Sunday, October 25, 2015

The British are coming...or a Brit and one Aussie

The kids were up at 5 am to see their costumes that I had bought the day before. Naturally they had to try them on. Both kids were really pleased. 
The pool was closed on Sunday so there was no swimming for me, which I didn't really mind. Instead I sat outside and chatted with Scott while the kids practiced rugby. We let the kids play for a bit after practice. Once we were home, I showered the kids while Stuart tried to sort out why our new BBQ grill had not been delivered. We had called earlier in the day and they had confirmed we would have it delivered to us by that evening. When he called around 7 pm he was told that no more deliveries were coming out that evening. Ugh! 

Once the kids were in bed we watched the rugby match between Argentina and Australia. Since Australia won, the finals on Halloween evening will see the Australians facing the New Zealanders.

Monday our Cluster Manager came to our school to see how we were doing. He was impressed with the progress that has been made and that the boys' behavior was so much better than last year.  There is another story here, but you will have to private message me to get it. I am sure by the time this publishes it will work itself out and not be a very big deal, but on Monday it was a big deal to me. 

Monday after Jack's piano lessons, he informed me he has a performance on Thursday at 4:30 pm. There is no forward planning by anyone. Sadly he would not be able to attend because we would be in Dubai on that day with Grandma and Uncle James. He said he was disappointed but he understood. 

We headed to Carrefore after piano lessons because the grill had still not been delivered even though it was written on the receipt to be delivered on Sunday the 25th. I think things that are written here are really more of a suggestion than a commitment. 

Once we arrived at the service counter of Carrefore I began to investigate why my grill had not been delivered. The first thing I did was go to where it was sitting and make sure it was taken from its spot and not still for sale, since it was marked as the 'last piece'. Fortunately, for them of course, they had done the right thing and removed it from the sale floor. Unfortunately, for them of course, they had not delivered it to me in the timely manner they had promised. In stepped 'American Dana', a little forceful and unbending. It only took an hour to convince them that it would be delivered on Tuesday between 3 and 4 pm, and not 'inshallah' (God willing). 

Once home from Carrefore on Monday night I decided I needed a workout because I wasn't able to swim on Sunday evening, and I knew I would only have one more exercise day before Grandma and Uncle James arrived on Wednesday. So we arranged for Kayleigh to come and stay with the kids so I could go to the club with Stuart and work out at the gym, bike only, while he trained. When we got ready to leave the kids fell apart. It seems that everyone felt the stress of my terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day. 

As I was riding the bike at the club and having a mere pity party of my day, I got lovely 'suck it up' texts from some friends here who knew of my sucky day. So an hour on the bike and some refocusing, and I was OVER IT!  Whew!

After Stuart was finished with practice, he sat and had a beer. We got home just after 9 pm and were so tired we decided to just shower and go to bed. There was no dinner for us. 

Tuesday brought more of the same and me making nice with the person who irritated me the day before. I did what I should, although I didn't want to, and it made life easier for me. Our grade 4 boys were terrible at school on Tuesday. Of course our weakest teachers are in grade 4, which is a contributing factor for sure. But school was over just after 1 pm, as it always is, and all was better. 

Jack had rugby Tuesday evening and the pool was open so I went to swim. We didn't hang around long after because we had some tidying up to do before Uncle James and Grandma arrived on Wednesday. The kids did their normal routine and were in bed by 7:30 pm. I cleaned the stove top and the counter tops in the kitchen. Asela doesn't do 'detail' so once in a while I actually do have to wipe down a counter or clean the stove. I also de-cluttered a bit on the kitchen counters and the computer table in the living room. By the time I was finished it was 10 pm. I stayed downstairs for a bit and watched some television, falling asleep on the sofa as usual. 

We got up Wednesday morning and bustled around to get the last minute things done before the guests arrived. We put Jack's sheets in the wash because Uncle James was staying in Jack's room, I folded some clothes that had been dried the night before, and then we carried on with our normal morning routines. 

