Thursday, February 26, 2015

Rugby is coming to a close

The numbers are getting pretty low on rugby nights. It's been a long season and everyone is getting tired. Only about 3 teams were practicing on Sunday evening, when usually the place is packed with at least 8 teams practicing. I sat inside because I had worn shorts and it was freezing outside. Jack practiced his little heart out while Millie played on the playground. At the end of practice the kids usually play for about 15 minutes or so. Lately Jack has been melting down when we tell him it's time to leave. However, on Sunday he did not balk one bit. It was so wonderful and I told him how proud I was of him. I also said he must feel really good about the fact that he came to the car with no fuss. I pray this behavior lasts. 

Monday after school I got a call telling me I would be going to Abu Dhabi on Tuesday morning for a training. Nothing like a last minute thing to keep you on your toes. 

Also I had physical therapy on Monday evening while Stuart went to rugby training. I was shown some exercises and told to ride an exercise bike each day. Um, hurts, but okay. She commented on my strength, indicating that my muscles were well developed. Duh!  She did an ultrasound on both knees. I'm not really sure what that was meant for but it felt pretty good. Then she placed these electrodes on each knee and connected them to a battery pack, of at least that was what it looked like. The right knee (the good one) got heat. It felt good since it was a little chilly in the room. The left knee (the messed up one) got ice. Boo!
Left=ice     Right=heat

After therapy I ran to the store to buy a new broom for inside our house. The sand storm from last week forced me to use the broom from inside, outside. I HAD to have a new inside broom. However, it was of no use. Asela, our house cleaner, used the knew inside broom outdoors anyway, primarily because I didn't tell him I had put the 'outdoor' broom in the storage room in the carport. Oh well. 


Tuesday Stuart was in charge of the boys' Al Ain spelling bee. He was the MC and did a fabulous job. I wasn't there but everyone who was told me how impressed they were with his presentation. So proud. 

Tuesday evening brought about an inner club tournament for the kids. All the Under 6s, 7s, and 8s mixed and played with and against each other. It was to be the end of the season tournament, except that the Under 7s have a tournament in Sharjah on March 6 and 7. Then we will actually be through with rugby until September. It has been such a fun season, but we are ready for some down time. In a few months time I am sure we will be complaining about going to the pool everyday, and then looking for something new to do. It's how it goes I suppose. 

I got my second shot in my knee Tuesday evening which left Stuart to get the kids home, bathed and in bed. I asked the doctor what would happen after the three shots were finished as well as physical therapy. He said the hydral liquid he was shooting into my knee should build up the damaged tissue and act as an artificial cartilage, helping the arthritis. He said it would take about 6 weeks to be completely healed. So, if 6 weeks from the last shot I am not better I will get a second opinion. Our rugby referee played professional rugby, then had to have the same surgery in Al Ain. She gave me the doctor's name and said he does knee surgeries every day and hers healed wonderfully. Good to know. 

Wednesday was the girl's spelling bee. My school had one student participating. She did not win anything but got to the third round. In all the time I have been in this present school, and the five trips I have taken before today which involved students, I have never had to take a bus monitor with me on a school trip. The bus monitors actually ride the bus with the students, to and from school, every day. It's a great concept, but I'm pretty sure I don't need another adult on the bus if I can handle the one student I had to take.  But on Wedneaday I was told that it was illegal for me to go without a bus monitor. Hmmm. Funny how it didn't matter any of the other times I took kids somewhere on a bus. Never mind. 

Wednesday evening I didn't go to rugby again. In fact I am pretty sure I won't go back this season. There is only one more tournament and I can't even go because Jack has a tournament as well on the same weekend. I have enjoyed it, but my rugby career may be over. It was fun while it lasted, the short few months. Stuart stayed home as well on Wednesday. I think it might have been the first or second time he has missed a training all season. He's way more dedicated than I am. 

Thursday we decided to stay in for the evening, mainly because I had physical therapy at 6 pm and if we went somewhere beforehand we would end up cutting it short. Well wouldn't you know, I looked up at the clock at 6:15 pm to discover I had missed my physical therapy session. Crap!  That was the main reason we stayed in for the night. I called and told them I would see them on Monday and would reschedule the one I missed at that time. 

Friday morning we had Gardening Day at Jack's school. They do this every year. It is a way to bring the school community together to enhance the facility. The kids play, and sometimes help, while the adults work. 
There was wall painting for everyone. 
Millie and her little friend, Kiera, did an excellent job with their painting. Jack just played soccer. 

Friday evening we went to the rugby club to watch the Men's 1st team final rugby match of the season. Pleased to report that they won. While we were at the club Jack got upset because he wanted his friend Tua to come for a sleepover. Tua initially said yes, and then changed his mind, which made Jack sad. Millie didn't care because she had fallen asleep about an hour earlier and it was only 7 pm. 

We ended up leaving and telling Claire (Tua's mom) that Tua could come for a play date on Saturday. I assured Jack I would contact her and we would make it happen. 

Saturday morning everyone was up nice and early. I decided to go to the grocery store to get our weekly shoppig out of the way. I had messaged Claire to tell her I would collect Tua when I returned from the store. In the end, we dropped Jack and Millie off at Claire's. She said she wasn't sure what was wrong with him but he just didn't want to go to other people's houses. I told her it made sense to me. He was the youngest of three kids and that is what babies of the family do. I distinctively remember calling my mom to come and get me from a sleep over when I was.....10 years old. It's truly amazing I have had so many adventures in my life because I started out as a total scaredy cat!

Millie played with Tiana, who is 10 years old, while Jack played with Tua. Stuart and I went shopping for some meats. We had decided to have our first BBQ at the new place. Since we had no outdoor space at the old place, it was never an option. But now we have a little space in the front and the back. It's great and a perfect amount of room for a small BBQ. 

About 2 hours after we dropped the kids off, I walked to Tua's house and the kids were easily brought home, no one fussed at all. How pleasant for me. I told Claire 'thank you' as did the kids and we were off. I also told Tua that next time he would have to come to our house to play. His head shook 'yes' but I'm pretty sure his brain said 'no way!'  We will see. 

The Rouvis, O'Reillys, and Cathy and the girls showed up at about 4 pm. We had an ultimate meat fest and just enjoyed each other's company. Our friends here really do remind me of friends in the Midwest. You plan a BBQ in the morning and you have a houseful of people by mid afternoon. Midwest, Middle East? Same thing....well, kind of. 







 

No comments:

Post a Comment