Sunday, April 24, 2016

Is school over?

The teachers are acting as if now that the inspection team is gone we are finished. We only had three of our five teams turn in their lesson plans this week, which irritated me a touch, but maybe they will rebound and pick up the pace again for the last few weeks. At most, our students will only come for another 5 weeks, including this one. Ramadan starts on June 6 and the trend is they stop coming about 2 weeks before Ramadan. 

Our vice principal was in charge of the senior leadership meeting on Sunday morning. This was what she presented. 
The Emiratis know how to celebrate for even the slightest occasions. 

Millie came home from school with this little card. It says 'student of the day'. Clearly a week is too long for 4 year olds to keep it together. 
She was quite pleased with her little award. 

The kids had gymnastics, and once they were home I headed to the mall to search for a dress for the rugby ball. Rochelle, Clare, Leanne and I had planned to go shopping in Abu Dhabi but if I could find a dress before that time then so be it. 

Well, I did find a dress and once I was home Stuart made the mistake of asking me, 'Are you still going to Abu Dhabi Friday?'  Duh! Of course! I knew this would be the hazard of buying a dress before the 'official' shopping day. Oh well, we were still doing the girls' day out. 

Monday morning I was up early to put a roast in the crock pot. I had gotten this great idea, at the grocery store on Sunday night, that I would make dinner on Monday. So, peeling carrots and cutting potatoes was my 5 am job. I now consider myself a domestic goddess. Seemingly you qualify for that title when you attempt to make dinner at least  twice in the same six months. I'm pleased to report that both kids ate it and loved it. 

School was very uneventful. Our principal shared with the staff the positive feedback and the areas of development needed. Then we were allowed to go home, which was earlier than normal for a Monday. 

Jack had homework, which I have grown to loathe. Stuart went to rugby practice but I don't think he had actual training.  He sorted out the rugby tour gear for Thailand. 

Tuesday at school I spent most of my time helping sort out some poor student behavior. We had a student tear a door off a cabinet at the end of the day on Monday, thing to get his giant bag of chips head brought to school. As you would guess that consumed a bit of our time on Tuesday. 

Once the kids were home from school we made Stuart a birthday cake. Both broke and egg and both stirred as best as they could. I can't promise all of the eggs shells stayed out of the cake. The cake was left to cool while we were at gymnastics. 
The kids both showered when we got home, iced the cake, and then we were off for dinner at PF Changs. We rode in Stuart's gift from last year. 
Dinner was great but the kids were cranky. 
I went to try to find something to wear for an interview for the Head Teacher of a KG (kindergarten)/early years private school in....Abu Dhabi. The Head Teacher of the primary grades had called me on Sunday and said she found my resume on their website but noticed I initially applied for the Vice Principal position in their school located in Al Ain. She asked if I would be interested in coming to interview. I decided it wouldn't hurt and it would be a good experience. I didn't end up finding anything new to wear to the interview, but of course I had several options at home. 

Wednesday morning I was up and traveling to Abu Dhabi. I arrived at the school just after 8 am. I was told to arrive at 8:30 am, so I was early. They handed me a packet with a schedule of my day in it. The first activity was to go in with the Head of the Senior School and observe a lesson. Then I had to give feedback to the teacher on strengths and areas for improvement. It was a great way to see if I knew what I was supposed to be looking for in a good lesson. 

After the observation I was taken on a tour of the entire campus. It was a huge, beautiful campus. I was then ushered into an interview with 6 students from grades 3, 4, and 5. They each asked me two questions regarding the position. The last thing I did was interviewed with the Head of Primary and the Principal. I got a great feeling from the school and felt really good about my interview. Because I was a bit of an after thought, they hadn't sent me what the financial package was. In order to consider the position (pending they liked me well enough to make an offer) I would have to know the financial package being offered. I loved the school and the people I met. I should know next week sometime. 

Of course since I was in Abu Dhabi I felt the need to find a nearby mall. It was actually a mall I had never been to before. Some of my favorite stores were in Dalma Mall so I am pretty sure if I do end up in the position this mall will become a regular stop for me. We shall see.  

I had a doctor's appointment for my three month check up. It seems if my blood work comes out normal I get to stop taking some of the supplements he has been giving me. I will go and check on the blood work next week. Stuart was supposed to have training but decided not to go and instead took the kids to eat sushi at the shooting range restuarant called Target. Of course, I got excited when Stuart said they were going to Target and then remember that the Target I love doesn't exist in this country. Boo!

Thursday I was only at school for two hours and then headed out for a Head of Faculty meeting. I couldn't stay focused at the meeting and kept thinking of the other million things I could be doing. I'm a little ready for the school year to be over. 

Thursday evening we were supposed to go to a coach's dinner for the youth rugby teams. Millie and I ended up staying at home because the weather was a bit stormy and she really needed an early night. She cried initially until I told her we would watch The Lorax. She fell asleep in the first 15 minutes of the movie. Poor baby!

Friday morning I was awake at 5 am in anticipation of the shopping day ahead. The 'rugby ball dress ' shopping trip just turned into a shopping trip for whatever we wanted. Since we all already had our dresses we focused on shopping for pleasure. I tried several things on but ended up only buying a dress, a bit fancier than I would normally buy, and a white short sleeved cardigan, for myself. With the weather heating up I like to wear tank tops, but uncovered shoulders are a bit of a no-no, so to be a little more modest the cardigan will be perfect. I bought the kids a pair of flip flops each and something from the Candilicious store, which is always a hit. Unfortunately the flip flops I bought for Millie were too small and warrants a trip back to the mall next week to return them otherwise I won't get my money back. There is a 7 day return policy that I don't want to miss out on. I love Yas Mall so it works out fine for me. 
Rochelle, Leanne and Clare all had their fair share of shopping bags at the end of the day. It was a fantastic day with some of my besties. We started with coffee at Starbucks, shopped, had lunch at Cheesecake Factory, and then shopped some more. 
The men had been at the pool most of the day, and we found them about 6 beers in once we returned to the club. We stayed and let the kids play and then were home and in bed by 9 pm, all of us. 
Saturday we stayed around the house all morning. Millie had a birthday party to attend at the local Fun City. Jack was invited as well because the birthday boy rides to school with Millie and Jack everyday. 

There was face painting, games, rides, McDonalds and cake. A perfect day!
One of the rides I had to go with Millie because she was too short. 
Jack was the joker (fitting) and his friend, Sam, was obviously Batman. 

We got home around 5 pm and went through our normal evening routine. The kids were in bed by 6:30 and asleep by 7. I was asleep on the sofa at 8 pm and finally went to bed just after 9 pm, leaving Stuar to finish one of the Lord of the Rings films. 

Another great week for the Telfords. 






No comments:

Post a Comment