Saturday, October 4, 2014

A 4 day weekend for some, turns into a 9 day holiday for others.

Sunday the kids slept in. Friday and Saturday nights were rather late nights so the sleep was much needed. I had told Jack that if he woke up to go to the bathroom, and we were not out of bed, he needed to go back and lay down for a bit. Not to worry, he didn't wake up to go to the bathroom and still slept until 9 am. Millie slept in until just after 9. Yahoo!

We were invited, once again for a cookout. This time it was at Wade and Karen's. We got there just after 4 pm and the kids played outside. I do miss outdoor space for our kids to play. 

We ate some amazing lamb, chicken kabobs, and kofta meat, which is ground meat mixed with spices and onions, very similar to meatballs. You form it around a skewer and grill it. Yummy! 

On Monday morning we decided to go to the Dubai Outlet Mall so I could get some rugby boots. I decided if I was really going to do this I would have to commit to getting the correct equipment, thus the need for the cleats. 

We got a pleasant surprise via Facebook when we woke up Monday morning. When we left Arizona a year ago we had to prepare by selling items, cleaning out cupboards and finding a new home for our dogs. When we called Arizona Beagle Rescue they found a home for Bonnie and Clyde almost immediately. We were sad, but so thrilled there would be a place for them to live and be loved. It was with a family who had two kids, a Bassett hound and a cat. We took them to Scottsdale one afternoon and said our goodbyes, which was most difficult for Jack. It broke my heart watching him bend down, cuddling the dogs and telling them goodbye and crying. I just bawled. A few days later we were called by the family and told they would not be able to keep them after all. They had a reason, but I really can't remember what it was. They asked if we could come and get them and keep them until AZBR could find them another place to live. We decided we couldn't put our kids through that, so we never told anyone that the dogs were in limbo with no home. That was how we left it and I have always felt weird not knowing where they were. 

Now for the pleasant surprise. We got a message and friend request from a gal named Nikki who said she and her husband were the ones who had adopted Bonnie and Clyde. She said they were getting ready to move to North Carolina and she wanted to find us to tell us the dogs were well loved and just fine. The correspondence we have had since her first message has been so great. When I read her first message I cried for about 20 minutes because I was so happy Bonnie and Clyde were well and very loved. Since that first message she has sent all kinds of pictures and even a video. Bonnie and Clyde have lost weight and look wonderful. I am so happy for them and so appreciative of the fact that Nikki took the time to find us. 

We got back from the outlet mall just before supper. We had a relaxed evening and prepared for our next day at school. After a holiday it is a total guess as to how many kids will be at school. On the school calendar we were to have Tuesday off as well, so we assumed there would be few students there. Many of our teachers would not be there because of prearranged travel plans. Unfortunately those people were docked a day's wage. Don't ask me! It doesn't make sense to me either. 

Tuesday, out of about 1400, my school only had about 200 kids in school. Wednesday was worse with about 120, and Thursday no students showed up. Those three days teachers were able to plan and the senior leadership team was able to meet and trouble shoot about different challenges we are still facing. It was useful time for us, but children didn't benefit a great deal. 
Tuesday evening we had Millie and Mama night again, which was a total success. Jack had rugby practice and afterwards Stuart had a meeting at the rugby club about student competitions we have started to introduce to schools. These competitions involve many schools and are supposed to promote healthy competition between schools. We shall see how it goes. He and Jack didn't get home until about 7:30, which is about an hour past Jack's bedtime. So once he was home he jumped in the shower, ate something and then went to bed. 

Wednesday I got a call around 9 am that Millie had a low grade fever. They didn't need me to come and get her, but said they would call if she didn't feel better. They gave her some Tylenol and she seemed to rebound, staying at school for the rest of the day. 

Wednesday after school I took Jack to basketball practice. I have been walking around the private schools by Jack's school while he is practicing, although it is still terribly hot at 3:30 pm.  I was living on the edge by wearing shorts and a t-shirt.  There seemed to be many more people around than normal. All of a sudden I felt very self conscious about wearing shorts. It was weird. 

Rugby practice was upon us and what I dreaded most was about to come true. I was about to start tackling grown women. Ugh!  It turns out that some of our best players were still suffering from injuries from the tournament (I know this is not encouraging) so full tackling did not take place. Still yet it was pretty rough and I actually withstood the challenge. We did do some drills where we tackled the dummie bags. There were 4 tackle bags in a row. We tackled, popped back up, me not as fast as others, and then shuffled backwards and all went together. It seemed that the third bag was the hardest for me. Every time I hit it I thought I would die. Let's just put it this way, if I had fake boobs one would have popped by now. Ouch!

