Saturday, April 11, 2015

Spring Break

Since camping was a bust, half of our spring break plans were blown away with the sand. When we woke up Sunday morning, the infamous question arose...'what are we doing today?'  We had no answer. 

After thinking for a little while and drinking a cup of coffee, we decided to go to The Mall of the Emirates in Dubai where the indoor ski slope is. Ski Dubai is an amazing place. Who knew in the middle of the desert you could play in the snow. Initially we were going to do the penguin encounter but it was fully booked by the time we arrived at 11 am. We then decided to just take the kids in to do the snow tube rides, the toboggan ride, and the ski lift. We had hot chocolate, like you do in 20 degree weather, and played until we were freezing. It was so much fun. 
Here we are waiting to get our ski gear. It's part of your admission price. 
We rode the ski lift all the way around the slopes. 
Hot chocolate is not good unless there are a lot of marshmallows, whip cream, and M&Ms of course. 
We saw the Penguins and hope to hug them the next time we go. 

We ate a late lunch at a place called the Butcher Shop. As you could guess, we had the most delicious steaks. We had a buy one/get one coupon from the Entertainment Book (oh yes, we get those here), so it was reasonable. 

Once our meal was finished we walked around the mall for a bit. The kids each picked out something to buy, Jack a stuffed camel and Millie a paper pad with a pen. She takes your 'order' now and fixes your meal in her 'kitchen'. So funny!

We were not even out of the parking structure and Millie was sound asleep. It was just before 6 pm and she was shattered from the day's activities. We all were. 

We got home and showers were skipped and beds were entered. What a great day!

We woke up on Monday morning and had the Richardsons over for breakfast. They had company all last week so a good 'catch up' was needed. In that time with them we decided to book a hotel apartment for two nights in Abu Dhabi. 

Monday evening we went out to the desert and had an Easter egg hunt. We BBQed And may have eaten a bit of sand in our burgers, but it was fun. 
Everyone was getting the rules of the hunt. They hunted the empty eggs and then brought them back for their treats. It was very clever. 
Jack helped Millie a bit. It really makes up for the times he's not so helpful to her. 

On Tuesday we headed to Abu Dhabi. Our first stop was the beach. We went to the family beach on the Corniche. We have never been there but have now decided it may be our favorite. Because we were there early enough we got to set up our coolers and towels right by the kids' play structure and under one of the gazebos. It was great. Millie and I tried to build a sand castle, but in the end just ended up burying our feet in the sand. 
This was our view from the gazebo. 
This was a big stretch for me considering I'm not super crazy about getting dirty. I felt like the Mother of the Year, yet again. 

We spent about 4 hours at the beach and then headed to our hotel apartment. Naturally when we got there the apartment wasn't quite ready. So why not go to the pool?
This was the view from the pool. The four little dots in the pool are Henry, May, Jack and Millie. 

When we finally got checked into the apartment we settled in, showered all the kids and started dinner. Stuart and I had brought ingredients to make nachos. It was a perfect way to end a great day. The Richardsons are easy people to travel with. 

On Wednesday we got up and lounged around the apartment until around 11 am. The kids played games and the adults drank coffee. We then headed to the pool for about an hour, returning to eat lunch and get ready for our kayaking adventure in the Mangroves. 

Mangroves are various large and extensive types of trees up to medium height and shrubs that grow in saline coastal sediment habitats in the tropics and subtropics. They are phenomenal and people in this country kayak through them every day.
Here we are with our life vests on, ready for our two hour paddling adventure. 
We saw many creatures on our tour. This blue swimmer crab was something both the kids were brave enough to hold. 
Most of the trip Millie and I were in the same boat. She didn't work very hard on paddling. In fact she didn't even have a paddle. Jack was a little more helpful to Stuart because at least he had a paddle, although it wasn't in the water much. We had a great time. Unfortunately this was the day I started to feel ill. 

After we returned to the hotel, we took our things upstairs to the room and then went to the pool for about an hour. We ended up eating in the bar by the pool. They had wonderful fish and chips, which is what all the adults ordered. It was right at the end of the dinner that I started fading. My stomach started cramping and I had a slight fever. Ugh! This would most likely not turn out well. 

Back in the room, kids bathed and had a snack then were off to bed. The adults stayed up and watched useless television. In fact, in the end we were watching cage fighting, which we all criticized as being ridiculous, yet we continued to watch. 

Thursday morning there was more of the same, lazing around in the apartment just relaxing and enjoying not having to do a thing. We checked out of the hotel just before noon and headed to Yas Mall, a new mall in Abu Dhabi on Yas Island. It was massive, as all malls are in the UAE.  

