Sunday, September 27, 2015

School is back in session, but it's not that evident in our boys' classes

Sunday there were maybe half the number of kids at school that are usually there. It seems that the Eid holiday continued for some of the students. Gina texted me from Abu Dhabi on Sunday and informed me her school had been given the rest of the week off. So she got two weeks for Eid. Hello! 

I received a text on Saturday afternoon telling me Millie's class was having pirate day and she needed to dress as a pirate for Sunday. Although I was irritated and expressed that to her teacher, she did look dang cute and she had a great day. 
My cute little pirate!

Sunday evening it was rugby practice and swimming for me, as usual. We have tried to start feeding the kids their hot meal around 4 pm and then once they are home from rugby, they shower and can have a bowl of cereal or a pbj sandwich before bed, basically just a snack. It seems to get them into bed earlier than what we used to do, which is good for them. 

I fell asleep on the sofa at half past eight. It must be that swimming that is wearing me out, although work is tougher this year as well, so could be both. 

Monday Stuart and I had a training on our math series. We took my car for a service and dropped it off on our way to the training. It turns out the training was very similar to last year. It's a bit sad because most of us have been trained in differentiated instruction and really don't need generic training. We want to learn about the many new math manipulative a we received and how they relate to the math series. Oh well, I suppose we will have to rely on ourselves for that training. 

Once the kids were home and Jack had completed his piano theory practice, which we both dread, obviously because we wait until the last possible moment to do it before the next piano lesson, we headed to Kia service to get my car. I was so excited because since my car had 10,000 kilometers on it, I have asked them to repair the USB port that doesn't work, so that I could use my iPod correctly. Apparently, according to the lady on the phone, it was fixed. 

When we arrived at Kia I signed off on the paperwork and headed to my car with Jack because we had to head straight to piano lessons. Once I was in the car, the lady who signed off on my papers was standing by my car telling me that although they repaired the USB port, clearly there was an issue with my cord. I started getting audibly aggravated with her and told her that I was tired of asking for a repair to be made and getting no where. She said she would get the technician to explain things to me. She went back inside and I followed her. As she was speaking to what I assumed was the manager, I started in on him. There was an alternative chord in my USB port that was not there before. He tried to convince me that this was the chord I needed to use my iPod. It was an iPod attachment from about 8 years ago. They don't even make such an iPod anymore and didn't at the time I bought my brand new car two years ago, which I explained to him in a very forceful manner. He kept talking over me and telling me that I didn't understand. I insisted he wasn't listening to me. He was lying and making things up right and left. There are people who want to save face so badly that they try to convince you that, in fact, you are in the wrong. I find a lot of those people here, in the service industry. It's crazy and I was having none of it today. I have it back to him to the point I walked out, proclaiming he would never have any of my business again. Did I mention Stuart was still sitting at this gentleman's desk all the while? He had gone in to see how much his next service would be for his car. For
Some reason Kia has convinced people they need a 5000 kilometer service up to 40,000 km in order to guarantee the warranty, although we can't find anything about it in the owner's manual. When he was inquiring about this, the guy that tried to convince me I had a bad cord for my iPod told Stuart that he didn't need to get his service at Kia to make the water to good. So basically we could have gone anywhere up to now and everything would have been covered as long as we had receipts. The only problem is, we have t really known where to go until now. Car repair and maintenance places seem to be hidden from the general public. However, since we have had the Land Rover we have found a mechanic. So, bye bye Kia servicing. 

Tuesday Millie came home from school and reported that she had a very good day. 

Millie: Mama, I got two stickers today and they were pink and they went on my chart and there were 5 stickers on the bottom and I got those too. (Never once did she come up for air.)

Me: Wow, Millie! That's wonderful. Do you have very good days and get stickers everyday, or just today. 

Millie: No, no, just today. 

So when Stuart got home I told him he needed to ask her about her day. 

Stuart: Millie, how was your day?

Millie: Good, Daddy. I got two stickers and they were pink and there was a row of 5 on the bottom and I got those too. 

Stuart: That's great, Millie. Do you get two stickers everyday. 

Millie: No, no, just today. 

I thought after my conversation she maybe didn't understand my line of questioning. But no doubt, after two of us asking her, she only had a good day that day. She's cute, thank goodness. 

Tuesday evening we went to the rugby club for Jack's training and of course I swam. Normally I have to contend with Taunami Sam or Tidal Wave Ted, both swimmers make waves that only their name sake could produce. But Tuesday I hurried up and did only 40 laps because there were little kids who were not being supervised by their mother. Two of the four children could not swim. Needless to say it was a bit concerning. After I finished swimming I went to tell the guy on pool duty and he finally went to say something to the mother. Dreadful!

We dismissed students on Wednesday at 10:30 am in order for us to have our Meet and Greet, which I suppose is a bit like curriculum night, except not at night? The parents were invited to attend a general meeting at 11 am in the auditorium and then were allowed to go and visit the teachers in the classrooms. Teachers were to stay until 2:30 pm. I heard many voices outside of my office at 1:30 pm but didn't give it a second thought, until I looked out my window at the parking lot about 10 minutes later and noticed that mine was one of 3 cars still there. We usually have about 35 or 40 cars in the lot. I suppose I forgot that 2:30 pm really means 1:30 pm. I guess that 'noise' was everyone in the reception area, signing out. 

When I got home the kids were already there with Kayleigh. She left and Jack went up to practice his piano, while Millie played in her room. 

Once Stuart got home he asked Millie how her day was. She looked as if she was going to cry. She puckered up her lip and just sat there. Stuart asked if she was okay and if everything was okay at school that day. She said, 'No, Abbey wasn't at school today.'  Now Abbey is her bestest friend and it may not have been the best idea for them to be in the same class. I think they might be a little wild together. I've seen them play at the rugby club, and it's just my guess. 

