Sunday, November 24, 2013

Here we go again! Another busy week.

Sunday was crazy at school, getting ready for the National Day performances for the parents. Our schedule for practice was a bit evasive so we ended up being in the auditorium for most of the day. No teaching? Ok. 

I went to the Zone to do another step in the kids' visa process. It seems it always takes one day for each step. So 'come back tomorrow and bring me the money' has become a common phrase I hear. 

We went to the mall for hair cuts for the kids because we are having family pictures taken on Friday. Both Millie and Jack were stars. Neither cried, although Jack is past that, and both can now see again, rather than peering from under their fringe (bangs).

Shopping for our clothes for pictures remains to be a difficult task, but I will persevere. Pray for me! 

Monday was our celebration of National Day at school. It began with a parade and the making of a flag out of people. All students were told to wear colors the color of the UAE flag. It was quite cool. 

There was a rotation for each class that consisted of tradional food, henna, face painting, an art activity and Yola dancing in the gym. Yola dancing is meant to be for men only but my friend, Mary, and I joined in the fun. It was a fantastic day all in all. 

By the way, those are not my hairy knuckles. I did not have henna done, but one of my students did. Stuart is the person who pointed out the hairy knuckles. I am not sure I would have noticed had he not said something and made me curious to not only go back and investigate for myself but also post about it. Ha!

I left school as soon as the kids did on Monday. It seems I do that a great deal. However, since everything takes a few steps to complete I have no choice. My principal has been very wonderful with me having to leave to get things done. She is a westerner so understands a bit of what we are going through. I went to pick up my items to take to immigration for their final residence visa. I paid my money and now am just waiting for the call to give exact directions to our apartment so we can be done with this process. 

A gal from work went with me to complete a step in her daughter's residence visa. She wasn't as far along as I was so I was happy to help as much as I could. If it weren't for people who have gone through this before, I am sure there would be more 'runners'. It can be frustrating.  

Our sofas were delivered on Monday afternoon. I think they are lovely. Our furniture hunt is almost over, thank good ness. 
When I got home from work I bathed the kids and we headed to the bank for a 'stamped' bank statement which proved we have been paid three times in the UAE.  I actually forgot to get mine stamped, had to run to the bank, and got lost on the way, which is not shocking to anyone who knows me. The stamped paper is all you need to qualify for a car loan. We went to the Kia dealer (most affordable and actually we like them) to once again look at the cars. The silver one we wanted was not there. Apparently the only 2 silver Sorentos in the country were already reserved for other customers. The thing I didn't like about the white Sorento was the tan interior. Again, the salesman tried to convince me that the white one was the best. After a lot of going back and forth, he finally knocked off some money so we could go get black seat covers and we bought the car, or should I say Stuart bought the car? When the salesman told me that a silver car in this country indicates you drive a taxi, that was all I needed to hear to be put off the silver car. 

I actually bought the Kia Soul. So much for waiting until after the holidays for a second car. In the end we decided it really wasn't feasible for me to take a taxi each day because of the hassle of the car seats. So my independence will remain in tact. 

Tuesday, of my 48 students only 24 showed up for school. Because we had our celebration on Monday there was not a huge inclination to be at school the rest of the week because National Day is this Monday (2 December) and we don't have school on Sunday or Monday. The big reason most of my students were there was because we had a performance for the parents both Tuesday and Wednesday. After school we went to the bank to finalize our paperwork. Somethig suspicious occurred and I will tell you what it was the next time I see you if you remember to ask. Once the papers were signed we just had to wait until the banker delivered the information to the dealer and knew the following day we could pick up our cars. 

Wednesday I had about the same number of students in my class as on Tuesday. The rest of the 4th grade classes together only added up to about 30. So it was decided that we would each have all of the students for one period (45 minutes). Suited me just fine. However, I am starting to panic that I won't get all of the outcomes taught. But everyone just says not to stress. Little teaching took place that is for sure. I did get a great deal done on the computer for my grades, though, and that made me happy. 

Wednesday evening we went to pick up our cars. There was some final paperwork and then after that was signed we had to wait another hour for a guy to go and get the registration for each car. We decided to get something to eat at the mall. When we returned our cars were ready to go. They turned the key in mine.....dead! What? They swapped a battery from another Soul, just like mine, and we were off. Oh, that is, after we had taken all of the plastic off the entire car; seats, doors, break lights, the entire car. There are many people here who drive around with the plastic still on each of their seats. You would think these cars were brand new, but I would venture to guess the majority of the ones you see on the road still dawning the plastic are not new at all. 

We arrived home in both of our new cars safe and sound. Stuart parked his next to his rental, which he had technically turned over to the company that afternoon but they had not picked it up at that point. Stuart jumped in my car, as the driver of course, and we headed back to the dealership to pick up my retal car. Now we only have one car to return. 

The kids were asleep by the time we got home so went straight to bed. It was about 9 pm by the time we were relaxing in the living room. At about 9:30 Stuart said, 'I don't think we are going to school tomorrow.'

Me: What?
Stuart: I don't think we are going to school tomorrow. The Sheikh just announced that all schools will be closed tomorrow because It was announced at 9 pm that Dubai had won the bid to host the World Expo in 2020. 
Me: Only in the UAE!

So on Thursday no students went to school. We knew we would have no students anyway because that's how they roll around here, but the teachers were going to have a luncheon and be able to get some grades put into the system. Oh well, another day I suppose.  So we took the kids to the play area at the mall, had coffee with some friends, went shopping, and were home by 2 pm for kid naps. 

The funny thing about this day off is that we also have Sunday and Monday off for the celebration of National Day. I can't promise, but after that we only have 8 student days before December break and it is quite possible that attendance will be down those last 8 days. But in the meantime it's like we are having a Thanksgiving break. Again, fine with me. 

Thursday evening, like many of you, we went had a Thanksgiving dinner, turkey, gravy, cranberry sauce and all. We went to the Al Ain Golf Club with Wade, Karen, their two girls, Cathy and her girls. We had a nice time just sitting and chatting with each other while the kids played outside on the play structures. It was a great night, and a suitable substitute for being so far away from other friends and family. Although I did miss my sister-in-law's sweet potato casserole. 

Friday was a lazy day. Earlier in the week on one of our shopping adventures, we did actually find something. For our photo shoot. Stuart wore something he already had, but the rest of us bought new digs. So Friday afternoon we headed out to the dunes close to my school and took pictures. I hope to have them back very soon and will post as soon as I do. Jack and Millie loved playing in the sand. Jack rolled down the dunes numerous times and ran towards the photographer on a few occasions for photos. Can't wait to see how they turn out. Needless to say, getting the sand out of crevices was challenging once we got home, but I'm pleased to report that all are clean and free of red dune sand. 

Saturday we left the kids with Kayleigh and Claire so we could go return the last of our rental cars, pick up a few things from Ikea, and do some Christmas shopping for the kids. The Christmas shopping was put on the back burner because we didn't restrain ourselves at Ikea. Our living room is nearly finished. All we need now is a dining room table. We did do some shopping at a mall and met up with Gina. She had some friends in town from Al Ain, ironically, who were very nice. They only stayed with us for a bit and then headed on their way. We ended up having dinner at Lebanese Flower, a cheap but very delicious plae to eat. Yum!  And we still have two more days off. Yahoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment