Monday, April 27, 2015

Birthday celebration continues

I got to school on Sunday and realized I forgot to tell Stuart 'Happy birthday!'  So I immediately called him to apologize and wish him a happy birthday. When I left work I went to work out at the gym. I was told that the exercise bike was okay for me to do. After I rode, I decided I would need to take up swimming because my knee was killing me. 

When I got home from the gym, the kids were ready to go to the pool. I got my suit off and we left for the rugby club. We stayed for about an hour and then headed back home to be with Stuart.  

I had taken shower stuff for the kids to the rugby club, so they were clean when we got home, but I wasn't. I hopped in the shower and then we went to Chili's for Stuart's birthday dinner. Stuart had received some gift vouchers from DeDe and Craig so we went to spend them. When we finished dinner and were walking out, guess who we saw? DeDe and Craig with their kids. They are at Chili's at least once a week. 
The bottomless diet Cokes are what we love about Chili's. 

Because Stuart was not going to school for the week and a bit more next week, I hit snooze on my alarm out of habit, or so I thought I did. I actually turned the ala off and went back to sleep. Needless to say I was late to work on Monday. We ended up not having to stay late on Mondays, as we normally do (by late, I mean 3 pm). I went home and just relaxed. The kids played outside for a bit, but then came in because it was really too hot. It's now time for more pool days for sure.

Tuesday was more of the same. Work, home, relaxing, tough life. 

On Wednesday I left work early for a doctor's appointment in Dubai. My second opinion regarding my knee was not to my satisfaction so I sought out a third opinion. One of my colleagues from last year just had knee surgery so I went to see her doctor. He is from Canada and seems very knowledgeable. He was very thorough and really got to know me and my background. He said he didn't want to jump straight into surgery, but wanted to prescribe a stronger medication for my arthritis and see if that helped over a two week period. He did say that I definitely had a torn meniscus and some damage of some sort, but wouldn't fully know unless he scoped it, which would be after trying the meds. He said if they were not effective he would order another MRI done by their state of the art machine, and then he could tell better what he was dealing with. So I will report to him in two weeks and we will go from there. 

When I got home from Dubai, Kayleigh had come over to bathe Millie because Stuart was still unable to do such a task. The kids were excited because Claire was coming to babysit.  Stuart, Cathy and I decided to go to Quiz Night at the rugby club. We actually won a dinner for 2 from on one of the quiz rounds. It was fun and a good way to break up the week. 

On my way home from school on Thursday, this was in front of me for my viewing pleasure. I never get tired of seeing camels in a truck. 

Once I was home, I took kids to pool.  Stuart stayed home because he didn't feel well. After we returned Stuart was to go to the doctor for his one week follow-up appointment. He got there at 6:40 pm with his appointment being at 7 pm and the doctor was in surgery and wouldn't be out until around 9 pm. Classic!  So his appointment was rescheduled to Sunday evening. 

Friday morning I set my alarm, anxious to get to Abu Dhabi to spend the rest of the weekend with Gina. We're supposed to go to Muscat, Oman this weekend but in order to save money we just decided to do a spa weekend in Abu Dhabi. 

I arrived just before 9 am so we did a little shopping. Before our mani/pedi appointments. We went to Ikea because Jack's favorite jam is there and I needed to stock up. Of course I bought much more than jam, but no need to discuss any of that. 

We met one of Gina's friends at the mall for a lovely Italian salad prior to getting pampered. Then it was on to the nail salon (or 'saloon' as we so often see it written in English). After having my feet sandblasted, Gina and I shopped for a while. I was looking for a dress for the Rugby Ball which is May 8. Last year I had a long dress but it was nothing especially fancy. So I decided this year I needed to act as if I was going to prom.

There was only one shop we could find with gowns in it, which is really odd because usually there are three or four in each mall. I tried on two dresses and liked them both. In the end I decided on the cheaper one, and am very glad I did. It was definitely more my stlyle. Stay tuned next week for photos. 

After purchasing some other bits and failing at our attempt to find shoes for the ball, we decided to head to dinner around 8 pm, which meant we had literally shopped til we dropped. Dinner was delightful and we had a coupon which made it all the more enjoyable. 

We finally reached Gina's apartment around 10 pm, sat a talked for a bit and then retired for the night. 

We woke up just before 7 on Saturday and lounged around for a while. We had scheduled a spa day at the St Regis Hotel, less than a 5 minute drive from Gina's place. We had a 'buy one package get one free' coupon so we each got a body polish, body massage, facial, a tea and nut break, a 'light' lunch, which was most likely just light in calories because there was plenty of food, and we were able to use the spa facilities, which for us was a dip in the jacuzzi. It was a perfectly relaxing day that we both needed and deserved. 
The foyer of the St Regis
The obligatory selfie
We were created with lemon mint drink and dried fruit. 
The dressing room
Our visit to the jacuzzi was short but very relaxing. 
Gina's new pedicure color matched the jacuzzi. 
I always look and feel as if I've been beat up following a massage. As you can see, this day was no exception. 
We were served out 3 course 'light' lunch on the terrace. 
Course no. 1: feta salad with lemon vinegarette dressing
Course no. 2: Gina had a silo in with halloumi cheese and chili infused potato sticks. I had baby chicken with grapefruit and rocket salad. Yum!
Course no. 3: slices seasonal fruit and lemon sorbet. 

After this lavish spread we returned to Gina's for a bit and then I headed home. 

Over the two days I was missing Stuart played Mr. Mom. On Friday he took the kids to Action Zone in the morning, they had lunch at the mall, followed by the purchase of donuts. In the afternoon our neighbor, Lila, had a birthday party. Stuart took both kids over and stayed for a while and then the parents of Lila told him to feel free to leave the kids and they would ring them to our house after the party. So Stuart had some time to gear up for taking them to the rugby club Friday evening to watch the UAE 15s women's team, of which consists some of the Al Ain players. They didn't stay the entire game. Stuart said they had a very full day. 

On Saturday they got up and went to Fun Farm play area in the mall. Stuart bought a black tie for the Rugby Ball. Apparently we are going to look a bit classier this year than last. They spent the rest of the day watching movies and chilling at home. 

I arrived home just after 8 pm, just in time to put away all my purchases, unpack from my two days away, and start a load of laundry. 

Clearly, another wonderful week in the lives of the Telfords. 

No comments:

Post a Comment