was so good to see her. Our shopping trip was a success. We even bought a Christmas tree and a few decorations. We will be putting that up in two weeks, the weekend of Thanksgiving. 

Big event in Jack's life this week? He learned to tie his shoes. Not perfect, but good enough. 

Back to Al Ain to start another week. We are practicing for National Day here which is December 2. The country will be 42 years old and the decorations have been going up in the round abouts for a few weeks now. It is quite the celebration from what we've heard. We will get two days off, a Monday and a Tuesday. We may even get the Sunday before off, but won't know that until we are closer to the time. And what I mean by 'closer to the time' is the Thursday afternoon prior to December 1. For my class performance I have   written a song for them to sing and they are going to have little speeches to deliver to the audience. The girls are very excited.  We have been told that the kids in the outer lying schools have been know to not come back to school after National  Day until the first of January. This means Stuart may be done teaching from this Thursday on because his National Day ceremony is this Thursday. I will let you know. 

Take care and we love you all,
Dana, Stuart, Jack and Millie

No comments:

Post a Comment