Monday, October 5, 2015

New appliances are so exciting at my age

Sunday Stuart finally hooked up our top load washing machine, therefore I was able to list our front load washer on Al Ain Swap and Shop and sold it within 2 minutes. I am so exicited because now I can go get a dish washer. How have I lived washing dishes by hand for the past 2 years? It's been tough for sure. After this purchase, all modern conveniences will be in place. 

Monday I went to look for dishwashers after school but the sale was no longer. It was supposed to go until October 7. But did I read the astric at the bottom of the sale sign? No I did not. It read 'while stock lasts', and although they had the machines and they were back at regular price, apparently 'the stock didn't last'. As I was confused, I tried arguing that I was told the sale was until the 7th. When he explained, I huffed off and said I would buy my new dishwasher somewhere else. The rules change on a daily basis it seems. 

I went home and Jack practiced piano one last time before his lesson. Because Stuart  had a committee meeting at the rugby club at 5 pm, and then training after, Millie had to go with us. That was fun. After the longest 30 minutes of our lives, we stopped at McDonalds to get Jack and Millie dinner. 

Once the kids were fed they both got clean. Millie laid on the sofa and fell asleep, as is common for her, around 6:15 pm. I took her to bed and asked Jack if he wanted to read books. He said he did, so he cut off the television and headed upstairs with me. I'm so glad my kids love to be read to at bedtime. It is one thing we have done consistantly with them since they were infants. I guess it's the teachers in us that know how vital it is for them. 

Tuesday Stuart and I went to training for our reading series. Because we didn't have to be there until 8:30 am we decided to take the kids to school and stay for their morning assembly. Both kids sang out the school song and the UAE national anthem, and Jack was the student the principal called on to tell the other students what the day, date, month and year was. I was a proud mama for sure. 

Our training was very similar to the reading training we had last year. So what did I do for over an hour of it? I caught up on this blog. Time well spent for sure. 

After the relatively useless training, Stuart headed to a meeting with one of the Cluster Managers regarding being in charge of the math, science and spelling competitions for this year, and I headed to another mall to find my dishwasher. I was very successful. I got a Kenwood and it was about $60 cheaper than the one I wanted at the other store. I was told it would be delivered by Friday. 

Wednesday was a successful day at school and at home. Our cluster manager came in to see how we were doing and we only reported good things. Don't get me wrong, we still have loads of frustrations and battles to win, but compared to last year, we are living the dream. 

At home, the victory was Millie's enthusiasm for brushing her teeth. It's a typical battle every day. But look what happens when you buy your kid an electric toothbrush!
I think on Wednesday alone she brushed her teeth 4 times. Knock yourself out, Mills!

Another success at home was when it was time to go to bed. Tonight marks a week that I have sang Millie a song, cuddled her for a bit, and then left the room before she is asleep. I know this is a long time coming, but when your little girl doesn't even weigh 25 pounds and is just over 3 feet tall, you forget she is older than what she looks. Plus, I love rocking her to sleep and singing her songs. But it's beyond time and I think we may have crossed over into new territory with her. Thank goodness!

Because of the rugby World Cup game, Stuart had practice an hour early. So Jack could have gone to sit with me while Millie danced or gone with his dad to rugby. Which do you think he chose? They got home just before 8 pm and I had made spaghetti bolognaise. We all ate and sat down to watch South Africa kill the USA. Jack asked me why the USA was so bad at rugby. I told him it was because we were a basketball and American football country and that since we have all the world champions in those sports, we don't need rugby. He didn't get it. He can't understand why everyone doesn't love rugby. 

He turned over about halfway through the match and started to go to sleep, so up to bed he went. I followed him even though it was only 9:15 pm. I was awakened by Jack screaming around 1 am. It was one of those things where the scream was incorporated into my own dream. By the time I got to him, he was crying. Poor boy! Fortunately he went right back to sleep. 

Thursday after school I got a call that the dishwasher was being delivered. Two and a half hours later it actually showed up. Better late than never. After the dishwasher was installed, we headed down to Karen and Wade's. Stuart and Millie stayed for curry and Jack and I headed to the golf club for a birthday party with one of his rugby teammates. I ended up staying. This boy's mom hangs with a different crowd so I pretty much sat on my own for the entire two hours. There was a bouncy castle, driving range, and face painting. I NEVER let my
Kids get face paint, so when I saw Jack about halfway through this particular design, I nearly had a cow. Seriously, could you get something that would be harder to get off your face?
Mid design. 
The finished product. 
And after playing for an hour, sweating on the bouncy castle. 

We returned to the Richardson's for a little bit and then headed home for showers. We had to wash that paint off of Jack's face. 

Friday morning we were up early because Millie came into our room sounding like a frog. She had the beginnings of an upper respiratory infection. We broke out the nebulizer just to prevent it getting worst. Poor baby!

We skyped Grammie and Pop, and they just laughed at the kids. Are we the only ones whose kids act like maniacs when speaking on skype? I certainly hope not. 

I left the house around 9:30 am to go with some girls to Dubai for the bimonthly Arte show. I purchased some camels. This is my favorite one!
I enjoy going to see the artists who have decided to take up their craft in the UAE. 

We had lunch and then stopped at the Park and Shop before heading home to pick up the kids and go to a party for Octoberfest. 

Stuart had left around midday to go to Abu Dhabi for his rugby match. Kayleigh came to stay with the kids until we returned from Dubai. Stuart's team got smashed and he got kicked in the eye. Lovely! Fortunately he didn't get a black eye from it. 

The Octoberfest party was fun. Jack and Millie made a new friend named Ben. He is Scottish, so we have added to our international friend group. Jack is going to have a play date soon with Ben. Ben's mom is a Vice Principal for ADEC. They have been in the country for 7 years, so know all the ropes for sure. 

We left the party around 11 pm. The kids were sandy and sweaty so they needed to stay awake until we got home so they could have a shower. Fortunately my phone still had battery juice so they could look at pictures. 

Baths were not fun because the kids were so exhausted. I muscled through it and put them to bed. Stuart was already in bed when we got home and didn't even wake up during the skuttle butt of the showers. At last the kids were in bed and I showered and went to bed as well. 

I got up Saturday morning and went swimming. We didn't have much on the agenda so once I was home I had coffee, three cups in fact, and lounged around until Jack's friend Koen came over for a play date. He lives in the B block of our compound. He's such a nice boy. His mom is also a Head of Faculty. He stayed for a couple of hours and then Jack went with his family to the pool. It was a perfect trade off. I love this play date thing. 

Stuart, Millie and I just sat around for the afternoon and watched television. Around 4 pm the Richardsons popped over for dinner. Stuart made enough spaghetti for 6 families. I guess we know what's on the menu for the next few days. Clare, Scott and the kids stayed until just before 8 pm and watched the Scotland vs Samoa match. Rugby has definitely taken over our lives these last few weeks. All too soon the kid tournaments will start. 

Still loving life in the UAE!
 





No comments:

Post a Comment