I did run much better on Wednesday. It seems with a week off my hamstring was better. The only thing that hurt me Thursday was my neck. I really need to concentrate on tackling while leading with my shoulders. I still may be too old for this sport, but I am going to continue to go to training because I love it. 

When we got home from training on Wednesday night Jack was complaining of a headache. I felt sure vomiting was in our future. However, after some Tylenol he seemed fine and when he woke up Thursday  morning, initially, he seemed fine. But when he wouldn't eat breakfast I knew school was not in his future for that day. Stuart had already left, so I took Jack with me to school and called
Stuart so he could pick him up. Stuart was not very sad to take the day off considering we had very few students. 

I had dropped Millie off at Kayleigh's and taken Jack with me to school. When Andrew dropped Millie off at school, he called to say she had a fever. Since she had a fever the day before, I knew she was fighting something off. I told him to bring her back to our house because Stuart was on his way home with Jack. My sick kids!  I hate it when they are sick because I feel so helpless. 

Since there were no kids in school on Thursday, our Arabic administrators decided it would be a good time for some team building. So they ordered in food and we all celebrated Teacher's Day. It was great. They go all out for the smallest of celebrations. It is something I love about being here. 
Decorations were simple but noticeable. 
Food was presented elaborately. 
Our administrative staff spoke and offered up thanks for all the teachers do. 
We all filled out a card thanking someone for something they have done that we appreciated. 
Although the food was good and I love lamb on most given days, I draw the line at eating lamb when it is staring back at me. Look closely at the top left quadren of this picture and you can make out the sheep's head. No thank you!  Of course Stuart asked me to bring him home a doggie back. When I asked my Arabic Head of Falculty she told me that was fine and insisted I take him the head. She raved about it being the best part. I do know that the most distinguished guest gets the head at most feasts. Please, Lord, continue to see me as a lowly person! Yuck!

We had a very calm Thursday evening. We did finally get our washer back after a nine day absence. And wouldn't you know it, it reeks of cigarette smoke. So, either there is someone in there puffing on a swilac at every turn of the drum, or it sat in a nicotine infested warehouse while it was being repaired. Either way, don't you know I made the call and, Inshallah, someone will be by to look at it next week. 

Both kids were feeling better Thursday evening and both had taken naps earlier in the day, so were rested. We had dinner at Cathy's that evening. The kids watched cartoons and we ate pork chops. Yum!

Friday morning we all slept in a bit, and Stuart made us breakfast, which would be considered haram (sinful) to this culture we live in, but it was oh so delicious. 
Around noon we took Stuart to the rugby club to get on the team bus to go to Sharjah for his rugby match. Jack, Millie and I then went to the mall, met up with Cathy, had lunch, and bought our weekly donuts for the kids. 

We had a birthday party to go to around 4 pm. So we planned to leave the mall at 3:30 pm to get there on time. As we were starting to exit the mall, I could see out the doors that it was pouring! It was so great because it so seldom rains here. 
Here is Jack standing just on the other side of this outdoor food court area. It flooded immediately. 

Jack was all worried we would be late to the party, which we were, but I was not getting out in that rain with all of those people that have no idea how to drive in the rain. So we waited. The rain stopped about 30 minutes later. Jack told me he told God to make it stop and He did because God didn't want Jack to be late to the party. Fortunately Jack can't tell time yet. 

After the party we headed home for showers and supper. Dream time came shortly after the other priorities. 

Stuart rolled in just after 11 pm. They hadn't won their match, which sadly was not terribly surprising. But he had fun and it is something he loves. There was never really something he 'loved' to do in Arizona, besides shooting a gun, and that wasn't very often. So I am quite chuffed (English phrase for 'thrilled') that he has a hobby here. 

Saturday we headed down to Clare and Scott's house. Clare had brought home Jack's homework folder since he was sick on Thursday. Have I mentioned how stupid I think homework is? Always have, always will!  Anyway, we got the folder, had a cup of tea, then went to LuLu's to do our weekly grocery shopping. Since we were there and since there was a KFC there and since it was lunchtime, naturally we had to eat. 

After the brutal task of grocery shopping was complete, we headed back home and then to the pool to meet up with the Turners and the Richardsons. We swam for a while, came home and fed the kids, put them to bed, and then Stuartade chicken curry for us. Cathy and her girls came over. It was a nice, peaceful evening. Livin' the dream in the Middle East .....of all places. 





No comments:

Post a Comment