Sunday, May 15, 2016

Another week, another interview

Sadly, Millie had a fever in the night and came into our bedroom around 2 am. She was burning up. I gave her some Tylenol and let her sleep in our bed until her fever started to break, then I returned her to her bed. 

She wasn't 100% when she got up but she went to school anyway. The main reason I needed her to go to school was because I was to take some time in the afternoon to go for the interview at the private school. 

I left school just after lunch, went home to change my clothes, and found Stuart home. He wasn't feeling well at school so he had come home as well. He had started a cleanse on Sunday and was missing his coffee. 

I arrived for my interview about 15 minutes early. I asked for the principal but when she spoke to me she acted as if she was not aware of my coming. Trust me, this was not a reassuring feeling. 

Once the CEO came into the room and spoke to the principal, she started to remember that he had spoken to her about me the previous Thursday. The conversation we had was good. I spoke of my qualifications and they asked how I would help to move their school forward. I was then given a tour of the school. The school was really nice and the children were very well behaved, which was a nice surprise. 

When I left I felt really good about the interview. I thought I would have heard something in the week, but as of Saturday, almost a week later, I had heard nothing. I get over confident, I have decided, and really think I probably got every job I interview for. If I don't get the job, I'm fine with it. I just want to know either way. 

The evening was full of gymnastics, dinner, showers and bed. Quite uneventful I suppose. It's really starting to heat up, so the less activity, the better, in my opinion. 

Monday we started a practice exam on the computer with our students. We had to give our annual exam to 6 different classes. I was amazed at the lack of computer skills our students had. All they had to do was scroll down the page, click the answer and then click the 'next' button. For some it was truly challenging. 

Stuart's detox went from bad to worse. He was sick all the way through Thursday. He ended up being off school on Wednesday and Thursday. The doctor said it was flu, but I believe it might have involved the detox. However, at the end of the week he had lost 10.5 pounds. So I guess it worked. He was just needed a kick start. Since spring break he has yo-yoed with the same two or three pounds. He's on his way down again. 

Monday evening the kids and I went to the Richardsons for May's birthday celebration at her house. It was just a small meal and some ice cream. The kids showered before hand so that when Millie fell asleep on the way home, which she always does, it would be no big deal. 

Tuesday at school the kids were crazy. It's as if they know they are not going to be at school in a little over a week and they are just pushing every button. No one has control, except maybe the kids. 

I told a mom I would come and get her daughter for gymnastics on Tuesday night. Then afterwards we all went to McDonalds. Because the little girl lived a ways away from us, I decided to drop my kids at our house to get showers and hen I ran Ciera home.  
Oooo, how I love McDonalds crap!
Then there's Jack, trying to stack his Big Mac back together. 

Once I was home the kids had showered and I read them stories. Then they were off to bed. 

Wednesday morning when we got up Stuart wasn't feeling well so he decided he was going to stay home from school. As we were all bustling around, Jack discovered an envelop in his back pack that had been returned to him because they didn't get to go on their field trip. Inside the envelop was 25 dirhams. When he handed it to me I decided to let him keep it. He was so excited and ran upstairs to put the money in his wallet. I heard him tell Stuart I let him keep his money. I then heard him tell Millie she could have some of the money. 

When he came downstairs I beamed with pride. It was totally his idea and he was pleased with himself. I love it when your kids do something so sweet that it makes you know they are watching and listening to the examples around them, parents and friends. He also washed all the morning dishes for me. Will the generosity end? Most likely it will by the time he gets home from school. 

School on Wednesday brought about one of our colleagues losing her mother. So professional development was canceled so that the Arabic staff could go visit our teacher. 

I ended up taking two of our teachers home because one of the lady's husband usually picks them up but would be elsewhere on this day. I stopped at the grocery store for some frozen chicken and yogurt. Once home I discovered the water cooler had somehow overflowed. So the chairs and rug that were supposed to be in the kitchen were in the hallway, drying out. Stuart said the bottle had a leak in it. So glad that was the extent of it. 

Just around 5 pm I went to see my surgeon to see if my blood work was normal and I could stop some of the vitamins I have been taking. He said I could stop most of them but in the end I decided to keep taking the calcium and multi vitamin. I probably should have been taking them for a while anyway. 

While I did that, Stuart took the kids to the club and fed them. They returned just before 6:30 pm and Kayleigh showed up to babysit. Cathy, her friend Mandy, and myself had planned to go to quiz night at the club. 

We had dinner and stayed for quiz night. We didn't win, and actually looked quite foolish with most of our answers. However, we had a great deal of fun and it was good to have a night out with the girls. 

Thursday after school I took some of my teachers for pizza again. There weren't as many on this occasion as last, but it was still a good gathering. After pizza, Stuart brought the kids to the club and we went for a swim while he sorted out the team shop. 

We were home, showered and Millie was asleep on the sofa by 7:45. Jack followed just after her. I also fell asleep on the sofa which comes as a shock to no one. 

We got up Friday morning and Skyped Grammie and Pop. Uncle Mitch, Uncle Russ, and Morgan were in Arizona, and while we were Skyping Morgan face timed Aunt Julie and Emily. We had a great time talking with them and the kids were crazy with excitement. Millie drew pictures for Morgan and Emily so I took a picture of her with her pictures. 
This was to Morgan. 
And this more jack-o-lantern looking face was supposed to be Emily. Hmmmm. 

After speaking to the family, Stuart took Jack to Henry and May's birthday celebration. Although Henry's birthday was in December, he had yet to have his celebration. The Richardsons took a bunch of kids up to the Mercure Hotel pool. It's the one up Jabel Hafeet that has water slides. Brace people! He was there until 4 pm. 

Millie hung out with Stuart while I had lunch with Leanne at a new cafe in the mall. I had a sushi dish, which was delectable. We had a good chat and then needed to do some shopping, of course. 

After some retail therapy I headed to the Richardson's to pick Jack up. I ended up staying for two cups of tea before going home. Leaving their house is difficult for us. The kids love Henry and May, and Stuart and I love Scott and Clare. They are really good people and friends. We feel very blessed. 

Once we got home Jack was up for a shower. Millie had already eaten once we got home, so Jack settled for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. The kids watched some television and headed to bed. 

Saturday morning I was woken up by Millie telling me how hungry she was. Apparently in her time with Daddy the previous day, she ate chips and other non-food items, those which would cause greater hunger because they pack no sustenance. 

Once I got her breakfast I went back upstairs to brush my teeth and get dressed. We lounged around the house the entire day. The kids fought and Millie cried a lot. I told Stuart that as much as I like a chilled day at home, I was sure that the kids didn't and wouldn't appreciate it until they were teenagers. So we vowed not to have such a day again for a while. 

During my lounging, Stuart went to take some of the Fijians who work at the club to buy new rugby gear for the Thailand tour. They really don't get paid much and the club can afford to put out some funds for the best players on the team, I suppose. 

The entire lounge day was uneventful for me other than the kids helping me make brownies for my staff, and I made some for them of course. They both love to help me bake, which makes me happy. 

No kids had to take a shower because they hadn't left the house since their shower the previous night. We watched the 4th Alvin and the Chipmunks movie, which I was certainly thrilled about. And spoiler, no need to watch the first three to understand the 4th one. Ha!

I Skyped Liz later in the evening and then retired to the bed. 

Another week and our students should stop coming to school. We try to keep them in school, but when the school system puts out an email telling us we must have grade 5 graduation by May 26, what kind of message is that sending to students and families? Exactly!

No comments:

Post a Comment