Sunday, October 11, 2015

Ooooo, another day off for a holiday

Everyone waited to hear when the Islamic New Year would be celebrated. On Sunday it was announced that the public sector would have off Thursday the 15th. So we would have a three day weekend. Fantastic!

I went to school on Sunday knowing that Millie was still raspy. We gave her a breathing treatment and sent her off to school. When I got home from school I decided to go swimming. Usually I go during Jack's rugby practice and Millie plays on the field. I decided if I got my swimming out of the way, Millie could have an early night and not go to practice with Jack. So Millie and I were showered and in our jammies at 4:15 pm. There's nothing wrong with that! She was asleep by 6 pm. Jack came home and wanted a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, a bowl
of spaghetti and a cup of grapes. He's a growing boy for sure. 

School is never a dull moment.  And just when I think I have nothing interesting to write in this blog, something shows up, literally. Monday a student had diarrhea in a classroom. I am not sure how he managed to be so clean about it. He left a small liquidy puddle between two chairs at the back of the classroom. There was no trail, no footprints around, and no other evidence other than the pile on the floor. It was as if he pulled down his pants, steadied himself between the two chairs, pulled up his feet and took a crap. I am not lying!  One of the cleaners came in and tried to explain to me what had happened. She was a little panicked and only speaks Arabic. So of course I had to have her show me what she was talking about. I nearly barfed when she brought me into the room. I tried to see if we had any of those soaking up sand-like pellets and finally our lead cleaner came to the rescue. Did I really get a masters degree for this?  I suppose I did.

Monday evening was filled with piano lessons, fish and chips and an early night. Millie was feeling better, but still fell asleep on the sofa just after 6 pm. Jack chose to stay up about 20 minutes later and forego books, which was fine with me. After the kids were in bed I set off on season 9 of the Real Housewives of Orange County. Now, even I would qualify this show as trash. But it's like a train wreck, I can't stop watching now. 

Millie's teacher is really good about sending pictures of the kids. On Monday evening I got the picture below. You can see Millie is learning her letters. I think she's behind, but Jack had such a phenomenal start with Miss Robin and then with my mom, it's probably not fair to compare. She will get it. She loves school which is the most important part. 
Tuesday I was actually a little bored at school. I started working on making readers, so that helped, and then I had to remove a student who stabbed, no joke, another student with a pencil. 

Once I was out of 'paradise' I gathered my things at home in order to take a shower at the club after I swam. Clare and I had planned to get a pedicure after our time in the pool. Swimming was a bit belabored. Sometimes I feel as if I am sinking, but I forge on. 

Once I was showered and in the club, it was evident that the Islamic New Year was actually approaching on Wednesday, although we were being given the Thursday off from school. The reason I knew it was the new year was because the sheets were covering the beer taps at the bar and no booze was being sold. From sundown until sunup there is no alcohol to be sold on an official Islamic holiday. In fact, the opening times for the liquor store during Ramadan is 8 am to 3 pm. They are not allowed to be open after dark. Interesting, I think. 

We went down to sit with Scott outside the club and he had about 8 beers in front of him. Apparently he hit the bar just before it closed. You got to do what you got to do. 

My pedicure was wonderful, but ticklish as usual. Clare and I had time to just chat and relax. Relaxing seems to be my favorite pastime. 

Once I was home I had some veggies and sat down for brainless television. My life has been reduced to rugby and trash television. I seem to be coping quite well. 

Wednesday was the Islamic new year and our boys had a presentation. They really are adorable in their kandoras, but stinky naughty way too often. 
Wednesday I went grocery shopping after school. On the way home from dance I started asking Millie about school and the kids in her class.  She started telling me about all the naughty kids in her class and why they get into trouble. I waited for her to tell me about her behavior, but she never mentioned anything. Therefore, I can only assume she is an angel all the time. Once we were home from dance, the kids and I took Stuart to rugby club before heading down to Scott and Clare's for supper. Once the guys were finished they came down and ate what was left. 

Thursday, since we didn't have school, I got up and went swimming. Although I am very excited about the Mina Mile swim in Dubai next month, the same exercise gets boring after a while. I find myself playing games with myself to get through the laps. Forty five more pounds and I can go see Dr. Barry, my orthopedic doctor. I must prevail. 

After my swim we started preparing for our Meat Fest Fall 2015 event. We invited several friends over for a BBQ. It seems whenever the New Zealanders are involved there is not a veggie to be found, only meat. Stuart went to the grocery store for the final touches, marinated the wings, and made the potato salad. 

Jack went swimming with the Richardsons and Millie and I stayed at home to play games. It was our special time together, which I love so much. 
Snakes and ladders was amongst the games we played. We didn't ever really finish a game, mainly because her attention span is a bit short. But we did have fun together. 

We met the Richardsons at the club around lunchtime. We had a delightful lunch and a few beers. We then headed out separate ways until the evening. 

The Meat Fest began around 5:30 pm. We had a houseful with a lot of meat. It was great! The guests were all gone by 11:30 pm and the kids went straight to bed. I figured I would wash their sheets Friday morning anyway so I didn't really care that they were laying, dirty, in their sheets all night. 

Friday morning we went to church. We were on our way to Bawadi Mall and I got a text from Stuart telling me to call Clare and Scott as soon as I could. Scott and Clare were planning to go spend the night in Dubai without their kids. Scott's birthday was Saturday and Clare's best friend was celebrating her 40th birthday on Friday. They had everything planned and booked. Henry and May were supposed to stay with some friends, but it seems one of the children came down with a bug and they didn't want Henry or May to get ill so that left Scott and Clare in a bind. When I called Clare she said we didn't have to take the kids, she would understand, but that would be just silly. 

I went on to the mall and then to the grocery store. On my way home I called and told them I would be home in 15 minutes so they could drop off Henry and May. Stuart left for Dubai just after 1 pm for his rugby match. The kids played in the neighborhood all afternoon. I made mummie dogs for dinner, the kids watched a movie, and then it was off to bed. Just before they went to bed Cathy, Mandy and Kayleigh showed up to eat some of the leftovers from the night before.
Mom of the Year with these little wonders. 

Stuart got home just after 10 pm with a bit of a lump on his head. He was fortunate that his head didn't split open. 
Hello egg head!

Saturday morning I was awaken by Jack and May asking what was for breakfast. Really? I told them they could get some cereal off the bottom shelf of the pantry. They didn't do so, but by that time Stuart was up fixing cinnamon rolls, which they all enjoyed. 

They spent the rest of the morning playing with neighborhood friends. We had a delightful lunch of chicken rolls and then there was more Wii playing. Millie and May played in Millie's room while the boys played the Wii. 

Scott called just after noon to tell us they were at IKEA and would call us when they were about a half hour away from Al Ain. We all decided we would just meet at the pool once they were back in town. We spent a couple of hours at the pool and then went to the Richardsons for curry. We started watching the Rugby quarter finals, but the kids were falling asleep so we headed home and put them to bed. 

We had another fabulous weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment