Thursday, May 7, 2015

It's heated up and it's gonna stay that way

On Sunday I arrived at school late. It has been really tough to get out of the house while Stuart sits on the sofa with his second cup of coffee. I needed him to go back to work so our lives could go back to some sort of routine. 

I got home from school and Jack had a friend over playing. The maintenance men came to fix our water pump, or at least that's what I think it was. I didn't really pay attention since it didn't  cost us anything for them to do so. Of course, you get what you pay for and since we have needed that water contraption fixed since we moved in, free sometimes means we wait for a long time for things to get fixed. But it's fixed now and that's what matters. Now if they could get on our bedroom air conditioner that would be nice. 

After school on Monday we all went home early again. Stuart and I took my car to get it serviced then headed to Al Ain Mall to try to find some shoes for me for the Rugby Ball. The only reason I needed new shoes was because I had nothing tall enough to keep my dress from dragging the floor, and me from stepping on it when I walked. 

There was success in the hunt for shoes.  Also, I had to purchase new glitzy earrings because the ones that were perfect, which I had purchased in Abu Dhabi, lost a stone and I couldn't even find it to glue it back in. The second pair I bought was not as sparkly, but they would do. We then had dinner at Fudruckers, and headed home for the evening. 

After the kids were bathed, Stuart went to his doctor's appointment, where he was finally discharged and his stitches were taken out. He was cleared to go back to school. 

Tuesday I left school early so we could go get the kids and take Jack to an ENT pediatrician. As we suspected, primarily because of his snoring...or the fact that we have eyes and can see, his tonsils and adenoids were deemed as exceptionally large and the recommendation was to take them out. It was recommended to have them out June 16, but since that was Jack's end of the year program, and we had a choice in the matter, we selected extraction date as June 23. He can't go to school for 10 days and since he only has three days of school after his surgery that will not be a problem. 

After his appointment we went to the Starbucks in the hospital and had coffee. As Jack ate his donut and Millie her cookie, we discussed what would happen when he had this surgery. Poor boy started crying. He is tough as nails, but this type of thing is a different matter all together. Mama may have shed a tear or two later, thinking about the whole matter. 

After Starbucks we went to pick up may car from the service station, then headed home. Stuart went done to Wade's just to Catch up with him.  Jack had gone to Sammy and Michael's house.  I called Stuart when he was about halfway to Wade's because I had received a message from Clare, Henry's mum, saying that Henry had asked if Jack was coming down. Stuart turned around and came to get Jack because Henry lives right next door to Wade, Millie had Lila and Freya over, then Fraya ran into Lila and Lila wanted to go home. I walked them all over and Millie stayed at their house. So I had about a half hour to myself. 

In that time, my friend DeDe called and wanted me to check in on her kids. She was at the salon getting her heart done and her husband was supposed to be home with their kids. Their oldest is 13 years old, but they didn't have a phone so she was concerned. I popped over to their place, forgetting I had left vegetables on the stove cooking, which I do quite often, even when I'm in the house. Fortunately when I got back, all was well, the kids and the vegetables. 

Jack didn't get home until about 7 pm onTuesday evening. He hadn't eaten and was filthy. Millie was already in bed because she had fallen asleep on the sofa after she ate supper. I got Jack showered and some food in his belly. Then it was off to bed for him, and me not log after that. 
  
We found out at school on Wednesday that the inspection team for schools in the UAE would be coming for our monitoring visit. Schools get a monitoring visit when the previous year's inspection was not satisfactory. Hello! I put it down to the fact that I wasn't at this school last year. 

Wednesday after school we took the kids to the pool. It was nice because we were really the only people there. Usually there are a lot of kids there for the kids to play with, but not that day. So Jack and Millie played together. We didn't stay long but we all had a nice and relaxing time. 

Thursday was Millie's international day at her school. We woke up and the battle began. I had Grammie buy her a stars and stripe outfit last July 4, especially for this occasion. She refused to put it on. Stuart tried to reason with her, but no luck. In the end I just told her she didn't have to wear it. I told her she would be the only kid without a costume on that represented the country they were from. We left her alone and in the end she took the outfit, went into the bathroom, closed the door and came out with the skirt and t-shirt on. She looked adorable and appropriate. Thank goodness. 
Thursday after school we went to Chucky cheese in Dubai for a birthday party. I'm not sure why I let the kids see these invitations because I just end up being guilted into going to such parties. They had fun and we came home with a great deal of cheap little toys that somehow end up under my feet and I through them away. I had bathed he kids before we left for the party, so before we left for home I put thei jammies on them. The big trick, once home, was to lug them upstairs to their beds, but I managed. 

Friday morning we Skyped Grammie, Pop, and Uncle Mitch, who was in Arizona to work and for a visit, before heading to the super market for our weekly shopping. 

The kids just stayed around the house for the day because that evening they were going to have house guests. The Richardsons and Griffiths were bringing their kids over for the evening, while the adults headed to the annual Rugby Ball. The kids were jammied up by 5 pm, which was when I started working on my hair. I wasn't super satisfied with the end result but it would have to do. 

Once the spanks, dress, accessories, and shoes were on, I headed downstairs to reveal the final product. I felt a little bit like a princess, I must admit. I also must admit that the second pair of earrings I purchased also lost a stone in one. So I ended up taking the first pair I purchased and breaking off parts of each earring until they matched and no stones were missing. A little white trash, I realize, but I was stuck with no options. 
We arrived at the Rugby Ball just after 7 pm. Everyone was seated and awards were given for the adult rugby teams. My entire team received medals for our participation during the season. It was great to be a part of that team. Whether I play next season or not, I will always value this year with the team. 
We all clean up nicely. This is part of our team. 

After the awards there was dinner and dancing. Paddy Man, the Irish band brought great music and a bit of humor as well. The evening was a real treat. 

Saturday morning we awoke to the pleasant noises of 4 small children. The Griffith family ended up staying the night and by 6:30 am, less than 5 hours after going to bed, we were released from our slumber.  Needless to say we were tired most of the day. 

Around noon Scott came to take Stuart to show him where he could take his Land Rover for inexpensive repair and tune-up. He brought Henry and May and they stayed to play with Jack and Millie. When Stuart and Scott returned Jack went with Scott and Henry, while May stayed with us. While May and Millie watched a movie, Millie couldn't keep her eyes open any longer. She ended up taking a nap. Poor dear. 
We made arrangements to meet the Richardsons at the pool around 4 pm to exchange kids. In the end we went to their house to order curry for supper. Stuart took the Land Rover and left it with the mechanic. Scott picked him up and they picked up the curry on the way back then the Richardson's.  The kids bathed and we're ready for bed by the time we ate. 

We stayed longer than intended, as we do, but had a great time, as we always do. 

Another fabulous week in the UAE. 

No comments:

Post a Comment