Sunday, May 22, 2016

Graduation is on. Nope, now it's off.

Since we were informed we would need to have graduation by May 26, we planned to have the boys' grade 5 graduation on Wednesday, the 25th, and the girls' graduation on Thursday, the 26th. In the meantime we decided to have other awards for other grades given out on Sunday and Monday. 

So Sunday morning I passed out the schedule that told which grade levels would present at what period. Most of the grade levels did a nice job. Grade 4 had difficulty staying quite as long as they did, but they made it through. 

Shortly after I got home I got a message from my principal telling me that our Cluster Manager had called and told us that graduation must be canceled. She gave me no more details, but said she was sure she would learn the reason in the coming days. 

I took the kids to gymnastics while Stuart went to the club to interview for the retail shop manager's position. The kids were sound asleep by the time he got home and I was almost there as well. 

Monday proved to be the day all was made clear. It seems that the email that we all received regarding the graduation being before May 26, was intended for the Kindergarten and grade 12 classes only, yet no grade was specified in the initial email. So, we will probably still have the presentations of certificates, just nothing terribly formal, or maybe we would ignore the message. 

The wheels are definitely falling off the bus this week. The boys' behavior is at an all time epic proportion, and no one seems to want to address it. Of course, I continue to attempt to control the behavior, but I am only one person. 

The girls' celebrations lasted all day. There were fewer boys in school on Monday than Sunday. I suspect that will be the trend the rest of the week. 

I got home just after Millie and Jack returned from school. Both kids showered and then we headed to Dubai to visit Granddad. He was teaching in Dubai for a few days so we decided to go and meet him for dinner. Naturally, Millie fell asleep on the way. Normally that means a late night with her. However, since she was sure to have a late night anyway we decided a nap wasn't a bad thing on this particular day. 
We had dinner at an Italian restuarant in the hotel, which proved to be convenient. After dinner we went to Grandad's room and visited for a while. It was good to see him and wasn't so bad leaving him as we knew it would only be a few weeks before we saw him again in the UK. 

At dinner I introduced hanky babies to Jack. My grandma used to make these while we were in church out of her hankies in her purse. He was complaining about being bored and not having anything to do while we chatted after the meal. So, I opened a whole new world to him. 
We arrived at home just after 10 pm and every member of the family was asleep except for me. I had driven home, so I guess it was good I wasn't asleep. 

Tuesday at school the kids began to disappear. We combined most classes which meant less teaching hours for each teacher, which was pleasing to the staff. 

Tuesday was the last day of gymnastics and they had an assessment of their abilities. There were some parents there who were former gymnasts and were appalled at the inappropriate way the teacher was spotting the kids. I would agree that it was a bit scary. It was our last class at this place so I didn't fuss about it too much. 

Wednesday we had a program for the grade 5 boys that was not considered a graduation, but clearly it was a graduation. 
Wednesday after school we headed to the mall to have a family meal at P F Changs before Stuart left for Thailand. I might have purchased some make up from Sephora, because it's kind of my latest obsession. Oh dear, another 12 step program, here I come. 

The kids had been bathed before we went to the mall. They stayed up and watched an episode of Peppa Pig, then said their good nights and goodbyes to Stuart and went to be. Stuart was up and gone by 3 am on Thursday morning. Of course I was awake once he left and stayed awake until about 4 am. My alarm went off at 5 am, so up and on the go I went. 

The kids got out of bed without much prompting, mainly because they were excited about our weekend away in Abu Dhabi, at Al Raha Beach Hotel. 

Once I was at school it was discovered that only 3 grade 4 boys had come to school. 19 grade 3 girls, 15 grade 4 girls, and the entire class of grade 5 girls were there for their 'non-graduation' ceremony.  The ceremony lasted for 3 hours. I was sitting on a plastic bench and faked a phone call halfway through in order to leave without anyone questioning me. Both the girls' and the boys' ceremonies were followed by a buffet lunch, catered by a local restuarant. I kind of understand while the Abu Dhabi Education Council wants to get away from formal graduation ceremonies. 
We all left school around 1 pm, and I headed home to finish packing. Once I was home, I loaded the car and waited for the kids to get home so our weekend could begin. 

Their driver went to Thailand with Stuart so I assumed someone else would pick them up, because when he's been out of town in the past that is what he's arranged. Well, that was not the case on Thursday. No one picked them up to bring them home. When I figured this out I called Cathy, picked her up, and then headed to their school. It set us back about 30 minutes, but we would live. I was a little cheesed, but I soon got over it, once we checked into the resort. 
This was the view from our balcony. That building that looks like a circle is referred to as the Black Pearl. I think it's residential, but not sure. All I know is that it has cool reflections in it at all times of the day. 

We ate at the Irish pub attached to the hotel called McGettigans. It was delicious, and fortunately we were set apart from everyone. The kids weren't on their best behavior so it was best for that not to be seen by a pub full of people who are mainly there to have a pint or two and not listen to whiney kids. 

We then decided since it was still light outside we would head to the pool. We got there around 7:15 pm and were told it closed at 8 pm. Perfect! Just enough time to wear the kids out. 
The kids loved the pool. 
Cathy and I opted to sit poolside. It was 88 degrees, but there was a breeze that kept me from wanting to have the chill once I got out of the pool. 

It was back to the room, showers for the kids and then Jack decided he was hungry. The last few days he doesn't seem to be able to eat enough food in the time he's awake. I dread the teenage years for that alone. He had a banana and seemed okay with just that. 
I had brought sleeping bags for the kids because the 'double' beds in the hotel are not as big as 'double' beds at home. Jack ended up sleeping on the sofa and of course the little princess shared a bed with me. She hardly moves so it's no big deal. Friday morning we weighed the kids and discovered that Millie only weighs 30 pounds. So she's a whole lot of nothing in the bed anyway. 

Once we were all awake on Friday morning, which was early, we had breakfast and got ready for the day. Rochelle, Steph and kids would not be at the hotel until after 1 pm so we didn't want to get to the pool too early. We decided to walk around the mall that was attached to the hotel. Since there was a Borders bookstore, of course we had to go in. And naturally Jack had to buy some Star Wars figurines. Millie tried to get something but couldn't find anything she wanted. She settled for looking at another store and eventually we found a Frozen sand bucket with sand toys. It was perfect and about a fifth of the price of what Jack bought. Both kids were pleased. 
After a coffee at a little cafe in the mall, we headed back to the hotel to get chairs poolside. 
The kids went immediately to the kids play area where there were fountains and slides. Cathy and I sat in the sun for a while, but also had the option of shade, which is vital in our intense heat. 
Here was Jack waiting for his pals to show up. They were supposed to be there at 1 pm, but were a bit late. 
Finally all the kid showed up and occupied each other, getting along so well that not one tear was shed all day. 

Once we had enough of the pool we headed to our rooms to get showers and get ready for dinner. We went to McGettigans again, but this time with the whole gang. Because this was a women's weekend with their kids, the man in the photo is very confusing. He is actually a rugby player as well. Why didn't he go on the Thailand tour? I don't know. What did he end up coming on our girls'/kids' weekend? I don't know. But we welcomed him anyway. His name is Andrew Williams and he's from Wales. Stuart always introduces him to me as 'Andy Williams' and then starts singing 'Moon River'. Stuart laughs every time he does it. Cracks me up!
This poor pub never knew what hit them with this gang. 

After dinner it was time for bed. The kids fell asleep pretty shortly after they got into the room, and Cathy and I soon followed in slumber. 

We got up on Saturday morning, had a bite to eat in the room Ns then headed to the pool for a couple of hours. 

Sadly, the weekend came to an end all too quickly. We left the pool around 11 am, showered and headed to the mall for some lunch. I used another one of my entertainer vouchers that saved us about $20. Cathy and I had fajitas and the kids got mac and cheese at Chilis. 

Naturally we had to do a bit of shopping after we ate. The down side was that Millie had a chocolate shake at lunch and drank the entire thing. Therefore, shortly after our meal she insisted she was going to throw up. I kept holding her over the closest trash can, between shops naturally, and she didn't throw up. Finally at shop number three she came through on her threat and barfed in the ziploc baggie Cathy had given me for such an occasion. Once that shake was out of her body she was all better. She concluded that next time she was probably going to stick to water. 

We headed home just 4 pm, but not before we hit the candy shop (yes, I was living on the edge having a child already barf once that day). 

Once we were home the unpacking and back to reality began. Laundry started, kids were fed, and lunches were packed for the next day. 

What a fabulous weekend to commemorate the fact that I would not have students at school for the rest of the year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment