Sunday, March 1, 2015

Need it to heat up to rid us of germs

After the BBQ Saturday evening, the kids turned up sick on Sunday morning. I went in to work for the few hours I had to teach and then took personal time in order to take them and Kayleigh to the doctor. 
Nebulizer used on all, at the same time. Our little germ buddies. 

Jack tested positive again for strep. The doctor says that taking his tonsils out is not an option. He ended up giving him a different antibiotic, which he will be on for 10 days. Hopefully this new meds, along with the weather getting warmer, will kill all of his germs. It would also help if he would stop putting his fingers in his mouth to feel the progress of his incoming teeth. It's like having a newborn again. 

Jack wanted to go outside Sunday afternoon but I decided it was best to keep the kids inside and just let them relax. Well it didn't take long for the whining to commence. Recovery has begun. 

Stuart went on to rugby because he is one of the coaches so he had to go. Jack said he felt better and should go as well. Right! No!  Stuart ended up staying at the club to watch the England versus Ireland rugby match.  

The doctor ordered both Jack and Millie to stay home on Monday as well. I had to take an emergency day and stay home with the kids. When Jack got up he asked if Kayleigh was going to stay home with him. I told him I thought he would want his mom to stay home with him to which he responded 'Nah, I want Kayleigh to babysit'. I told him I was sorry to disappoint, but I would be the babysitter for the day. 

By noon they were both much better. I know this because they were on each other's nerves at that point. Everyone back to school on Tuesday. 

Kayleigh did come and babysit on Monday but after they were in bed. Stuart and I went to the rugby club. His team was playing touch rugby, which was over crowded, so he decided to run around the pitches. I, on the other hand, rode the stationary bike and kind of watched the girls play rugby, jealous I wasn't out there. 

Tuesday it was back to normal, well kind of. I had to teach all day because the other Head of Faculty had covered for me on Monday when I was home with the kids. The morning class was fine. But there is something that happens to the kids in the afternoon that is not normal. By 7th period I had had 4 fights (kids totally punching it out, a ripped phonics board, and a social worker laughed in my face. You really can't make this shit up! And you really can't imagine it or believe it unless you have lived it. But at half past one I put all of that behind me and enjoy my family life. Jack had his last official practice on Tuesday evening so to celebrate we went for curry afterwards. Jack ate a ton and Millie ate nothing. 

When I woke to Millie's cries at 1 am I knew she wasn't well. I took her to pee then laid back down with her. When I thought she was asleep I went back to bed, only to be awakened again to her scream. I got into the hallway and she had he hand up to her mouth. She hadn't vomited yet, but it was imminent. I walked her as quickly as I could to the toilet where she barfed, not a lot because she hadn't eaten much. She cried, we went downstairs and had some sprite, and back to bed she went. After I was snugly in my bed I heard the scream again. 'My belly hurts', bent over the toilet and yaked! Lovely! She went back to bed at about 1:45 am and this time she stayed 

When Stuart woke her up on Wednesday morning she seemed totally fine. We assessed that she had swallowed phlem and since she had very little food in her belly there was nothing to soak it up. Poor little dear!

Wednesday we had a slight conflict with a neighbor boy. I really hate these conflicts but now I understand why my mom forbid me from hanging out with certain kids. 

Thirsday was World Book Day. jack was to select a book he could read and dress up as the character. As we looked through books I suggest a Mr Men book. He said he couldn't do one of those because he was supposed to be able to read the book. He then opened one of the books and began reading it. He looked up at me and said, 'Hey, why can I read this book now. I never thought I could read books with this small writing isn't them.'  I just giggles. 
So he went as Mr Bump. He was super pleased with his costume and book selection. 

Thursday Jack was grounded for his poor decisions on Wednesday. Although we felt he was coercesed, he still did something naughty and needed a consequence. I also went to speak with the other child's mother and told her that we would need to redefine this friendship. I told her I felt they were a bad combination and Jack would be limited to his interactions with her son. She seemed to take it well, but then Stuart felt she was giving us the cold shoulder at the rugby tournament. We both agreed that we can't be concerned with other people's feelings when it comes to protecting the character development of our kids. I really do understand now, Mom!  And thank you for keeping me from harm. 

Later Thursday afternoon we went to the Richardsons for dinner, so the grounding was only a few hours long, which seemed to get our point across. We made it an early night because our weekend was going to be packed with excitement. 

Friday morning we got up and headed to Sharjah, another one of the Emirates in the UAE. Jack had a tournament on Saturday, his last of the season, so we decided to go up Friday, spend the day at a new water park, and then spend the night in a hotel. 

We got to the water park just after 10 am, opening time. It was a bit breezy and cool, but soon heated up. Also, we were the only ones there for about an hour and a half. It was so great. There were water slides, tube rides, a lazy river and a play area for little ones, like Millie. 
The play structure was perfect for Millie. I sat on a lounge chair and she played in the ankle deep water. Relaxing!
Stuart and Jack braved the large water slides. Millie was too short and really wasn't interested anyway. 

The kids had a great time. We left around 3 pm to check into our hotel and have a bit of down time. Once all the families were settled into the hotel we met downstairs to go and find some food for supper. Although it initially seemed like a good idea for 25 of us to go and storm the city, in the end it didn't work out so well. The UAE has late hours in its restaurants and most don't open for the evening meal until almost 7 pm. Plus, there were few places that could accommodate all of us. So in the end we went across the street from the hotel and ordered street food (schwarmas, meat plates, and French fries). We took the food upstairs, ate, and hit the sack. I really don't enjoy group activities as much as I used to. Getting older, I suppose, is part of the reason. 
Here we all are walking down the street in Sharjah. We weren't very conspicuous, which is also something that bugs me about being in a group when you are not in familiar surroundings. 

Saturday morning we headed to the rugby club in Sharjah around 8:30 am. After being on every pitch in the UAE and one in Kuwait, that really wasn't a rugby club, I have decided that we have the best rugby club in the UAE. We have plenty of pitch area where we can host a large rugby event. There is plenty of space for eating and drinking, should you choose, and the atmosphere is top notch. This rugby club was too small to have the event for which they had planned. The first match was to start at 9:09 am and we were to be finished by 1 pm. We didn't finish until around 4 pm. It was a long day in the sun. 

Jack played so well. He does everything he is told to do on the pitch. Being a rule follower really pays off in the area of sports. He played in a total of 4 matches and probably scored 8 tries. I can't help but be super happy for him. Fortunately he is relatively humble about his contribution and always refers to his team as the winners. I am so thankful for this. The last thing I want is a cocky athlete. I want him to be proud of his efforts, but to keep things in check. 
Jack is so sweet to Millie, most of the time, and Millie is Jack's biggest fan. 
Stuart is such a patient coach. He always encourages the boys without criticism. Not all of the coaches behave this way. It's a bit shameful to watch some of the other teams and their coaches. I would hesitate letting Jack play with teams like that. Ugh!

His team ended up getting beat in their last game, mainly because they were exhausted and the other team was a bit rougher than they were used to. All in all it was a great day and a wonderful season. 

We headed home, stopping for a bite to eat at the outlet mall. Once we were home the kids got a bath, had some fruit, and headed off to bed. 

Another wonderful week in the UAE...oh, except for the kids being sick. Yuck!





No comments:

Post a Comment