Monday, March 16, 2015

Next to last week before spring break!

Even though our rugby is over, the Six Nations rugby tournament was just starting this week. Sunday evening we had the Richardsons over to watch rugby and have curry. The match didn't start until 6:30 pm, so after we ate, the kids all bathed or showered and got their jammies on. Scott, Clare and the kids stayed for the first half and then headed home. It's so great to have them as our friends. We really do enjoy their company. 

Monday I had last shot in my knee. I asked the doctor if I should be okay now. He told me the shots were for the arthritis, but the torn meniscus wouldn't heel, but the shots should have eased the pain from the rubbing of the arthritis. Huh? It's possible I misunderstood our initial conversation, but most likely not. 

He told me to come back in two months if things weren't better. Uh, Nope. Going to get that second opinion next week, hopefully. I want to be able to work out again someday and lose the rest of this weight that I have been trying to lose for the past 4 years. I will keep you updated. 

My principal was away the first two days of the week.  She went to a conference in Dubai. And sadly, when the cat's away, the mice will play, holds true here as well.  With one two weeks left before break, and next week being testing, there seems to be a great deal piling up around us to do. I suppose that is the way it always is. Since we have two teachers who are substitutes they don't have access to our computer grading by program. So I am responsible for putting in thei grades. They give me the outcomes sheet indicating whether the student mastered, was developing the skill, or was emerging in the skill. It's a hassle, but it has to be done. This part of my job makes me glad I was a teacher last year because I had to put in grades and know exactly what to do. It will all get done in time, I suppose. 

Tuesday evening we headed to the rugby club to do our March Madness picks and celebrate St. Patrick's Day. We ate dinner there and filled out our brackets. The kids played and had fun, like they always do. 
Millie was less than impressed with St. Paddy's Day. 

Wednesday after school the kids and I went out to blow bubbles. Have I mentioned how much Jack and Millie love our new neighborhood? It's so great, and we love it too. 
Bubbles!

Wednesday at school I found out I was supposed to go to a meeting on Thursday for Abu Dhabi Reads, an initiative to encourage reading in Arabic and English. When we went to the meeting we had to have head phones for the translation. I have never been to a meeting where you are given headphones for the translation. Most venues have an Arabic speaker as well as an English speaker. The best part was when we had a question and answer period. It didn't dawn on anyone that all Arabic staff might need the head phones as well. A question posed by an English speaker prompted the translator to tell us he was switching to channel 2 in order to translate in Arabic. At this point I looked around and began to silently giggle to myself. He was translating to NO ONE!

Thursday evening Gina came into town from Abu Dhabi. Stuart decided to BBQ and we stayed up to have a good 'catch up'. 

Friday morning we lounges around the house, finally getting ready around 11 am. We headed to Bawadi Mall for a bowling alley birthday party, my favorite!  Stuart was in charge so that Gina and I could shop around and have lunch. We ate at a place I had never been before. It was delish, and when we headed to the party and told Stuart about it, he was a bit bitter and went to get take away from the restaurant. Ha!

The kids were fed McDonalds and then we headed home. Our initial plan was to go to the pool but the party lasted longer than we thought it would. So back to our place for a cup of tea. Gina left just before 4 pm and Stuart and I got ready for the end of the season rugby party, not to be confused with the Rugby Ball, a much classier event might I add. 

Kayleigh came to babysit and we headed to the club. The actual party was a BBQ out at the Sands Golf Club, which also doubles as our church. 

There was dancing and food the entire evening. Everyone seemed to have a wonderful time. The bus we rode from the club was to go to Pacos, a local night club, at midnight. But by 11 pm this old bag was ready for some sleep. I danced like a fool and needed some sleep. So we caught a ride home with our good neighbors, Rayna and Leon. 

Saturday morning was another morning of lounging as well as another birthday party day, ironically enough at the bowling alley. Not that we don't love parties, free food, and cheap birthday treat bag stuff, but we (meaning me) are a little over the birthday extravaganzas. However, at the one on Saturday we scored an entire pizza on our way out as well as a 100 dirham gift card for Fun City. The kids have not played at Fun City for at least 6 month. Stuart and I were talking about it the other day and reminiscing about our first 4 months in the UAE and how Fun City was our main form of entertainment. So the gift card will be a special day out for us now that rugby is over and we have all this time on our hands. 

We came home from the party, which was around 4 pm. The kids bathed and got into their jammies. By 6:30 pm Millie was asleep on the sofa and Jack followed her shortly after. Stuart and I finished watching the final rugby matches. England had to win by 26 points in order to win the entire tournament. Sad to say, that did not happen, but they gave it a good try. How is it that I now love rugby and actually understand it? Hmmm.


No comments:

Post a Comment