School was great because once I arrived I realized I had left my phone at home on the kitchen counter. Needless to say it was a very quiet day for me, which I did not mind at all. After school I led professional development about structured reading programs. I have tried to have give aways and practical examples of different learning centers and games the teachers can use while meeting with small groups. I found, as a teacher, if someone didn't show me how to do something, I wouldn't do it. I also give away the games I make. The teachers seem to like it. 

Stuart actually left work early on Wednesday to meet his mum and James at the house. They were then off to the golf course. The played nine holes and were home before I got there around 3:30. 

By the time dance rolled around, Millie was not interested in going, but once again I reminded her that we had paid a lot of money for her to go so she had to attend until the end of December. Thrilled, she was not. But the show must go on. When we got back from dance we all headed to the rugby club to watch Stuart practice. He finished early and then we were off to the all you can eat sushi night at Shooters to celebrate Kayleigh's birthday. She turned 18 on Wednesday. It was a late night for the kids, but since Uncle James and Grandma don't come to visit every day, we felt they could handle it. 

On Thursday Stuart and I took an emergency day in order to go to Dubai and up the Burj Khalifa with Karen and James. We also shopped around the mall, visited the aquarium and ate at the Cheesecake Factory, naturally. 
This was our attempt at taking a selfie with the Burj Khalifa above us. Sadly the sun killed the view of the building. 
View from the top. 

After the mall, we decided to go out to the Palm Jumeriah, which is where the Atlantis resort is. We went past the resort and ran into another quaint little resort called Anantara. We went to the Beach Bar and had a drink while the kids had ice cream. James checked into how much it would cost to stay for one night. It was a small fortune and totally out of our budget, but the time we spent there was very tranquil and lovely. 
The Burj Al Arab is in the distance to the right of Stuart. 
The most expensive ice cream ever. 
Jack did the drawings and wrote the names. 

We returned to Al Ain, the kids had slept most of the way home, I bathed them both through tears and belly aching, and we ordered some food from the Curry House. It was a busy, hectic, fun day. 

We got up Friday morning and headed to the Sunflower Halloween party. The kids were very excited for sure. Grandma and Uncle James were able to see the sweet little community school where Jack and Millie attend. It was great for the kids to have them there. 
We went to the mall to eat at Lebanese Flower. Prior to eating we went to the cake decorating store as well as Starbucks. The kids had hot chocolate while I enjoyed the seasonal pumpkin spice latte. Yum!
We went to the pool at the same time Stuart had to be at the club to get ready for his match. The pool was too cold for me so I just chatted at the side while the kids enjoyed the water for a bit. When I went to get dressed I tripped on the step going into the changing room. I landed on my knees, bruising and cutting my toe. I was holding onto the door, fortunately, but later would feel the pain of that decision. 

We went up to watch the match, which was a good one even though Stuart's team didn't win. Stuart had a great game and played his heart out. He was so excited for his brother and mum to be here and watching him. 
Once we were back home we waited for Uncle James' driver to pick him up to go to the airport. It was a short visit from him, but a good one. Hopefully, he and his entire family can come back very soon. 

Saturday morning we collected cars from the rugby club, prepared food for the Halloween celebration taking place at the Village, went to the grocery store and carved pumpkins. 
Jack's pumpkin. 
Millie's pumpkin. Both kids lost interest in the digging out of the guts. That became my job. Ick!
Cupcakes are always a hit. 
Our own baking crew. 

Grandma made dinosaur cakes with the kids, which might have turned into triffle because the cake molds didn't really work out,  and I tried to sort out a pinched nerve in my shoulder blade, which after a line of questioning, Grandma figured out that my fall going into the changing room the previous night was the culprit. I was having severe muscle spasms. They took my breath away and gave me a massive headache. I could not find relief no matter what I did. 

I laid down for about an hour while Stuart got the finishing touches on the chili and setting up the outside area for the people we had invited over. 

Trick or treating started around 6 pm. I sat outside and passed out candy while Kayleigh took the kids around and Stuart tended to the food. I could hardly breath at times. It was unbearable. Once the festivities were over and things were cleaned up, we sat down to watch the World Cup Finals. New Zealand won, as expected. I went to bed shortly after the match was over. I was sure I had a fever, but the show must go on and I was off to bed in order to start a new week. Hopefully it is not full of fever and back pain. 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment