Sunday, September 13, 2015

The week before Eid

We have one week of school and then maybe two days of school, but then again, depending on the moon sighting, it may be three days of school. 

We started our baseline assessments this week. Since we are down one teacher I get the privilege of giving the tests to a grade 2 class of girls. Super painful!

School is starting to really shape up compared to last year. Or maybe I'm just getting used to the chaos. It may be a combination of both I suppose. 

Sunday evening Jack had rugby practice and Millie did cartwheels on the pitch while I swam my 50 laps. I have to lose this weight fast because my knee is getting worse, sadly. Sunday night it must have cracked/popped 6 or 7 times. I don't think that's good. It aches and makes me feel super old. So project 'lose my fat ass' is in full force. 

Our routines at home are about the same each week, now, except Jack has received more homework this year. Am I the only one who thinks homework is stupid?  I know as an educator I shouldn't feel this way, but I do. It's busy work, too often, and doesn't really do anything but instill discipline to get it done. At any rate, we are do bees and get it done. He is on Level J in the A to Z reading program, which thrills me. Now if he would just pick up a book and read voluntarily. Fortunate for us, all his friends who are older than he is, like Henry and Oscar, read books like The Hobbit, and it makes Jack want to read like they do. I love nerdy influences. 

Monday after school Jack had piano lessons. When we got there the teacher told us that they were starting the Little Mozart program for some students to be taught in a group setting. I asked her if she thought it would be a good place for him. She said sometimes boys are better off in a group class because they are not as bored. She said he has been learning a little slower than normal. Um, hang on! He has had 2 lessons and now knows the nes of all the keys on the piano, can play 4 songs in his book and knows what a quarter, half and whole note are. Really? Damn musicians! Think if Beethoven doesn't step into their rehearsal hall, they need a sped class for him. I did, however, check into it, even though I was a bit insulted, and the class is on Tuesdays at 5 pm. Um, so is rugby. Now way that boy is giving up rugby for piano lessons. So, we will be the family with the boy who wasn't quite good enough after 2 weeks of lessons. Oh well!

Prior to the beginning of lessons I asked Jack if he would like to take lessons with other kids. After the lesson we got in the car and I told Jack I had found out that the group lesson was on a Tuesday and that would conflict with rugby. So the group lesson wasn't an option after all. Here was our conversation:

Jack: Mama, which lesson should I go to? Should I be in a small group or on my own?

Me: well, what do you think?

Jack: I wish I could see what the group lesson was like, but I do think I would have more trouble concentrating with other kids playing the same time as me. So I think just lessons by myself are better. I think I will learn more. 

Settled!

Tuesday I took care of the same grade 2 class as Monday.  I administered more of their baseline assessment tests. This has to be the most frustrating task I have had this year. The test is visually not pleasing, plus the girls vary in abilities. However, the grading is easy at the first of the year because the knowledge is minimal. 

I rushed around after third period to finish up tasks in order to head out, yet again, to another meeting. Stuart had to go to the meeting as well, but he had the entire day off. The meeting was about formal assessments. The lady who delivered the information simply read the PowerPoint that we will be sent just after this meeting. Why is it that a meeting is called and is considered very important, yet the delivery is something I could do without another individual? Ugh! It did get me out of school, but at this time of the year it is better for me to get things done at school in order to make it easier for my teachers. 

After our yawner of a meeting, we headed to the grocery store but were diverted by a call from the kids' driver (and our friend) Andrew. He was having difficulty with his other driver and needed us to pick up the kids. So the grocery trip was delayed until we had kids in tow. The grocery store is way more pleasant without them, but you do what you have to do. 

Once we were home we got ready for Jack's rugby practice. We did our normal Tuesday night thing; I swam, Millie terrorized on of the other rugby player's sister, and Stuart and Jack were busy on the pitch. As we always do, at the end of every rugby practice, we let the kids play on the field and play structure. Just as we were about to leave I saw, from afar, Jack tumble, head first, off the play structure. He fell about 5 feet. He came up crying as Stuart rushed toward the playground. Scott happened to be there and got to him first. Once I got there he really boo hooed. He was covered in sand and his head had a little popped out bump just above his temple. We asked him if he was dizzy or felt size, and he said 'no'. I think the sand below the structure was soft enough to keep him a bit safer, but falling head first is never good. 
Here is what it looked like Wednesday morning. You can see the scuff just above his temple. Jack also pointed out that on his face you can see the sheet marks from his bed sheets. Ha! He seemed totally fine Wednesday morning, although he slept later than Millie did. 

Once the kids were fed and had brushed their teeth, we went to pick up Kayleigh. I had decided I would let my boss know I would be late Wednesday and Thursday mornings in order to help out Andrew. After talking with Kayleigh on the way to school, we have about decided it would be cheaper for us to have the kids take a cab with Kayleigh to school and then we would pick them up most days. We are going to give things another week and then decide. 

Once I dropped the kids off I headed to school. It took me about 30 minutes longer because of traffic. So glad I don't have to take the kids everyday. 

Once at school I was bombarded by one thing or another. No matter what country you are in you have your stereotypical teachers. You have a know-it-all, a lazy one, a high maintenance one (or three, in our case), a whiner, a bossy one, a faker, and several run-of-the-mill teachers who just get on with their jobs. Just like in a classroom of students, you end up giving more attention to these 'types' than you feel is fair. And the 'normal' ones get slighted just a bit. 

