Tuesday, March 4, 2014

A Late Start

Usually each week I start writing the blog entry on Sundays. I write each day so I don't forget what has happened by the end of the week. I write in past tense so that years from now when I read the blog again the verbage will read like a book of sorts. 

This week I skipped Sunday and Monday all together. Tuesday was the first evening I sat down to write. Although it was only two days, I couldn't remember anything we had done for those days excluding the fact that we went out each day after school so Jack could ride his bike and Millie could ride her scooter (or as she calls it 'scoober'). I use the term 'ride her scooter' quite loosely. In fact, I carried the scooter, as well as Millie more than she rode. Fun for all!

Reading Jack's school newsletter the day it is emailed, as I stated last week, would  benefit me a great deal. Instead I read it in the middle of the week and realized that Jack needed to dress as his favorite storybook character for World Book Day and it couldn't be a super hero, which stinks because we could outfit Spider-Man, the Hulk, Iron Man, and Batman. At any rate, I had to run to the mall on Tuesday evening, the furthest one from our house because they have a Toys R Us store.  I felt that would be the best bet for a place to get a costume. I was wrong. 

I ended up buying him pajamas from a British store. They were Gruffalo pjs. It's one of his favorite books. He even had the theme of the Gruffalo for his 4th birthday party. When I got home he was asleep so I had to wait to see what he thought on Wednesday morning. 

I know this is random, but on my way to the mall I saw the sun setting in my wing mirror. All I could think was no matter which dessert you live in, there is something amazing about those sunsets. So here is the picture I took...and yes, it was while I was driving. Don't judge and be assured I never looked at my camera, just pushed the button. 
When Jack awoke on Wednesday morning I showed him what I got for his 'costume'. Although he loved the fact that he had a brand new pair of Gruffalo pajamas, he stated, 'Mama, it is supposed to be a real costume. That's not a real costume.'  I responded with an exasperated, 'I did my best. Wear this or nothing.' You'll be pleased to know he made the right decision for World Book Day 2014. 
I got to school on Wednesday and was informed there was food for us in one of the empty pods. At lunchtime I went over and this is what I saw. 
There was a full-on buffet for the entire staff. This was all provided to us by our art teacher. In Arizona we don't even have an art teacher, not to mention that most likely no one staff member would fork out the dough to feed 70+ staff members. It was quite incredible. 
This was my plate. It was amazing food. The downside was that I wanted to sleep after eating but it seems I had three more periods of work left in the day.  Random surprises like this happen a lot here. 

Thursday one of our grade 4 teachers came in with a swollen face because of a tooth issue. There were not enough people to cover classes (subs are not really used unless it is for a long term illness or maternity).  So I ended up having 2 classes in my room for the entire day. I felt more productive on Thursday than I had in a long time. Kids seem to sense when it's really important for them to behave and do as they are asked. 

Alright, so Jack and Millie are ruining some of the fun we were planning with Grammie and Pop. Pop was on the books for teaching Jack to ride his bike. Um, too late, he has already learned. Grammie has a well thought out plan for potty training Millie. Wouldn't you know it? Millie has come home every day this week and immediately said, 'I need to pee pee,' as she takes her clothes off, as well as he diaper, and proceeds to take her step stool to the toilet and climbs on. She does in fact pee and then stays in her panties for over an hour without peeing anywhere. No where near trained but working on it. Hopefully she can hold off for three more weeks. Then Grammie can work her magic and we can be well on our way to 'no more diaper city'!  And of course, when in ones panties and nothing else, it only makes sense to feed your baby. 

Thursday evening we made our usual trip to the Rugby Club. We actually tried to go to the Golf Club but there were no bouncies or trampoline set up for the kids because they had the horse races there Thursday afternoon and the play equipment blocks the view of the horses. So, back to our usual Thursday evening. The kids played hard and were exhausted when we got home. They took showers and went straight to bed. 

Millie slept until almost 9 am, but Jack was a different story. I woke up in the middle of the night and Jack was wedged between us. I asked him if he went to the bathroom and, because I was exhausted as well, didn't insist he go back to his bed like I normally do. Boy am I glad I let him stay. He had placed his feet up by us and his head was at the foot of the bed. I'm not sure how much time had passed between my conversation with him and the next thing that happened. Both Stuart and I sat straight up in bed to what appeared to be a cat throwing up a hair ball, arched back and all. Jack threw up on our duvet cover, but not all over the place. He was able to get to the toilet before heaving again. We stripped the duvet cover and put it in the washer (yet another day to be thankful for the dryer we bought). When I looked at the clock it was 3:45 am. 

We decided the top bunk was not the best place for a barfing kid. So Jack and I went to lay in the guest bed. I put a trash can right by Jack on the floor, which he used about 15 minutes after we laid down. He decided he would rather sleep on the sofa, the three seater, which meant I would be sleeping on the two seater, quite a sight I'm sure. 

I again placed the trash can beside him and between 4 am and 6 am he probably used it 5 more times. Poor soul! Each time we would travel into the bathroom and he would want to lay on the floor after each episode. I sat on the floor as long as I could (tile gets cold and hard quickly) and he would lay on my lap.  We traveled back to the sofa for the last time at 6 am and he slept until Millie came into the living room around 9. 

The rest of the day he just laid around and slept. We had plans to go watch the championship rugby match with the first team, but were thinking Jack shouldn't go. However, being up for Mother of the Year like I am (wink, wink), I decided a wise decision would be to take him to the match. He definitely was not himself, but in the end ate a slice of pizza and recovered a bit. He was still dragging when we got home around 8ish. He showered and went straight to bed. 

He came into our room Saturday morning, as chipper as a sweet baby bird. Recovered fully! So, as not to let the grass grow under our feet, we headed to Abu Dhabi for a day at the beach. Cathy and Claire went along and Gina met us there. It is definitely a treat to live so close to a beach, oh except that I hate sand. The kids had fun and were sufficiently covered with sunscreen, this time. 
We returned home and I decided a mani/pedi would end my weekend perfectly. Off I went for the mani/pedi and the kids ate and went to bed, well Jack went to bed. Yet another 'Millie' battle in our lives. As Jack says, 'Only 20 more sleeps until Grammie and Pop get her', which also means until we are off of school for two weeks. Can't wait!





No comments:

Post a Comment