We did a bit of shopping and then had lunch at rogo's Rollercoaster Restaurant. It was certainly a novelty. You ordered your food on an iPad and it was delivered from a 'Rollercoaster' that clearly ran from the kitchen upstairs down your table's track to your table. Clever, really! Pricey, truly! However, the kids thought it was great. 
Here is Jack ordering his 'Down South American Fried Chicken'. 
Jack's 7up was delivered right to him. We knew it was his because it had a tag attached that had on it the number 4, which was the seat where he was sitting. 

I would have enjoyed it a bit more had I not completely come down with some kind of stomach bug that morning. I knew it was coming on the morning before but thought I might get lucky enough for it to pass. Oh, sadly, I was not. 

I know I was really sick when we went to the candy shop and I didn't buy any for myself. Neither did I get any Garrett's Popcorn (my favorite popcorn made famous in Chicago). Stuart asked me why I didn't just get some so I could have it once I was better. I told him I couldn't even consider it because smelling it turned my stomach. 

When we left the mall we headed for Al Ain. I slept the entire way home, as did Millie, unfortunately. When we arrived home I told Stuart he would have to unpack the car because I was going straight to bed. I told him if he took Millie upstairs I would get her jammies on and put her back to bed. I suspected she would wake later in the evening since she fell asleep at 4:30 pm, but that would be Stuart's problem. I just had to lay down. 

Once I was upstairs, Millie was sorted, and I was in bed, I heard this,'You are kidding me!' Then, 'Dana, the electricity to the fridges went out.' This being said as he stomped up the stairs. I quickly jumped up and went downstairs. Stuart kept grumbling and saying things that I didn't care to respond to. I opened the freezers and fridges to see what all had been ruined. There were a few things that had defrosted that would have to be cooked immediately or thrown out. Quite frankly, I didn't care what happened to the food at that point, and I told Stuart so as I headed back downstairs. 

I could smell him cooking throughout the evening, which was not helpful to my issues, but I was thankful that he at least found a way to salvage most everything. 

Millie woke around 9pm and was hungry, of course. I heard her but didn't see her until a bit before 11 pm, when I attempted to put her back to bed. I was not well and not in any mood for any of her shinnanigans. But she was not interested in the least of falling asleep. I tried everything I knew. In the end I just sat with her until she fell asleep just after midnight. Lovely!

Once I was back in bed I tossed and turned, and hit the toilet, the other hours I was there. Miserable!

When Friday finally arrived for me, around  9 am, I went down to the couch and perched myself there for the day. Stuart and the kids headed to the rugby club for a birthday party. That is another sign that I am truly sick, I missed a social event because all of our friends were there with their kids. 

They came home around 3 pm and I was still down for the count. I was a bit better but still in no mood to eat and didn't much want to move. I mustered up the energy to give the kids a bath, but was exhausted afterwards. The stomach cramping was what I had a hard time tolerating, and by Friday evening it became pretty constant. NaturallyI Google searched what possible type of disease/parasite/ailment/cancer I could possibly have. Before Google I had no idea how germ ridden I was, and I'm pretty sure I was happier about that. 

I went to bed Friday night and slept through the night until around 4 am. When I woke up I felt as if someone had ran a truck over me. I was sore, as if I had been bruised, from my head to my toes. I really didn't feel much better. I got up and showered, thinking that would make me feel better, and it did for a little while. 

The rugby teams were scheduled to take pictures at 11 am that morning so Stuart asked if I wanted to pack the swimmers and take the kids to the pool after. I didn't want to, but thought it might actually help to be in the water and sun. 
Stuart's team
My team, minus a few members who were still on spring break. Our captain, and friend Claire, is the one in the middle holding the ball. This is Tua's mum, Jack's friend from school. And Rayna, one of the ladies we camped with is on the far right, sitting on the bench. 

After the pictures we went to the pool. I started to feel a little more normal but had no interest in eating, although we all went into the club to have lunch. I just had a Sprite Zero. We went back to the pool for a bit and then spent the rest of the day at home. Because school was starting back up the next day, we decided a night in would be good. So I told the kids we would order a movie off of iTunes, get movie snacks out, and hang out together. We ordered Penguins of Madagasgar. So guess what movie I will see 30 times in the next month? For sure!  Fortunately it's cute. 

The kids went to bed and I actually ate some food. My stomach was not right afterwards, but I think I'm on the mend. Time will tell. 

Posting early especially for my faithful readers so their Sunday morning reading is not delayed. 😘





No comments:

Post a Comment