Monday, April 24, 2017

A three day weekend to look forward to.

Easter morning we were up and the kids hunted the Easter eggs the Easter bunny had left for them. Stuart and I had a bit longer that morning because we were going to a training in Abu Dhabi about reading. Once the kids were off to school, we headed to pick up another Head of Faculty and were off for another riveting training, where the first hour was only in Arabic. Sometimes I wonder why it's important for us to attend these trainings. However, a day out of school is nice. 

On our way home from Abu Dhabi, we stopped at the store to get something to bake and take to the potluck at church that evening. I made dump cake while Stuart went to pick up Jack from swim squad. Once the kids were home, backpacks were unpacked, and homework completed, they were off to take showers and get ready for church. 
At church the kids participated in several activities, we ate at the potluck and the service was after the food. The kids sat in the back and colored while I listened to the sermon. Stuart had an emergency committee meeting to handle some club business with the newly elected committee. After the service was over, we came home and both kids were fast asleep when we pulled in the carport. I took them up to bed and got my stuff sorted out. Stuart got home from his committee meeting about that time and went to say goodnight to the kids. I showered and assumed my position on the sofa. It was a nice Easter Sunday. 





Monday morning I had every intention to walk, but I couldn't drag my butt out of bed. In fact, I slept until 6 am, which is about 40 minutes longer than I should have slept. I was feeling in a funk, but got on with things anyway. The kids were up and going through their routines. They got ready for school and we all headed our own ways. 

I was officially released from my teaching obligations on Monday, and told that I would only need to be in the classroom if the teacher who had been ill became ill again and wasn't at school. Yahoo!

We stayed for parent conferences and only one out of twenty-two parents came to see me. It was nice to speak with that parent, however there still seems to be a disconnect when it comes to the parents in our community. 

I left school around 3 pm and went to meet up with my gal pals for Hassah's birthday celebration. We were doing dinner at PF Changs and then a movie. I did some shopping for the beginning of Stuart's birthday week. I had decided the kids and I would get him a present each day the week before his birthday. I started it on Tuesday, but in actuality it should have started Wednesday. I suppose another day won't hurt anyone. The gals and I went to see Fast and Furious 8. I just love those movies. They are full of action and comedy.....and Duwayne 'The Rock' Johnson. Yum! I got home after the kids were in bed and showered, getting myself ready for bed. 
Tuesday I left work early so Stuart and I could go speak with the head master if Brighton College regarding the way the school fees jumped. Although we were able to meet with him and express our appreciation of the school, our plea for lower fees was not granted. We knew it wouldn't be, but we really had to just give it an effort. He said he really hadn't heard from many who were unhappy about the school fees. I just assumed that there weren't very many Americans at the school. The British are too polite to complain. They will just leave the school and no one will ever know why. So our meeting resulted in our decision to take them to a different school next year. It was sad, but the way it has to be. 

We invited the Richardsons over for curry Tuesday evening. Scott needed to go and get his car from the mechanic, so Stuart took him in the Land Rover, which had overheated on the way home from Brighton College. As they were traveling, it happened again and Scott had to walk to the gas station to get some water. Once they picked up Scott's car, they decided to leave ours. So on Wednesday, I had to borrow Clare's car to get to school. 

School on Wednesday was relatively quiet. I completed several walkthroughs, which are not my favorite things to do, but required. Once I was home Wednesday evening, the kids made an apron for one of Stuart's presents. 


They got sorted and were off to bed. Cathy came over for a chat. We mainly talked about my funk and how I wasn't in the mood to do much of anything this past week. I felt better after our chat. 

School on Thursday was just another day. I picked up Jack from ECAs and picked up the Richardsons as well, since I still had Clare's car. We went back to theirs for tea and once Scott was home we all headed to our house for Paella. Stuart was so looking forward to this evening. His mum had bought him a Paella pan for Christmas so he was anxious to try it. 
Henry ended up spending the night and the boys didn't go to bed until almost midnight. They were playing their iPads and were quiet, but still didn't get much sleep. They slept up in the loft, so when the air conditioner on our room blew a fuse at 5:45 am, naturally Stuart woke them up when he climbed over the sofa to fix the fuse. 

Friday I woke up with a stuffy head, and Jack was coughing. Neither of us felt so great. We didn't have any plans, so hanging around the house and drinking coffee was my desire. The kids played around the house, and at one time Jack traded Millie a 50 dirham note for a 100 dirham note. Somewhere in his head he thought he would get away with the trade. He's so clever. Naturally, we made them trade back. 

We lazed around until about 10 and then walked with the kids to Abela for a treat. They rode bikes and a scooter, while we walked. 
We were off to the pool around noon and stayed there until almost 4 pm. When we left the pool, Henry went home with Scott and we headed home for the kids to take showers before heading to Scott and Clare's for pizza. Karen and Wade came for pizza as well. We stayed until almost 8 pm, when we decided it was time for the kids to get some rest. I dropped Stuart at Andrew's so he could have a drink with Andrew and Sean. The kids were both asleep when we got home. They were shattered. 

Saturday morning Jack and Millie were up before 6:45 am, when I got up. We sat around for most of the morning and then I got on the computer to book our accommodations through Airbnb for our two weeks holiday in Italy this July. I had decided it would be cheaper than through booking.com, and I was right. 

We left just before 11 to take Millie to her first gymnastics class in Dubai. We had decided that it was time we gave her a little more attention in the sporting world. We arrived a bit early to the gym and were told we could go in to watch some of the students. Once it was time for Millie to participate, we had to go behind the doors. The owner said we were too distracting. Surprise! 


She finished after and hour and then I went to speak with the coach. She said she was a natural and wanted to know if we were willing to drive to Dubai once a week for just an hour. We decided we could handle it for the rest of the school year and then would make a decision about next fall when we came to that time. 

After we finished at the gym, we then went to the Mall of the Emirates. We ate at Texas de Brazil, a meat fest of fun. It was a place where they bring you carved meet, chicken and shrimp. The food was phenomenal, but too much for me for sure. Stuart was totally loving it, as was Jack. Fortunately for us Millie didn't have to pay because she is 5 years old. Thank goodness, because she didn't eat enough to feed a fish. 
We left the mall around 5:30 pm to see if we could go to Dragon Mart. Dragon Mart is supposed to be the shop where you can get anything you need. 
Well, it being a Saturday evening, once we arrived it was obvious there were no parking places. It was too crowded for all of us. In the end we decided to come home. We got a snack at the gas station when we stopped for gas. Then it was on to the house. Both kids were wide awake when we got home, but did go to bed. 

I showered and rested my weary head on the sofa. It was a great week and a very full weekend. We still had one more day of the weekend because the next day was an Islamic holiday. Oh what to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment