Sunday, February 8, 2015

Valentine Week

When I got to school on Sunday I was informed that our teacher who had to have surgery was going to be out at least another 2 days. Boo! I wouldn't mind teaching if those were my students all year. However, being a sub just sucks! 

Fortunately I had them in the morning time, which is always better. In the afternoon I had a meeting to finalize rules and understanding of the spelling bee in which the Al Ain schools would participate. 

Sunday evening, like we always do, we headed to the rugby club for Jack's practice. I met up with Clare for an adult beverage while the kids practiced. We recounted the camping trip and how much fun we all had. Camping will definitely be on the 'to do' list, very soon. 

Monday was another teaching day, but not until the last half of the day. I had received the names for our spelling bee certificates on Monday at 3:35 pm, so spent most of my morning printing the certificates for 15 schools, 10 a piece. I had to type in all the names and have them printed, envelop them up and have hem ready to go. In the midst of the printing I had a teacher observation and a follow up conference. Once I hit the room to teach, I was in no mood for boy shenanigans. However, many of the boys didn't get the memo on that. They were challenging, to say the least. For the first 30 minutes I really just spoke to hear myself becUse none of them were listening to ANYTHING I had to say. I am not joking. Close to the end of period 5 it was strangly silent, so much so that I thought they were up to something. Turns out they just happened to all be quiet at the same time. About 6 boys were actually working on their assignments, whereas the other ones would not even look at me when I was speaking right in (literally) their faces. Again I say, until you live it, you can't understand it or even hardly believe it. 

I had a teaching assistant during 6th period who was phenomenal. She was able to speak to them in Arabic if needed. They seemed to respond well to her. It is just so maddening when you feel your strength is classroom discipline and then you are defeated by a bunch of 9 year olds. It's the culture of most boys' schools. 

By the end of the day I was worn out and ready to go home. However we still had our professional development for the week. Sometimes  we are instructed on things we have done in the western world for many, many years.  It's one of the evil necessities.  

I left school around 3 pm and headed home to boys upstairs playing but and then running out to go trash another child's house. Jack is having so much fun in this new house. We have laid down some rules and he has agreed to them, like he had a choice. 

I decided not to go to rugby training just simply because I felt I shouldn't be practicing until I met with the doctor again and found out exactly what was up with my knee. I really don't want to do further damage, if in fact that is possible. 

Just as Stuart was leaving and the kids were hitting the hay, I noticed on Facebook that our coach announced the team that would be traveling to Kuwait for one of the two tournaments left this season. Holy macaroni! My name was actually the second on the reserves. This meant if any two people couldn't go, I would be in. 

After practice he posted the final team. There were 12 players, two coaches, and the manageress. Our normal manageress had already stated she would not be able to go, which is what got me on the reserve list (I don't need to mention there were only three on the reserve list and I was number 2, do I?). Through a chain of events involving visas, I was informed I would be going as the manageress. That was beyond awesome news. Because of my knee issues I really doubted if I could play, so now I don't have to. Yahoo! I am actually going on the rugby tour with my team, and the club is paying for it. We leave Thursday (Feb 19) and return the following evening. It's a quick turn around, but all too exciting. I just love the team spirit we have. 

On Tuesday our boys went to the regional spelling bee in Al Ain. The didn't win anything but they seemed to have fun. Our girls went on Wednesday and one of our 4th graders won 3rd place so she will go on to the finals. This means another day out of school for me!

Tuesday evening I stayed home with Millie while Stuart and Jack went to rugby. As she often does, Millie fell asleep on the sofa around 6 pm watching Barbie. Our life is super difficult, day in and day out!  

On Wednesday evening we all went to the rugby club. I felt I should go, even though I wasn't training, since I was going to have the grand responsibility of being the manageress for the tournament  in Kuwait. 

Millie had formed a bond with one of the other player's daughter so ran off to play with her, although she is 11 years old. Millie will pick an older kid to play with every day of the week. I think it's because they baby her and she loves that. Tiana (who is actually Tua's, Jack's friend from school, sister) is so sweet to Millie. I love when the older kids are kind to the little ones. It warms my heart. 

Jack went off and played with Kennedy and Tua, and I just stood and watched practice. I have to say, I have missed scrimmaging, but not the 45 minutes of conditioning we do beforehand. I hate that part!

When we got home from rugby Millie was asleep. So I gave her a baby wipe bath and put her to bed. Jack showered, ate a peanut butter and jam sandwich, his latest obsession, and went to bed. 

Thursday was very uneventful at school. Jack had his field day at school to which he reported that he 'won every single event he did'. Humble, that boy is. 

Once we reconvened at home we headed to Abu Dhabi to make a needed run to Ikea. We had curtains, toy boxes, blackout shades, and shelves to buy. We decided to go on Thursday evening because Friday was rugby and Saturday we had a Valentine's part to go to. Gina met us at IKEA, because according to Jack 'that's what she always does', and we grabbed a bite to eat before heading back to Al Ain with our purchases. 

When we got home the kids were both asleep. Night number 2 of no bath for Millie, but just night number 1 for Jack. If you know me well, you know no bath makes me crazy. I am trying now to stress about such things, but there have been times I have woken the kids to bath them. Some might see this as cruel, I see it as giving them a comfortable, clean night's sleep. 

Friday morning we got up and did some odd jobs around the house. We hung a set of curtains and hung some pictures. Our place is starting to shape up. I will try to post pictures of it next week. 

We went to the club around 1 pm. Stuart had to be there to get ready for his match, so the kids and I tagged along and went to the pool. I just sat in a lounger as they played with some friends. The water must have been warm enough, because no one had blue lips and they swam for almost 2 hours. At one point Millie was in the pool, and I saw a guy get up from where he was at the side of the pool. He was ready to jump in and 'save' her. I assured him she knew how to swim. Because she is still so tiny, people can't believe she knows how to swim. It doesn't help that she just treads water with her head barely above water. 

Stuart's team lost again, sadly, but he played well and they act as if they win each week. Their team spirit is never lacking. 
We stayed at the club until about 9 pm. Again, when we got home, everyone was too wiped to bathe/shower. So night number 3 for Millie and number 2 for Jack. Yuck!

Saturday morning we headed to DeDe's for our Valentine's Day party. The kids were supposed to make Valentines and then we brought a treat to share. I became the Mother of the Year, yet again. Jack passed out candy bars with a wrapper on them that proclaimed that the child was 'bar none' the sweetest or the coolest, and Millie gave out heart melted crayons that had the saying on it 'Happy Valentine's Day for crayon out loud'. I made cake pops to take with us as well. I was a busy women this past week. 
As DeDe always does, she had everything organized and activities the kids loved. They made 'diamond rings' out of pipe cleaners and Hershey kisses, painted their own painting using either their hand or the stalk of a bunch of celery, and their own Valentine bag, we had a bite to eat, and they passed out their Valentines. 
Here is Jack getting ready to paint his canvas. 
The final product. My control freakishness might have assisted a bit. 

Once we returned home we relaxed while the kids played and watched television. Around 4 pm the Griffiths, Turners, and Richardsons showed up for curry night. 

Another terrible week in the UAE😃








1 comment:

  1. Valentine's day is around and the whole world has worn a red cover! There are hearts all around. Everything possible is in heart shape, be it chocolates, pillow, even pizzas!valentine week

    ReplyDelete