Once I was home I sat down for a bit before it was time for dance class. Millie was laying on the sofa half asleep when it was time to go. But by golly, we paid for these lessons so we are going even if she is tired. 

Cathy came over for a chat in the evening. Stuart had gone to rugby so we just caught up on our latest school issues and challenges. 

Because rugby is at 7 pm and Stuart doesn't want to chuck up his supper on the pitch, we typically don't eat until he is back from rugby. We usually do something simple. But for some reason I felt the need for honey mustard chicken, green beans and boiled potatoes, all of which take special timing In order to have them ready at relatively the same time. Dinner was not made until after 9. It was a late eating time, but oh so yummy. Cathy didn't leave until after 10 pm, which is the marking of an excellent evening. 

Thursday at school all of our extra materials were finally picked up by another school who had arranged their own truck to pick up the boxes. There must have been at least 100 boxes all full of materials they needed the first week of school. Some of those things had been in our school for well over 8 months. There are so many materials given to some schools and some get totally slighted. I don't think it's pirposeful, I think it's the lack of organization and awareness. I pretty much worked with the guys taking the boxes away, all afternoon. And they were going to have to come back Sunday to get the remaining box. 

Once I was home from school, the Rouvis popped over for a cuppa. She brought snacks, like she always does, and we had a good catch up. 

That evening we went to a party at Sean's, the captain of Stuart's rugby team and the chairman of the rugby club.  He had just moved three days prior and decided to have a housewarming. Makes sense!  More wives showed up to this particular party, so there were people I actually knew. We stayed until just after 11 pm. I was so thankful I have showered the kids before we went to the party. So of course, all jammied up on the way home, the kids fell sound asleep within about 2 minute of being in the car. That's all well and good until you consider that someone has to carry Jack up to his room.
Stuart's old Educational Advisor, Leanne, is Stuart's coach's wife. What a great party!

Friday morning I got to the club and had a swim. Clare met me there and swam as well. She swims rather quickly and laps me on a regular basis. Once I had completed my 50 laps I headed home to get ready for church. 
Millie wore the dress May gave her for her birthday. Doesn't she look thrilled?

Once the sermon was over we took communion. Jack asked about why he didn't get to taking communion. I told him that communion was for people who had made a decision to invite Jesus into their heart and to do their best, with God's help, to live for Him. I told him the bread represented Jesus's body which he gave for us and the wine represented His blood that he shed for our sins. Then Jack said, 'So can I have it when I'm 7?' I said, 'Well, when you know that you have invited Jesus to live in your heart, that's when you can take communion'. He replied, without missing a beat, 'Oh, I've already done that.' So without much hesitation I said, 'Well, then, when you turn 7, I guess you can take communion. I thought he was going to jump out of his seat. When Stuart and I discussed it later I stated that there was no way we could be the judge of whether he had or hadn't invited Jesus to live in his heart. We would just have to believe and trust that he had. He seemed to totally understand everything I said. Since his birthday is next Tuesday, I guess next Friday will be his big day at church. 

After church we went to the mall for lunch and grocery shopping. We then spent the rest of the afternoon at home. We really did a whole lot of nothing on Friday. The kids had an early night and Stuart and I ate a late supper and then he retired to bed. But me? Well it seems that a new series has caught my attention. So I may have stayed up until after 4 am watching it, only to get up Saturday morning at 7 am to make cream cheese chocolate monkey bread for Stuart to take to Scott's for beakfast. 

Stuart and Scott had decided they would not watch the England rugby World
Cup match late Friday night, but instead would have a breakfast together with the boys and watch the recorded version.  All this while Millie and I met Gina at IKEA in Abu Dhabi. 
Yummy monkey bread!

Gina had flown in from Saudi on Friday afternoon, stayed in Abu Dhabi Friday night and hen caught a ride from my old vice principal who is also a friend of Gina's. Her name is Rania and I know I have mentioned her before. 

We shopped at IKEA. Luckily I knew I had some things I needed to buy and they had most of the items. We were going to have lunch there but instead we just got Millie a cup of ice cream before heading to Ace Hardware, just next door. I had to return some things for Stuart so he could install our top load washer and sell our front load washer so I can get a dish washer. It's all very complicated. And naturally if your husband takes a picture of the item that needs a bolt or fixture of some sort, it would only make good sense to show that picture to someone who works in Ace Hardware. Or you could just act like you know what you're doing, not show the picture, and get the completely wrong thing to help with the instillation. I did the latter, which clearly was not the right decision. 

Once we were home the kids bathed, we all had a beautiful lasagna with a Greek salad and new potatoes which Gina and I both gave Stuart crap for. Who serves potatoes with lasagna? Apparently the Brits do!

It was great to see Gina and spend time with her. We have three days of school and then a four day weekend next week. Such fun!

2 comments:

  1. Great post.thanks for the shared with us. web design web

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya, I am really glad I’ve found this info. Today bloggers publish only about gossip and web stuff and this is really annoying. A good site with interesting content, this is what I need. Thanks for making this site, and I will be visiting again. Do you do newsletters by email?
    duvet set super king

    ReplyDelete