Sunday, April 19, 2015

Doctors, doctors, and more doctors

Sunday was a busy day. First of all Stuart found out Sunday morning that there was a parent meeting at his school that would be held at 11 am, and students would be sent home at 10:30 am. He said only 3 parents showed up and the staff was allowed to go home at noon. Huh? It's how we like it, spur of the moment and quite advantageous from time to time. 

Once he got home he decided to take a trip back up to the hospital to see why he hadn't been called about his surgery. We knew insurance approval would take a few days, but thought for sure he would be called to do his blood work at least by Sunday. At the hospital he was told to come back at 7 pm to meet with the doctor. 

In the meantime I went for my second opinion, finally. I stopped in at the hospital after school and was told to come back at 3 pm and the doctor could see me. Doctors appointments? No need. Just come and he will see you. Ok. 

I showed up just before 3 pm and he was still not out of surgery. After sitting there for an hour, I asked the nurse how much longer she thought I would have to wait. She told me it would be about 10 minutes because he was with an emergency case. 

When I did finally get in to see him he examined my leg and then told me that most likely I had some torn ligaments. He told me to go and get my MRI film from my previous doctor and make another appointment so we could go over the images. He said after we looked at that he could tell me my options. I suspect surgery is inevitable, but I won't know for sure until my next appointment. 

When Stuart got the hospital they informed him that the insurance had approved his surgery the previous Tuesday. Naturally! So he could have had his surgery earlier, but no one called him. They proceeded to do his pre-op stuff and get him prepared for surgery, which would take place sometime in the week. 

Monday after school I went to complete my birthday shopping for Stuart. You see, the Land Rover Discovery that he test drove before Christmas became my surprise for his 40th birthday. I had spoke to the guy who listed it for sale and asked him if I could make payments over 3 months and also leave it at his house until Friday, the 24th of April. He agreed and I got all giddy. I was going to be able to by him his 'project' car. When he first moved to Arizona he wanted to buy an old car and fix it up. He's quite handy with cars and wanted to have a hobby. At the time there was no way we could afford a hobby like that. So, although I think the car I bought him isn't the prettiest thing in the world, I knew he would love it! I went Monday to get the title changed into my name. I was pretty sure he didn't have a clue. 

On Monday Stuart went to meet anesthesiologist. When he got there for his appointment he had to wait for 30 minutes because the guy was in surgery. If you thought waiting for a doctor in the states was sometimes frustrating, come here. No rhyme or reason to why they book appointments when they do. Because the doctors usually have their offices in the hospital, surgery takes priority over appointments. I suppose that's the way it should be, but when you are the 'appointment' it can be frustrating. 

Tuesday Millie had first play date with our next door neighbors, Lila and Fraya. They were so cute. The girls came over and played babies in Millie's room. It was so sweet to hear her conversation with the girls. 

We were going to go to dinner for Stuart's last meal before surgery, but our friends, Joe and Jamie, asked us to keep their daughter, Ava, because their son, Eli, had his tonsils taken out and they were dealing with that so needed Ava to stay somewhere. In the end we decided to order in Chinese food and watching a couple of episodes of Bones. Well, I mainly slept through them. 

Wednesday morning we got up a little later because Stuart didn't have to check into the hospital until 8 am. He couldn't have anything to eat or drink after midnight so me drinking my coffee in front of him was not the nicest thing to do, I suppose. 

Millie had school pictures on Wednesday.  I took a picture before she went to school because I was pretty sure by the time they took photos at school she might not look her best. I reefer school pictures and my messy hair. 
 
We got the check-in desk at 8 am and he was taken to his room. He was asked to sign some consent papers and then the nurse started to poke and prod him. 
This is at the beginning of the poking and prodding. 
This is in the middle. 

The nurse then wanted to see Stuart's shaving job. Uh, no one told him to shave anything otherwise he would have done so. Off to the bathroom, with an electric razor, he went. I couldn't help but laughing. That is one hairy bear to shave. He had to shave from the middle of his stomach to his pelvis. Re growth is going to be itchy! I shouldn't have found humor in this, but I did. 

When they took him down to surgery I went grocery shopping. Since I am not used to being the cook I had to dig deep to find some recipes that were easy and could be prepared ahead of time and frozen. My plan was to do a couple of meals on Wednesday night while Stuart was in the hospital. 

After groceries I headed back to the hospital and waited for him to come back to his room. He returned just after 1 pm and his teeth were chattering. I asked him if he was cold and he slurred something at me. When the nurses were trying to get him to move from the gerny to his bed it was quite comical, most likely for just me. He was shivering and the nurse was yelling at him so he would wake up enough to help move himself to the bed. Instead, he started rolling from his right side to his left side, the side of the repair. 

