Sunday, November 8, 2015

Routines back in place make things a bit boring

We got up Sunday morning and I knew I had to start my 'cleanse' diet before the mile swim in less than 2 weeks. I really wish I could lose weight and keep it off, but this may be too lofty if a goal. I guess I will just keep plugging away at it. 

I obsessed over food all day at work, although I never even take anything to eat at school. But not having it makes you want it. Aside from the lack of caffeine and food, school was relatively quiet today. There are still a ton of improvements that need to be made, but we may have gone as far as we can go this year. We shall see. Small changes are better than no changes. 

Jack didn't have rugby training Sunday night so we had an early night. I went swimming right after school so I would get my swim in and not have to go later and freeze. After my swim I did a quick grocery shop and then got home just after Stuart returned from taking his mum to the airport. The kids were outside playing. They came in after a bit and sat playing with the sticker books Grandma bought for them. They bathed, ate and were in bed by 6:30 pm. I showered and sat in front of the television dreaming of food I couldn't eat. Nine days is a long time for a cleanse. 

After going to bed, I was awaken by Millie who complained of an ear ache. I gave her some Tylenol which seemed to work, at least for a bit. She woke up at 2:45 am, screaming and crying. I decided I would take her to the emergency room because of her screaming and crying, but by the time I got dressed she was asleep next to Stuart. So I got my jammies back on and climbed back into bed. I slept, restlessly, until about 3:45 am and then I was awakened by the whimpering of the ear ache. So, this time I had to take her to the emergency room, and I'm so glad I did. She had a double ear infection. After they loaded her up with medicine, we drove home and had to wake Stuart up. He had slept past his alarm. Millie insisted she was going to school, but I actually used good judgement and made her stay home. 
Clearly, I look like the sick one, not Millie. 

Before Jack was collected for school, Millie was jumping around and acting perfectly normal. Once he left she settled down and watched some television. Then just before 9 am I insisted she take a nap. After many years, crying for 'Daddy' and 'Jack', she went to sleep. Whew. While she slept, I watched mindless tv and did some tidying up. 

She woke up just after 11:30 am and was in a pretty good mood. She had a little bit of lunch and watch Doctor McStuffins until Stuart got home, at which time I ran to the mall to get the items I had ordered for my next 'Favorite Things' party. This time it is a rainbow party. You buy a gift for everyone, instead of just six people as before, and each person was assigned a specific color. I was assigned grey, but took the liberty to buy something silver, which in my mind was close enough to. I bought small silver camels. They are so cute!

I hustled home after my purchase to take Jack to piano, only to get a letter about his 'concert' in two weeks. He has to wear long trousers, which he doesn't have, and black shoes, which he doesn't have. However, he does have a dress shirt he can wear, thank goodness! This snooty piano concert crap may not be my bag. Ugh!

Once we were home and the kids were tucked into bed, Stuart and I watched a Bond film. Well, I actually slept through a Bond film, but no need to mention that.  

Tuesday at school I had enough of the boys at canteen and finally called in reinforcement. It was decided that we would all meet and decide a new plan. We definitely needed one. So we shall see where this goes. 

After school I decided I would go for my swim instead of waiting u til Jack's practice. The main reason was because I felt Millie shouldn't be out late and should have an early bedtime. Another reason was because the pool heater is not working to full capacity, and although it is not exactly cold outside at anytime, the pool is freezing, as I am sure I have mentioned before....about a thousand times. 

In order for Millie to be okay with staying with me and having a 'Mama/Millie night' I had to promise to paint her nails. 
She insisted on the rainbow look. The girl has a mind of her own. 

After both kids were in bed Cathy came over for a chat. We try to catch up at least every couple of weeks. It usually involves her coming over and watching an episode of Miranda, our favorite British comedy. But this night was just chatting and hearing about latest events in each other's lives. 

Wednesday at school I observed an Arabic PE teacher. This is the second Arabic lesson I have observed this year. She seemed to be doing everything really well. At the end of the lesson I got a gift for coming. There really is a huge build up to lessons that are observed and the Arabic staff have a need to make sure we know how good they are by telling us so. It's quite funny. But I will take chocolates and the new planner, thank you very much. 
On my way home from school I went to grocery store. I decided to buy kids McDonalds. We do this at least once of week out of convenience only. Mother of the Year! When I got home I wouldn't let Jack eat until we got his homework completed, since it was due on Thursday. He was finally able to eat his fish sandwich just as I was leaving for dance with Millie. 

Stuart had training with the vets team on Wednesday. They were having 'dress' night. Since I had ruined my Rugby Ball dress earlier this year, I saved it for such an occasion. Hilarious!
School was a bit uneventful Thursday, as I was only there for three hours and then had a Head of Faculty meeting. And then the meeting wasn't that eventful either. I did our grocery shopping on the way home for the following week's lunches. Have I mentioned how much I hate grocery shopping here? The produce is unbelievably expensive and terrible! Ugh! 

We headed to the rugby club around 5 pm for the EGM (extraordinary general meeting) to vote Stuart in as treasurer of the rugby club. The one who was elected in the summer is moving to Dubai so will no longer be able to fulfill his duties. Stuart was unopposed and no one objected to his appointment as the new treasurer. He was so excited. 

We stayed long enough to feed the kids then it was home and bed for the kids. Stuart and I stayed up and watched a James Bond film, our favorite films. 

Friday morning I got up and headed to Dubai with DeDe, and some other gals, for a rainbow 'favorites' party. We went to the Arte show first for some pilgrim camels DeDe had ordered, then we went on to Umm Al Quwain, another emirate in the UAE. Blink, and you will miss it along the road. The party was fun, but there were two different sets of people there who didn't mingle very well together. There were 7 of us from Al Ain and 7 from Umm Al Quwain. There was no need to make new friends. We got a lot of cute little gifts, but I don't need to go to Umm Al Quwain again. 

Stuart stayed home with the kids and helped Jack with his school project on habitats. When I saw Stuart at the rugby club later that evening, I asked him how the project went. He said, 'Remember, as teachers, when we would get projects that looked like the parents did them? Well, Jack's project looks awesome!' He did tell me that Jack did the research and he taught him how to google search things about the semi-arid desert (the Grand Canyon). He also said he had Jack read the information to him while he typed. Needless to say we will be taking the project in to give to the teacher and explain how Jack was involved. Jack is very excited about this project!

On Friday, prior to returning to Al Ain we decided to go to a recommended bakery in Sharjah, yet another emirate. I found myself driving like I was a part of a demolition derby. The traffic in Sharjah is the scariest I have encountered in the UAE. I drove off of 2 curbs, willingly, and almost was hit by two different cars comin get at me on my side of the road. Fun! But the date cookies were worth it. 

When we finally got home, we went to Heritage Village, a place that DeDe's friends sometimes go to smoke sheesha. I was not exactly thrilled about going, but I did drive so I went along for the conversation. 

Once I returned everyone to their homes I went to the rugby club for the Island Night. 
It's a night of food and entertainment from the New Zealanders. The dancing was wonderful. Stuart was pulled up to dance, as was Millie. And somehow my two white children got into a photo with the dancers.
The party wasn't over until just after 10 pm. The kids were still wide awake. We got them home and clean and in bed. What a long day we all had. 

Saturday morning the kids didn't wake up until just before 9 am. It was wonderful and amazing. We went to the rugby club to eat lunch. The kids played outside for a bit and then we came home.  We did a whole lot of nothing the rest of the day. 

Clare messaged me and asked if I wanted to swim just before 5 pm. My answer was 'no', but I knew I should get as many swims in before our event on the 21st. However, the pool heater was broken and the water was freezing on Tuesday. I had every reason to believe it would be the same on Saturday. The cold pool thought was correct. I nearly froze to death. Well, not quite, but almost. 

Once the kids were in bed we were on to another Bond film. Our life is so rough. 



No comments:

Post a Comment