Sunday, November 1, 2015

Rugby, quiz night, mosque, and Grandma!

As much as I hated to do so, I got up and went to work on Sunday. I had to because I had taken an emergency day on Thursday in order to go to Dubai. Whether I was in pain or sick, not a second day in a row would be excused. I was of no use at work, other than taking notes at the Senior Leadership Team meeting. I contemplated taking some time off and leaving early, but then just decided I would wait and see if swimming helped at all. 

After school we went to Bawadi Mall to look for things for the kids for Christmas. They both expressed to Grandma what they wanted and we decided we would go back later and buy the items when they weren't around. 

Some grocery shopping took place so that we could grill later in the week, and I fed the kids McDonalds before rugby practice. We were then on the road to the rugby club. Once we got there I put my foot in the pool and decided against swimming. Since my back was spasming anyway, I didn't need to add insult to injury, and surely a cold pool would do just that. Instead I went out with Grandma to watch Jack's practice. 

Once practice was finished we went home and bathed the kids. Then I headed to the emergency room for some relief with these crazy muscle spasms. I sat in the emergency room for the good part of an hour before being called into an examining room. I sat in the male waiting area, which I know confused people. 

After being examined I was told I would have a day off of work, which I did not argue with, I was given some muscle relaxers, and sent on my merry way. 

Once home, I was presented with a baked potato with chili on top, a variation of the meal the previous night. I took the medication with the food and laid on the sofa for a bit, before retiring upstairs for a shower and a good night's sleep. 

I was awaken by Stuart asking me if he should get the kids up since it was 6 am. My alarm did go off at 5 am, but clearly I ignored it. I popped out of bed, got dressed, and went downstairs to make lunches. I still was achy and felt a bit ill. Two cups of coffee later, and I felt a little more normal. 

The kids' driver came to get them just before 7 am. Once they were gone, I watched tv for about a half hour before grandma was awake. Once she was up and out in the living room, we made a move to get ready and head to the mall for some Christmas shopping. We might have bought some other things as well, but I have a selective memory when it comes to purchases. 

On our way back from the mall we stopped at the supermarket, LuLu's, to pick up a few bits and we looked at an acti-fry, which our friends and Karen rave about. We found one we liked and Karen was going to buy it for us as an early Christmas present. Well, wouldn't you know it? The three they had listed as being 'in stock' could not be located. So I left my number and told the salesman to give me a call when he found it. 

Once we left LuLu's we headed to Secret Spinneys (the liquor store), or as Karen called it 'Dirty Spinneys', which I think is a more appropriate name since it feels like you are going into a sex shop every time you enter the store. It's hidden away with no clear markings. It seems in an odd spit. Thus we now refer to it as Dirty Spinneys. When we got to the shop there was a local woman in the car next to us. Usually the locals just honk their horn and someone comes out to serve them, mainly because they are not supposed to be in the shop nor are they supposed to consume alcohol. But this woman was in full coverage and headed in behind us. You could hear her gasp as she realized she had walked into the booze shop instead of the flower shop next door. Poor dear! She was mortified, I'm sure. Karen got a big kick out of the entire experience. 

We still had one stop to make to buy potatoes. After we made our final stop we went by the house to drop off the groceries. Then, because we were both a bit peckish, I suggested we go to this local cafe just up the road from us. I had never been there but had heard great things about it. It's called 101 cafeteria, but I have no idea why. We walked in and on the televisions there were Yola dancers and Arabic singing. The cafe had about 4 other people sitting down, smoking sheesha. Authentic? Absolutely, and Karen and I both loved it. Stuart actually joined us once he got back from school. We each had a wrap, some manakesh, and hummus. The bill came to a whopping 49 dirhams. That is about $14 for all three of us to eat and be quite full. 

Once we were all back home, I took Jack to piano lessons and had a bit of time to sit and relax. That was really the purpose of my day off from school, but there was too much to be done and I wouldn't trade that day with Karen for anything. I really did get some wonderful in-laws, and I'm not saying that just because I know she will read this. Ha!

When we returned from piano lessons we packed up and headed to the zoo. I haven't been there in a while and had never been there at night. Boy do the animals come out at night. We got up close and personal with some of them. In fact, Millie and Jack stomped on the ground just outside of the hyena enclosure because he was digging under a rock and it looked as if he was going to come out on our side. When he heard their stomp he jumped back and looked around. Needless to say, we scooted out of there before he did escape. 
Mr. Lion walked back and forth about 15 times so getting this picture was actually quite easy. 
Monkey!
Grandma helped the kids feed the giraffe. 

Once we were home, it was night night time for the kids and we had dinner, retiring closely behind. 

Flag Day was Tuesday, Novemeber 3. I think the significance is that November 3 was the day the current President of the country, Sheikh Khalifa, was given his power and status in the country. The kids wear the colors of the flag and get into the formation of the flag. I'm not really sure of the value of this day, but not my country, not my worry. 
Everybody loves a party. 

After school I got the call that they had located the acti-fry. So we went to LuLus to get it. We were so excited because we were going to go home and use it that evening for dinner. We went to the rugby club for Jack's practice. I swam and was freezing my knee nads off. I asked the front desk when they would be hearing the pool and he told me the heaters were already on. No way is what I say. Hopefully it will be warmer next week. 

We fed the kids at the club, so they got to stay a bit longer at the club than normal. Once they were home and in bed, we had pork chops fixed on the barbie and acti fry veggies. Delightful!

Right after school we took Grandma to the top of Jebel Hafeet, the highest point in the emirate of Abu Dhabi. We looked around, had an ice cream and then headed back to the house to feed the kids and put them to bed. We had quiz night to get to at the rugby club. It was a blast and we won! We won a dinner for four at the club. We were very excited about our brain power. Actually it was mainly Stuart and Karen who answered the questions, but I'll take a free meal from it. 
The kids were hanging on the fence around the top of Jebel Hafeet. This may not be the safest activity up at the top. 
We won!

At school on Thursday I didn't feel well. I knew I had strep throat. I went to pharmacy after school to see if they still sold antibiotics over the counter.  They didn't, which was a bummer for me because I needed some right then and didn't have time to go to the doctor because we were leaving as soon as I got home. The pharmacist sold me some gargle and said it would do the trick. So I gargled, took some Tylenol and got in the car to go to Abu Dhabi. 

We took Grandma to the Grand Mosque. It was hot, but beautiful. Once again, it became night very shortly after we arrived. I had never seen the mosque at night, except from afar, and it was gorgeous. 
This is why you don't give your phone to your 7 year old and let him take pictures in the mosque. 
Just outside the mosque, in the courtyard area. 
The lighting was phenomenal. 
This is outside by the car park. 

Once we left the mosque we drove to the Premier Inn. When we arrived my throat was on fire. We ate supper at the restuarant at the hotel. We had to wait a while for our food, but we were too tired to go anywhere else and too tired to complain.  

We were in bed just after 10 pm. I tossed and turned until about. 3:30 am.  I had been in pain long enough. I woke Stuart up to tell him I was heading to the hospital to get some meds. I left the room, got to the hospital, and realized I had left my wallet in the snack bag. I had packed the bag before we went to bed in anticipation for the following morning. Super! I turned around, went back to the hotel, got my wallet and back to the hospital I went. Once the doctor saw me and I convinced her I had strep throat, she wrote me a prescription. I went to the 24 hour pharmacy but the system was down so the pharmacist couldn't see what my insurance would pay toward the meds. He said if I could come back at 6 am it would be fixed and there would be no problem. So I went back to the hotel and went back to sleep for about an hour. Our alarms were due to go off at half past six. Jack was awake at 6 am so I decided to get up and head back to the pharmacy. I told Jack to let Stuart know when he woke up that I went to get my medication and would be back in 15 minutes. I got my drugs and was back in time for breakfast. 

We spent the day at Sports Zayed Stadium. Jack's team didn't play very well, but he played really hard and scored 3 trys. He also pulled the most tags for the day and got Player of the Match in their last match. He was very pleased. 

We are afraid one day he will bite that tongue off if he doesn't pull it back in his mouth. 

We came back to hotel for a swim after the sweltering tournament. Stuart headed off to play for the 1st at the Abu Dhabi Golf Club just around 3 pm. I bought some food for the kids and then we headed up to get cleaned up and go watch Stuart play. 

Millie fell asleep on the way there, which meant we would be in for a long evening. They played well but got killed. He loves it whether they win or lose. 
Stuart is the one with the yellow head in the white shirt. They had on white shirts because someone brought their home jerseys which are black, like the other team's. So they had to turn theirs inside out. 

Stuart stayed after the match to eat and have a beer. We left and returned to a kerfuffle at the restaurant at the Premier Inn, where we were staying. We ended up feeding the kids scraps from what the wait staff just started putting on the tables after the shouting that we apparently missed. It was a mess from what we understand. They even ran out of beer and wine. How does that happen? Some of us complained and have sent emails to the company. There were people who didn't get served for 2 hours and there was no expiration. It might not have been the best customer service ever.  

We went to the room, ordered KFC and called it a night. 

We got up Saturday morning much later than the previous morning. We had the tournament on Friday, but many other age groups had it on Saturday. This is the advantage of having only one child who plays rugby. Although Millie has decided she wants to play next year. 

After breakfast we went up to the room to finish packing. We met in the lobby just after 10 am and headed to Heritage Village, a traditional area where craftsmen sell their wares. Jack and Millie were allowed to work on a carpet. 
We also got a picture with Grandma and the camel. He wasn't exactly happy and yelled us. 
Once we had sweat our butts off at Heritage Village we decided it was time for an IKEA run. We needed Jack's favorite jam and bin liners. There are some things I just HAVE to go to IKEA for. We dropped the kids off in the play area for almost an hour while we shopped. We told Jack this would probably be his last time in the play area because he has gotten too tall. He kind of scrunched his shoulders when he first went in to be shorter. Too funny!

Once we had exhausted ourselves at IKEA we needed some lunch. We went to Raha Beach and ate at the Irish pub, McGettigans. It's funny, at home I wouldn't typically have a beer, cider or wine with lunch. But come to a country where you can't freely order a beverage of this kind except if you are in a resort, and I WILL have one, please. 

I was the only one who napped on the way home from Abu Dhabi. Once we were home, we unpacked, got laundry started, put the kids to bed, listened to some music while sharing and downloading pictures, and went to bed around 9 pm. Exhausted! We had a great time with Grandma for sure. 




No comments:

Post a Comment