Once we (honorary Nurse Dana) got him into the bed he kept saying, 'Shit! shit! shit!' And I kept saying, 'You can't say bad words here.' However, this let me know how much pain he was really in. I asked him if he was cold and he said 'no', so I figured the shivering was from the pain. I told the nurse that Stuart was tough as nails so if he was saying he was in pain he would need more than a drip of paracetomal (Tylenol). 

The nurse went away, came back with an injection of something, and about 10 minutes later Stuart was sleeping, very loudly!  I stayed until about 3 pm and then headed home to get the kids. He wasn't awake when I went to get them so wasn't really sure what state we would see him in when we returned. Was a little hesitant to bring them to the hospital to see him. I remember going to the hospital when I was in 5th grade because my mom had surgery. I remember thinking she was going to die. I think it can be scary for kids. 

However, we tried to explain to Jack what Daddy was having done. Both kids were more focused on the fact that we were going to eat at a restaurant which seemed good to me. 

We ate at the elegant McDonalds and then got a text from Stuart saying he was awake. So we headed to the hospital. When we got into Stuart's room he was asleep. Millie just bounced right in, but Jack was cautious. I said Stuart's name and told him we were there. He was still more groggy than I had hoped he would be. I could tell that Jack was concerned. Stuart kind of drifted in and out of sleep.  The kids wanted to see his scars, which happened to be on his belly. Millie giggled and giggled when she saw them. Jack just had a million questions. 

I had some M&Ms for this kids and Millie happily took them, but Jack just stared at Stuart and said he didn't want his. I asked him if he was worried about Daddy. I assured him he didn't need to be and that Daddy was going to be fine. He said, 'I'm not worried about Daddy. I just don't want them.'  I knew this wasn't entirely true, but figured I would talk to him on the way home. 
Jack was a little less bothered when Stuart asked him if he wanted to play the iPad. And Millie just wanted to wear Stuart's surgical hat. 

We didn't stay long because Stuart was not really up for visitors and it was about time for the kids to go to bed. We got home, read books, Millie fell asleep, and Jack wanted to talk. We talked for almost an hour about why people have surgery, why they die, and the fact that they get burned when they die. That last fact actually happens in Star Wars only, which I had to explain to Jack was not real. It was just a movie. 

Jack asked why Granddad Tom died. That was Stuart's grandfather that passed away a year ago. It's funny, because when I spoke to Stuart's mum after the kids had gone to bed Wednesday night, she reminded me of how hesitant Jack was around Granddad Tom the Christmas we went to the UK. It was just a few months before his passing. When I recalled his behavior at that time, it reminded me of his behavior at the hospital with Stuart. 

I think I calmed his fears with our conversation while he was in his bed, but time will tell. It's crazy to think of all things that go through children's minds that we never know about. That's why I'm so happy to sit and talk with Jack for an hour after his bed time, and focus on his fears, trying to subside them as best as I can. 

Once the kids were in bed I made enchiladas and stuck them in the freezer. I had meatball sub casserole ready to go on Thursday once Stuart was home. 

Things got much better when the kids got home from school Thursday and Stuart was there. He looked much better and acted WAY more alert. He was discharged around noon so we had some time to settle in before the kids got home. I ended up going to get some grocery shopping done and then had coffee with the other Head of Faculty at my school. Stuart was sleeping anyway so what did he care. 

I took the kids to the pool Thursday after school so Stuart could get more rest. Also, that evening was the rugby awards for the teams. Stuart wasn't there to be in the team photos, but he was mentioned and the wishes him a quick recovery. The kids got medals and a really cool little duffle bag with the Al Ain Amblers emblem on it. Jack was so proud of both. 
He didn't wear his clear for the team photo because in the few weeks since the season has finished he has grown out of them. Time for new rugby boots and a new uniform, clearly. 

The kids were fed burgers, Millie are French fries and I waited until we got home so Stuart and I could eat the meatball sub casserole together. 

Stuart attempted to go upstairs at the end of the evening and sleep in our bed. Unfortunately laying flat was not an option. So he ended up sleeping on the sofa downstairs. 

When I woke up Friday morning I started making cookies for Stuart's birthday party at the golf club. It wasn't a surprise but he didn't really know who I had invited. The cookies were instead of cake. He's not a big cake guy, but he loves oatmeal raisin cookies, so that was the first batch I mixed. After I had them mixed, I stuck them in the fridge and 'Operation Get the Land Rover Cleaned and to the Golf Club' began. 

