Sunday, April 30, 2017

There's a new baby in our house!

Sunday we didn't have school. It was an Islamic holiday. I took the kids to see Boss Baby. It was a cute movie, but may have had a little more adult humor in it than they understood. 


After the movies we headed to the grocery store. Why is it that I can do all kinds of fun things for the kids, but when I need them to go to the grocery store with me because it's not convenient to drop them by the house first, they fall apart and are unruly. Geez!


Once we were home and their life had been brought back to normal, they watched television and played with the toys the rest of the afternoon. They showered just after 4 pm and we headed to their dentist appointments. Somehow we skipped he 6 month appointment so I knew the potential for cavities was there, especially with my stubborn, adorable little girl. Sure enough, Millie had a huge cavity. It was between two of her bottom teeth. The dentist didn't numb her or anything, she just started drilling, and Millie started crying. However, that child did not move a muscle. She squeezed my hand and tears rolled down her face. I felt so bad for her. She is the child that will always learn the hard way, and this is a prime example of it. She often refuses to brush her teeth as long as I think she should, and a cavity is the unfortunate result. Jack, on the other hand, brushes his teeth as if he's trying to get tar off the pavement. As a result, he had no cavities. Yahoo!


We got home and ate dinner.  Stuart had made burritos while we were at the dentist. It was then time for bed for the kids. I showered and then came back downstairs for some rest and relaxation. The dentist appointment had been quite stressful for me as well. 


I was up and walking Monday morning. It was good to get back into a walking routine. Monday was the first day of our school week and it seemed the longest ever. The boys in our school are on a major decline. Monday evening Stuart was off to rugby while the kids and I made cakes for his birthday. I had invited people over as a bit of a surprise but Millie let the cat out of the bag. She was looking at the juices I had bought for the kids and she said,'Mama, how many kids are coming tomorrow night?' Stuart was right next to me when she asked, so I just put my finger up to my lips as if to tell her to be quiet. So, thinking I didn't hear her she repeated herself, 'Mama, how many kids are coming to the party tomorrow?'  I responded with, 'We aren't having a party, Millie.' To which she blurted out, 'You mean Mr. Brian is not coming over?' Thanks for letting the cat out of the bag!


Once the kids were in bed Monday evening, I took a shower and had a bit to eat. Then I assumed the comfy sofa position and fell asleep. 


When Stuart had come home Monday evening he let me know about two Sri Lankan workers at the equestrian center who had been found face down in the golf course lake. I was telling Lara about it on Tuesday morning when we walked, and we both discussed how we never hear of people dying in the UAE. In fact, besides the woman who was killed the first year we were here, I hadn't heard of any other deaths. We know people die all the time, but it doesn't seem to be spoken about. 


Tuesday I spent most of my time at school chasing, yes chasing, boys back into their classrooms. Some of these students have already given up, and we have at least 4 weeks before Ramadan. It's a little concerning to think what the next few weeks might hold. 


On Tuesday afternoon on Facebook, my friend Jane posted a picture of their new puppy, which of course sparked an idea in mine and Stuart's heads. We talked about it and contacted the lady who was looking for adopted homes for the puppies, and we decided that on my way back from Dubai on Wednesday (gymnastic for Millie), I would go get the dog. We have lost our minds. 


Tuesday, I left work early to collect some science books from another school. This caused me to get home a bit early, which gave me time to start preparing for the party. I sat out some food and had plenty of ice in the freezer, or so I thought. Guests started arriving around 4:30 pm and the last one walked out around 10:15 pm. It's not the best idea to have this kind of gathering on a weeknight. It makes for very tired children the following day, as well as the parents. 


Wednesday morning came way too early, and needless to say Lara and I decided not to walk. I actually got to work late because I went to another school to collect more science books. I ended up having coffee with my friend, Ang, who is the Head of Faculty at the school that gave me the books. I ended up getting to school at 9 am and I left at 11 am. I was to go to a spelling bee meeting, but in the end I met up with Stuart and we went shopping for the puppy. Once we were finished, we headed home to put the purchased items in the house and I headed to Brighton to get Millie. 


When I got there she was going to apologize to one of the teachers for bringing her hand sanitizer outside on the playground. Ugh! She couldn't find the teacher so her teacher said she could apologize on Thursday. We then rushed off and into the truck. We would be 10 minutes early for gymnastics as long as I didn't screw up the directions. Oh, but wouldn't you know, I screwed up the directions. Shocking! Millie slept the entire way to the gym and we ended up arriving about 8 minutes late. Irritating! Why can't I follow directions? Don't know!


Once gymnastics was over, we went through the drive-thru at McDonalds. The truck barely fit around the bends. We both ate on the way home. Once we were in Al Ain, I plugged in the directions to the lady's house who had the puppies. I had told Millie we would be making a stop before going to the club to get Jack, but I didn't tell her it was to get a new puppy. When we got there, they let the puppies out. There were two left, but I had already decided which one we were going to take. Millie couldn't believe we were actually going to get to keep the puppy. She stunk to high heaven, but I guess being with 6 other puppies and their mom in a bedroom for 8 weeks would cause a little stink. 


Once the puppy was loaded up, we headed to the club to pick up Jack. We went onto the pitch and here came Jack and Stuart. Jack could hardly believe his eyes. He couldn't believe we were actually letting him have a dog. We loaded her up again and headed home to bathe her. In the end, the kids decided to name her Molly. Once she was fresh and clean, Cathy, Claire and Kayleigh came to see our little girl. They stayed for a bit and she bobbed around and whined. When Stuart got home, I put the kids in the shower and then to bed. That couldn't be done until someone was there to watch the baby....I mean the puppy, but same difference. 


Thursday we left Molly in the kitchen with a baby gate on the door. She was not happy. We could hear her howling as the kids got into Brian's car. The cats had not been impressed when we brought her home the previous night, and had actually stayed upstairs to avoid her. I suppose they will all learn to get along, or at least I hope they do. 


School was busy on Thursday. I taught three periods because my teacher was in the hospital again. I suspect she will be at least for a week. That's usually how long she is admitted for. Once I left school I headed to Al Ain English Speaking School to finish the kids' enrolment and pay their first instalment. My plan was to then go to the grocery store and collect Jack from his math club. Unfortunately, the school fun took way longer than I anticipated so I picked up Jack, dropped him off at the house, and then headed to the store. 


Once I was home from the store, we headed to the club for the youth rugby awards. Both kids were in their rugby kids and excited to get their medals of participation. Jack also received the Player's Player award, which is voted on by all the team members. He was so happy about it. He was also a bit cocky, as you can see in the picture. 

Coach and son!

We didn't stay long at the club. Stuart had a rugby 10s tournament all day Friday, so he felt the need to get home and to bed at a decent time, plus we couldn't leave our baby at home very long. We were all in bed rather early. 


The first night Molly was with us, she slept until about 4:30 am, I took her out and she peed, and I was hopeful this would be her routine. Sadly, that was not the case the second night. Boo! When I woke up Friday, I spent about 15 minutes with her outside to see if she would do her business, but no luck. She came back inside and within a minute she had peed and pooped on the floor. Really? Fortunately we have tile everywhere so the clean up is not that big of a deal. This was her game all day on Friday. 


We did absolutely nothing while Stuart was playing rugby. I felt it was necessary to stay home and hang out with Molly. I wanted to have a successful toilet training day, but the. I read that dogs are really not ready for toilet training until they are about 12 weeks old. That means we have about 3 more weeks of this fun!


The kids just played and watched movies all day. They were fed and in bed before 8 pm, and I had a bit of time to myself before Stuart got home. He was beat from a 5 game day in the sweltering heat. He took a shower and then we to bed, while I finished the Gilmore Girls. I'm so sad it's over!


Saturday morning I was up at 6:30 am with Molly. Jack was already awake when I got up. Millie woke up shortly after that and I made them pancakes. I sorted out the cats, who had actually started coming downstairs to at least look at Molly. They did scamper straight back upstairs when Molly turned their way, but I see this as progress. 


Once Stuart was awake I was off to Dubai with DeDe. We first stopped for coffee and then headed to the fabric souk. She and Hassah, our Saudi friend, get fabric from these stores in Dubai and then have a tailor in Al Ain make them stove pipe legged pants and jersey shirts. I, of course, had to get in on this. I'm so excited to get my new, one of a kind, outfits. They said the tailor takes about 3 days to complete their requests. We will probably see the tailor sometime next week. I will post pictures once the outfits are finished. 


We spent most of the day just shopping and having lunch and tea and coffee. It was just DeDe and myself, but we had a wonderful time catching up and just having girl time. We got home just after 7 pm and DeDe decided to come into the house to meet Molly. She fell in love, like you do with a puppy. Molly was tuckered out. She had spent the afternoon at Scott and Clare's with their saluki, Biscuit. Jack was disappointed that Millie and Stuart had taken Molly down to their house as he wanted to be the one to introduce them all to Molly. He was at a birthday party all afternoon. I told him he couldn't have it all, unfortunately. 


Millie was in bed when I got home, and Jack was showered and on the sofa. I went to tell Millie good night and then I headed for the shower. After my shower, I sang Jack a song and he was off to bed. Stuart and I watched some television and then he headed upstairs with Molly. I followed shortly after. It was a full week for sure! 


No comments:

Post a Comment