Sunday, May 1, 2016

Holiday! Celebrate!

Sunday I was in charge of the senior leadership team meeting. Although I didn't bring the spread our VP had the previous week, I had many agenda items that were relevant and pertinent to the meeting. I was complimented by my principal, via email, which was also sent to my cluster manager. 

Prior to going to school I really wanted to call in sick. I had a horrible cold, the kind of cold that when you stand up and lean over, you are sure to have a small waterfall out your nose. I sneezed approximately 12 times on Sunday and felt terrible, but I pressed through and went to work, mainly because of the meeting I had to conduct. 

Once I was home from school the regular Sunday routine commenced. Gymnastics provided a new teacher and more strenuous exercises, which seemed to be good for the kids. I ended up staying and watching because there was a mom new to gymnastics and we got to chatting. Seems her daughter will be in the same year group as Jack at Brighton College next year. It seems our community here is super small. 

We made it an early night for the kids, which is always glorious for us. We get to spend a little more time with each other and we usually watch something Stuart wants to watch, but it's okay because I normally just play Words with Friends with Stuart's mum. 

My cold just got worse on Monday and I felt horrible. However, since I really don't have anything but 2 emergency days left, I felt I should push through in case in the next 8 weeks I need a day out shopping. 

came home after picking the kids up from Kayleigh's and on the way home I got a message from Abbey's dad. Abbey is Millie's best friend. Abbey was sitting next to Sophie at school, another one of Millie's friends, and Millie wanted to sit by Sophie. So she did what any reasonable kid would and she bit Abbey. Lord, help us! 

I just chilled out on Monday evening while Stuart headed to training. I was exhausted and very sick. So early bedtime occurred for everyone. 

My principal had informed me on Monday that I would be going to a professional development siminar on Tuesday and wouldn't need to come back to school. The meeting ended at 11 am. So I decided to take Millie's too-tiny shoes back to Abu Dhabi. I was bent on buying this skirt from Tommy Bahamas that I seen the previous Friday, but when I tried it on I wasn't as swept with it as I had hoped I would be. Plus, I was sure that I could buy it cheaper at the outlet mall in Chandler once I got back to Arizona on July 7. It's getting closer and we are so excited. 

I got home in just enough time to take the kids to gymnastics. It's heated up too much now to walk while they are in class, so I end up just sitting and watching the kids. They worked on doing somersaults on the beam. It was a little scary to watch, I will admit. 
Millie's upper body is still a bit weak. 
Jack just wanted to swing. 

I woke up at 4:30 am on Wednesday morning to this email:
Dear Dana,

Thank you very much indeed for your application and also for attending the interview last week. It wad a pleasure to meet you.

We have now made what was a difficult decision due to the strong field of candidates who applied for the post.

Unfortunately we are not able to offer you a position  on this occasion.

We wish you every success in the future.

Best regards,

Maggie

Although I know it's best because the drive and time away from Stuart and the kids would defeat part of the reason we are here (more family time), rejection still stings. 

I had another training on Wednesday, which reminded me why I like my job. When there are 4 days in a week and you get to go to training, basically working only 2 hours on those two days, it's not a bad job. 

I was out of the Wednesday training by 11:30 and decided to go to the mall. I found my items for the next 'favorite things' party, the get together DeDe has every 3 or 4 months. I spent a little more than I should have but the items were cute. I then did our grocery shopping for the week so we would not have to spend our three day weekend thinking about it. I got home before the kids were home and unpacked the shopping. 

The kids got their school pictures on Wednesday. We were very pleased with them. 
The kids went to a neighbor's to play once they were home. The water went out at our place, which apparently used to happen a lot at this property, but has not happened in the 15 months we've lived here. I was on hold for well over 20 minutes with the management company and never was able to speak to anyone. The water came back on just before 4 pm, so someone obviously got through. 

We decided to go to the rugby club for dinner. Wednesday was actually an Islamic holiday, but they moved the 'recognition' day to Thursday so we would all have the day off, creating a three day weekend. So it made sense to head to the rugby club. 

It was Pub Quiz night so we ate and then Cathy and I came back to ours for a catch up chat. I bathed and put the kids to bed. Cathy stayed until nearly 10 pm. We don't see each other as much as we used to, so it was great to just sit and talk. 

Thursday we had good intentions to make it to the pool, but it never happened. Stuart went to the club for an impromptu committee meeting just before noon and when he came back he said the pool was really crowded. That was enough to make our decision easy. 

The kids played around the house most of the day, actually getting along really well. 
He is really very tolerant of her. She sat on him like that until she realized it didn't bother him. 

I had put a meal in the crock pot for a Cinco de Mayo party we were invited to Thursday evening. It was at a house just about 4 down from ours, so it was easy enough to attend. We got there just after 6 pm. Brian and Lara were the hosts and we saw many friends we hadn't seen in a while. It was a wonderful social event until it was reported, just before 9 pm, that Millie had pushed a little boy off the bunk bed and told him she was going to cut his wiener off. Lovely! I'm sure he had said or done something she didn't like, but no matter. 

She exited the party early and was home and in bed in no time. Once Jack was home, I talked to him about some things. She doesn't just come up with these things on her own. I'm pretty sure her interaction at home with her brother encourages some of this behavior. I explained to Jack that we needed to assure that Millie was treated like a little lady and started behaving like one and not threatening to cut off other kids' wieners. It's just a thought!

Friday morning I found out that the little boy had initially told Millie he was going to cut off her head, so maybe a threat of cutting off his wiener was a good thing for him. Maybe next time he won't be so quick to pop off to a little girl, not matter how sure he is he can intimidate her. 

We lounged around the house most of Friday morning and just got things ready for the BBQ planned at our house that evening. Stuart went to the store for some last minute bits, the kids watched movies and played in their rooms, and I tidied up the house, although that didn't take long. 

Guests began to arrive just after 4 pm. There was meat that seemed to never end. We had a great time, although most of us were housed in the kitchen then entire night. 
This was the only picture of the evening. Leanne (in the middle) always has to take a selfie everywhere she goes. Rochelle and i are usually in it with her. 

Everyone left around 10 pm and I cleaned up two kids' very disheveled bedrooms. I hate mess so badly. It's a character flaw if you ask me. I have to work really hard to let my kids mess things up in order to have fun. I may need an intervention. 

Saturday morning I woke up to two giggling boys' voices coming from the bathroom. Henry had spent the night and they were up early. When they came out of the bathroom I asked what they were doing. Apparently they had been taking pictures of their private parts with Jack's iPad. What is it with my kids and their private parts? Give me a break!

We went to pool before 11 am. Jack ended up leaving with the Richardsons, while Millie, Stuart and I stayed for a few more hours. We got home around 2 pm and I finished making the beds after washing all the sheets. 

We left for Scott and Clare's just after 3 pm. She made a lamb shoulder for dinner. They didn't have school the following day but my kids did so we only stayed until 7:30 pm. Once we were home it was full on meltdown from Millie. She is a crank if she doesn't get her sleep. 

Once the kids were in bed we watched television and then retired, ready for another week of school. 





No comments:

Post a Comment