I asked Stuart one last time if he was sure he was up for a party. I told him I could cancel, but not really wanting to. However, he assured me he would be fine. I again told Stuart that I had one last birthday errand to run before that evening. It was 8:30 am and he asked me what was open that early. I had to tell him to zip it and that I would be back as soon as I could be. I drove to our old apartment where the Land Rover was parked. I had the keys because when the title changed hands, the seller gave me the keys. I drove the car to the automatic car wash and had it washed. As I was sitting in the car, a fine mist came through the sun roof. Did I mention this is a 'fixer upper'?  Fortunately it doesn't rain very often here. 

After the car was clean I took it to the golf club. I had arranged for our friend Scott to come and get me and take me back to my car. When Henry, Jack's buddy and Scott's son, saw the car he was so impressed and wanted to ride in it. He was so cute. It made me know I had bought the perfect gift. 

Once I was home I told Jack what I bought Daddy. He was so excited. I told him I would ground him for life if he said anything. Around 1 o'clock Gina showed up from Abu Dhabi. Stuart was surprised. He then started asking me who all was coming. So I told him and he started to get excited. In the meantime, I made about 8 dozen cookies for the party. In fact, I was quite the domestic goddess the two days since Stuart's surgery. I had made two casserole, 8 dozen cookies, fixed a button on Stuart's shorts, and ironed said shorts as well as a collared shirt, which I hadn't done in years.

As I was finishing up the cookies, Jack stormed into the kitchen and said, 'Daddy, we bought you a watch for your birthday'. At first I was going to say that we didn't, but then I decided to jump into Jack and pretend he had just spoiled our surprise. You see, Stuart knew you could pre-order the Apple watch that was due to come out on April 24. So Stuart really thought he was getting a watch. It wa perfect. As soon as I could get Jack alone, I told him I was sorry I was cross with him, and that actually what he did was perfect. 

I finished the cookies, sat and chatted with Gina, and then got ready for the party. We got to the golf club just before 5 pm and Gina, Stuart and Millie went in while Jack and I hung back so I could show Jack the Land Rover. He was so excited and immediately climbed up the ladder at the back of the car. I scolded him because he got it dirty. Crazy boy!

We finally got in and most guests had arrived by about half past five. We order appetizers and a lot of water because it was crazy hot on the patio. They turned on the swamp fans but that wasn't much help. 
Me and the birthday boy. 
Gina and the birthday boy. 
The guests. 

Once the kids' food was at the tables I read the poem I wrote for Stuart.  

LORDY, LORDY, STUART'S 40

We all get older, and I suppose a bit smarter

That is definitely true for Stu

He's turning 40 and has gained in wisdom

Since the day he met 'you know who'

I feel I have enhance his life

With my love and my charming wit

Let's celebrate this man we all love

And tonight, get him a little lit

As I planned this party and thought of tonight

I didn't want to buy a gift that was foolish

I mean 40 is about half your life

So it had to be something kind of coolish

I thought of the practical, thought of the safe

But that seemed too boring for him

I wanted to buy something useful, for sure

But didn't want to purchase on a whim

He said, 'Surprise me!' 'Oh crap,' I thought

A surprise really wasn't for me

I'm the person who hates surprises 

And can't keep one at all, you see

However, the more I mused about it

The more I wanted to see

If I could keep a big secret

And get him a memorable gift from me

I have no idea if he has a clue

I have done my best to keep it a mystery

But in this little parcel is a gift that I hope

Will go down as his best gift in history

I then handed him the package and he pulled out the car keys. Because he had driven it in December he knew exactly what the keys went to. He started laughing and then saying, 'Ouch, I can't laugh!' I really surprised him. It was be far the best reaction I have ever had from him. 

As people asked him about it, he kept saying, 'It's my project,' which is exactly how I had described it. He is very proud of it and very happy to be 40. 
He immediately went out and took some of our interested male guests to see it. Gina followed with her camera so will post those pictures when she sends them. 

The rest of the evening was so relaxing. My work was finished. So pleased that I didn't spill the beans prior to the party. 

When we got home Friday night out downstairs outlet breaker tripped and we couldn't get a hold of anyone in maintenance. So, Stuart being crafty, took every extension cord we had in the house, strung them together and plugged our refrigerators into an outlet upstairs. 

Saturday morning we got up and just lounged around. I called maintenance, who as we guessed showed up 10 minutes before we were going to go out for lunch. They sorted out the electricity by replacing two of the little breakers. It was fine all day Saturday, but we shall see if it lasts. 

We spent the afternoon at the mall having lunch and getting Gina some new sunglasses. When we got back to our place we had some tea and Gina left just before supper time. 

The kids had an early night and the weekend was complete. Another week begins with happy people in the Telford household. 

P.S. I have nearly finished my pallet project. Need to add a few more doodads, but almost there. 
Close up of the large one
Close up of the small one
View from the bottom of our stairs. 







No comments:

Post a Comment