Tuesday, October 28, 2014

The weeks keep flying by

This past week marked the one year anniversary of when we moved into Greenland Compound and out of the hotel life. 

School is starting to get busy, which just means Winter break will be here before we know it. We are heading to Australia for that two week break, so we are getting excited. 

Jack was moved up a level in his leveled reader this week. He is so excited and really learning to read quite well. 

After school on Sunday Jack had basketball and rugby practice. We all went to rugby as we always do. Millie ran around as Jack played. They scrimmaged the age group below them so Jack was able to play against Louie, which he loved. I chatted, as I always do, with some of the other rugby moms. Sunday night was the first night this fall that I have felt a bit of coolness in the air. It was a delightful change for sure. 

Monday was training for Stuart and myself and I committed to actually playing on November 21. Stay tuned for pictures. 

Tuesday was Kayleigh's birthday so we skipped rugby for Jack and all went bowling. We had a great time. Kayleigh broke a nail, which was terribly upsetting to her, but she got over it. We ate dinner in the food court, as you do when you have two teenagers, two under 6s and 4 adults (Cathy's friend, Mandy, came with her) who all have different tastes. We shopped around a bit before getting frozen yogurt and then heading home. Both kids were asleep by the time we got home, so baths were not happening. However, Millie woke up just after 5 am because she had wet the bed. Therefore I gave her a bath. And because he heard the bath running, Jack came in as well and decided he needed a bath. Suited me just fine. 
Bowling with the bumpers up?  Really the only way. 

This week has been full of more illness in the Telford household. Jack went to the doctor on Wednesday and tested positive for strep, which could only mean I would soon follow in his footsteps. Sure enough, I coughed all night on Wednesday and ended up going to the doctor on Thursday morning and having the day off from school. Hopefully we will all be well after this round of antibiotics. Millie has finished her medication from last week, although she is still coughing in the evenings. We all blame Millie because she is bringing home all the toddler germs from school. 

Earlier in the week Millie had received a party invitation. The writing was a bit broken English but I assessed it was a birthday invitation for one of her classmates.  I was so excited because it was the first birthday party that Millie was invited to, without Jack. 

Thursday after school we headed to the little girl's house. There was a bouncy castle that had a water slide attached. The kids had so much fun. About an hour into the party I asked how old the birthday girl was. Her mother, who is Muslim (significant to the story), responded by saying,"Oh, it's not her birthday." Huh?  I said I assumed it was and that we brought her a present. 
The 'unbirthday girl is right in front of Millie'. She's a very sweet girl. 
It certainly seemed like a birthday party to me. 

Shortly after we were informed this wasn't actually a birthday party, the hostess began to ask the mothers how much we knew about Islam. Now, let me assure you I have been nothing but respectful towards this culture and the religion. I even, from time to time, ask questions of the Muslims I work with. But when I feel I have been tricked into coming somewhere to hear about someone's beliefs that I have no intention of ever agreeing with, then I'm irritated to say the least. 

I was respectful, but exited quickly. Prior to exiting, I prayed, 'Dear Lord, please let Millie have a meltdown right now.'  God answers prayers, because when she asked for some chocolates from her goodie bag and I said no, she fell apart. Well done, my baby girl!  As I tried to exit gracefully, thanking the hostess for having us, she asked if I would like to take some literature about Islam. I politely decline and left just a bit miffed. I just felt like this lady did a 'bait and switch' on us. She invited us to a 'party', but really she was looking to convert us. She is originally from India but lived in the states for three years. I have never had anyone here do something like that before now. It was odd for sure. 

After we got home from the 'not' birthday party with KFC, I went to a Stella and Dot party (jewelry) at a friend of Gina's house. Gina showed up there as well. Stuart had made hummus for me to take and it was a hit. 

Friday morning we got up and got ready for the Halloween party at Jack's school. 
My beauty and the two beasts are ready to party!
Millie couldn't decide between the Fleminco dancer costume and the Snow White costume. We compromised and wore one for the day time and one in the evening. Easy!

The school party had games and activities for the kids. They also had a trick or treating session around the school. While at the party the teacher's assistant in Jack's classroom, Raina, asked me if I was playing in the exhibition  game that afternoon. I hadn't really thought about it, but she urged me to do so. She plays as well and is one of the ladies who really encourages me. I decided I would play. 

When we got home from the Sunflower party, both Stuart and I got ready for rugby. He had a full match, whereas I would be lucky to play 5 of the 15 minute exhibition game.  

We traveled to the rugby club and I basically just stood around and waited to be told what to do. I was super nervous because it was unfamiliar to me and I knew it would be full on tackling. Yikes!

We got our jerseys and warmed up. By the time we played I was a sweaty mess. I sat out most of the game but did get in right at the end. There were a couple of times someone could have passed the ball to me, but didn't. Then, the last play of the match the ball was passed to me. I ran forward right into the coaches daughter who is a maniac on the field. It was awesome. I continued to resist her tackle and push forward. She finally did tackle me and the whistle blew, signaling the end of the match. I was so glad that I got to participate at all. It was so fun! Although I know I said earlier in this post that November 21 would be my first match, it seems I already played my first match. The only differences are that we won't be playing each other and we will be hit harder. 
Okay, try not to concentrate on the big 'can' of #24. Ironically enough, this is the number my brother had on his basketball uniforms throughout his career. Ha!
An action shot!

After the match the kids and I headed home to get ready for the trick or treating in the Village. Stuart made chili and we went to the Murff's house (DeDe and Craig), sat outside their villa, and passed out candy, while Claire (Cathy's daughter) and her friend walked out kids around. It was so nice and relaxing. Halloween was a success. 

Saturday morning we got up and the weather was so nice we went for a bike ride. The kids really enjoyed that. We headed to the grocery story after the bike ride for some much needed food. We then went to the mall for hair cuts and lunch. 

Once we left the mall we went down to Scott and Clare's (Henry's parents) and visited for a bit longer than was intended. They are such wonderful people. Clare ended up feeding my two along with hers, as we chatted some more. 

We left there around 6 pm, bathed and went to bed, but only after a treat from the Halloween stash. 

Once the kids were in bed Stuart and I sat down for a little relaxation. Stuart obviously dipped into the kids' stash as well. 





1 comment:

  1. Kids seem to be really very exciting for the birthday party. My cousin's wedding fixing party at one of the sober event space Chicago was a private affair. Food was tasty and especially the Italian cuisines. Drinks and red velvet cake were yummy too. Searching for fabulous themes and ideas for her big day, date is not yet done.

    ReplyDelete