Wondering if Millie was telling the truth, and wanting to share the story with Abbey's mom and dad because they always share funny stories Abbey tells involving Millie, I messaged them the story. After relaying the story I stated that if Abbey was sick, we hoped she got better soon. And if Millie made this up, then I surely had an academy award winner on my hands. Her dad messaged me back and said 'And the Emmy goes to.....Millie. Abbey was at school and feels perfectly fine. Ha!'  She is a stinker!

When it was time for dance Millie would not put on her tutu and announced she was not going. I told her if she didn't get her tutu on I would not sign her up for ballet for the second term. To that she responded, 'I don't care!' Well that wasn't exactly what I was looking for. I dragged her to the car, screaming. I strapped her in and off we went. Once we arrived she decided she did want to go to ballet after all. Funny thing is, we arrived 20 minutes early. For some reason I had it in my head that she started at 5 instead of 5:15. Jack has piano at 4, so maybe I was making her have ballet on the hour as well. My brain isn't right! 

After dance we rushed home to bathe her and then the all anticipated birthday dinner for Jack was finally upon us. We had promised him sushi and he looked forward to it all day. Sushi night was definitely a bit hit. I thought he was going to pop, he ate so much. 
The happy belated birthday meal was a success. 

Although we had dismissed our students early from school on Wednesday for the meet and greet, we still had a full house on Thursday. Generally when there is a half day toward the end of the week, the following day has low attendance. It seems the old trends are changing, which means progress. We had several teachers put which meant I had to cover a grade 5 boy's class. It wasn't so bad but I did dread it since it was the last period of the last day of the week. It turned out to be okay. I showed a Magic School Bus video, which they complained about. I stopped the video and told them I could give them an exam
Instead. That shut them up and the video continued. 

Thursday evening we were invited to the 'B' block of the Village (our compound). There are two families that live right next door to each other and we know them both. Jane and Bryce have three boys and Kirsty and James have two girls. Jane is a Head of Faculty, and James and Kirsty came with our group two years ago. 

We took the kids and some snacks and headed to the other side of the complex. The kids had a blast. Jack played the PlayStation and Millie played dollies. Millie fell asleep on the sofa and Jack stayed strong until I told him it was time to go home. It was late and he was tired. It was a new experience, socializing with these two families and some other people, and it was great except for the leaving part. 

Friday morning we were up and out of the house just before 9 am. Stuart and the kids went to the pool with the other rugby dads and kids, while the wives and girlfriends were treated to breakfast at Steak and Bake, a new restaurant owned by a guy who came with our group. It just opened a few weeks ago. They serve an American breakfast buffet on Fridays and Saturdays. Because I'm trying to lose weight I just had coffee, but the social time was worth going. 
Um, where are the kids, Stuart?

My time was cut short because I had to go to church to let our new minister know what time I would be at the rugby club, and to give him directions. We were asked a few weeks ago to sign up to take Father Chris and his wife, Heather, and show them around Al Ain. The only thing I could offer was the rugby club. And since there was a match Friday, it was perfect. 

While speaking to Chris and Heather, it dawned on me that he thought we were going to watch the Rugby World Cup on television somewhere. When I told him we were actually going to watch rugby live he was excited. 

On the way home from church I stopped to get the kids lunch and do a bit of grocery shopping. Once I was home I puddles around the house, making beds and washing dishes. We left for the club around 3 pm. 

Jack was asked to be the ball boy, which he was a bit nervous about. The other little boy who typically is a ball boy was at a birthday party and wasn't going to be at the game. I'm not sure the 'job' was what he had expected, but he looked cute. 
Millie insisted wearing a hat as well. 
He ran out on the field with the team and sat on the sidelines. One time I looked over and he was laying down with his feet in the air, not even having a clue what was going on with the match. I'm not sure he knew his responsibilities, nor cared. 
A father and his son, both living for rugby at the moment. 

Father Chris and Heather showed up just before 5 pm and stayed until around 8 pm. I think they had a wonderful time. They met a ton of people and all of our friends were very welcoming and kind to them. 
Here they are looking very jovial. They are very nice people. 

Stuart got kicked in the shin at the beginning of the match which caused some limping after the match. Rugby is now in full swing, let the bruises begin. 
We left just after 9 pm. Jack hadn't eaten anything, but Millie ate all her chicken nuggets and French fries, so I was surprised she wanted something to eat when we got home. Normally the kitchen is closed once we get home. But, since Jack didn't even order any food and Millie ate all of her food, Stuart fixed them sandwiches while I hosed them off. While they ate, I showered. Once my shower was finished I came downstairs and found Millie asleep on the sofa. I took her upstairs and put her in bed, then came back for Jack. He went upstairs and by the time I got up there he was nearly asleep. 

I set my alarm to go swim Saturday morning, but woke up with a headache so decided to not swim. Jack and Millie woke up not feeling so hot either, therefore I suspected a bug was coming down on us. The kids just laid around most of the day and didn't really ask to go anywhere, which made me know they were under the weather. It was fine with me because I wasn't 100% either. 

Around 3 pm they decided to go upstairs and build a fort with their duvets and the pillows on the sectional. 
I fixed fish and chips around 4:30 pm and once they had eaten Millie started crying and saying she felt like she was going to throw up. We went into the bathroom but nothing happened. Once she had her night gown on she curled up on my lap and went to sleep. It was 5:15 pm. Exhausted, me thinks!
You can see the sun shining into our lounge. 

Stuart and I rented the movie Spy and chilled for the rest of the evening. It was a great Saturday for sure. 








2 comments:

  1. I must say, I thought this was a pretty interesting read when it comes to this topic. Liked the material. . .
    Cigarette Suppliers

    ReplyDelete