Sunday, April 12, 2015

The beginning of the last term of our second year

It's often hard to believe we have been here for almost 2 years. Sometimes the days drag, but for the most part everything about our lives is so much better excluding missing our family and friends. We are relaxed and virtually free of stress. My biggest stress from day to day is making the kids' lunches. Truly!

At any rate, we are closing in on the end of year 2 and Term 3 is now underway. As we suspected at my school, we only had about half of our students in school on Sunday. As the week proceeded the numbers grew a bit and most likely we will have all of our kids back by Sunday. I'm not sure why this is the trend in some schools, but it is. 

I was a bit weak and had no appetite on Sunday but was alright for the most part. What a relief that was. 

When we got home from school the kids watched a movie and played indoors because it was 106 degrees outside. Cathy came over for tea Sunday evening and we had a good catch up from the holidays. 

On Monday I was asked to cover three periods. During our senior leadership team meeting the other Head of Faculty and myself were told we would need to be available to cover for absent teachers each day. I suspect I will be covering at least one period each day for the remainder of the year, and I did cover one each day this week. 

We were also told each of us would need to stay after school one day each week for kids brought back to school on the bus because no one was at home to collect them. Since everyone here has a nanny I am not sure why this is even an issue. 

Stuart stayed home from school on Monday because he had a sinus infection. He also finally decided to have a hernia looked at, and wouldn't you know, he's going to have to have it fixed sometime next week. He will heal just in time to play in the rugby tour tournament in Pucket, Thailand in May. Lucky him!

Monday evening we spoke to Grammie and Pop and spoke to them about what toys would need to go in their garage sale. They also informed us they were thinking about coming to see us at Christmas this year. Yahoo!  

After the kids were hyped from Skyping, they finally went to bed. My intention was to then go get my second opinion on my knee, but by the time all were settled I was too tired. I ended up putting it off until the end of the week. 

The rest of the week at school was just really routine, except for my Wednesday after school bus duty. It proved to be a bit difficult because even though the bus monitors (yes, they hire an adult to ride on each bus with the kids) are supposed to call the parent to have them come to the school and pick up their child, the girls I was in charge of were there for a long time and the bus monitors left them with me. This is when not speaking Arabic really bothers me and makes me feel inferior and uncomfortable. Fortunately all of the children were picked up with little hassle and I was gone by 3 pm. 

Wednesday evening we ordered sushi from the lady who makes it fresh, and cheap. The sad news is she will be moving and will only make sushi here in Al Ain for another 2 weeks. Wouldn't you know it? Just found her and now she's moving. Boo!

Thursday Stuart and I had training on our new math books. We took both our cars to be tinted down in an area called Saniya. It's a little bit like the back alley where you can buy a 'watch' if you know what I mean. English speakers usually have difficulty with communicating, but you just point a lot and play a little game of sharada and typically you get what you want. For $116 we got both of our cars tinted at 30%, nice and dark. It only took us a year and a half, but better late than never. We left Stuart's car before the training started, went and traded cars, leaving mine when we had a break during the training, and then picked it up after the training was over. It was perfect!

Jack had career day on Thursday. Initially he said he wanted to be a rugby player when he grew up. When I explained to him that very few people play a sport professionally when they grow us, he settled on a paleontologist. He was so excited. He came up with all the added accessories with his outfit. 
Here is my little Ross Geller from the sitcom Friends. 

Thursday evening we headed to the rugby club for the committee votes. Stuart ran for treasurer for the club. He had to give a speech and the registered voters of the club voted for each of the positions. Only 67 members out of about a thousand came out to vote for the committee members. It was a sad turn out, but what are you going to do?  The votes were 34 to 33 for the treasurer, and sadly Stuart did not win. Boo!

In the end he was not all that disappointed but just said he would run for a position next year. After the vote he was asked to be the captain and seconds team coach for next season. Well, he might as well have been asked to be the Prime Minister of England. He couldn't have been more excited. 

I took the kids home and put them to bed. The committee meeting continued with many new proposals for the new board to decide upon. Stuart stayed and had a friend run him home after the fact. 

We got up Friday morning and went to Dubai to go shopping. We didn't need anything particularly, but the Richardsons were going and invited us along. It was a good reason to use coupons in our Entertainment book and try a new restaurant, so we did some shopping as well. 

We bought Millie and Jack wallets to keep their money in. It's not like they have a ton, but they have enough to keep track of. I still haven't figured out the whole allowance/pocket money thingy. When do you start giving your kids money? I think things like making their beds, picking up their toys, and putting their dishes in the sink are part of their family responsibilities. No body pays me to do the laundry or clean the house. Oh wait, I don't clean the house.  I pay someone to do that for me. At any rate, the question is still there. I suppose we will figure it out, but for now we just kind of give them money when we notice something they have done that might be exceptionally kind or thoughtful. It's kinda d of random for now. It's not like they really want for anything. Maybe when they are older we will start making them responsible for buying some of their own things and giving them a set amount that can cover that. Who know. Can't think that far ahead. 

We decided to stop at the outlets on the way home to waste some more time. We needed to make sure Millie didn't fall asleep too early because then she wouldn't go back to bed until late. So we had dinner at the outlets and got home around 6:30 pm. But wouldn't you know it, Millie didn't sleep one wink and was wide awake when we got home. I bathed the kids and then it was nighty night for them. 

I, on the other hand, stayed up and started putting pictures in frames in order to put up my 'heart' picture collage. I stole the idea from my friend, DeDe, whom I'm sure stole it from Pintrest. I will post it when I finish. I ended up staying up until almost 4 am getting the pictures I the frames and laying it out. Simultaneously, I started watching Dance Moms. Holy guacamole! That is a train wreck of a show and I love it! I think the season I watched was the only one filmed in 2011, and I kind of know why. Reality television makes my life look so boring. They better get paid a lot of money to do such a show because they are selling their character for sure. 

Waking up Saturday was not that much fun. I did sleep until about 8 am, which would have been really nice had I not gone to bed at 4 am, rather had gone at a more normal time. But alas, I did not do such a thing. We had decided to have a BBQ Saturday afternoon. It seemed like a really good idea when it was arranged. 

Stuart headed to the grocery store with Jack, while I headed to the mall to get some pictures developed with Millie. Millie and I had such a delightful time. She was a perfect angel, which is not super common for Millie, especially with me. We had a bite of lunch at the food court, bought donuts for the BBQ, and then stopped at a little shop to buy a camel to put up on our wooden pallets we've hung on the wall going up the stairs in our house. I will attach a picture when that is complete as well. 

When Millie and I arrived home, Jack was ready for the pool. Stuart stayed home to get things ready for the party, and the kids and I went to the pool. A few hours in the pool and out we came to return home to a houseful of people. 

The Turners, Rouvis, Richardsons and eventually the Griffiths, all came for some BBQ. Everyone brought their own meat and a side to share. This is the third by BBQ we have had since moving to the Village. It's so nice to have a place where a few families can come and gather and have a good time together. 

Everyone left just before 7 pm. I did a little straightening up and actually vacuumed. It was the first time I had used our vacuum cleaner. I know, shameful. I showered the kids and they came down to watch the rest of Wreck It Ralph. Bed shortly followed for all of us. 

Yet another fine week in the Sandbox. 

No comments:

Post a Comment