Sunday, September 17, 2017

The kids' first week was a great success!

Sunday we had students in school even though we had no textbooks, missing student chairs and tables, no computers, no copy machine, and the gym had furniture that needed to go somewhere else. But the show must go on. The schedule I made did not flow as much as we would have liked, and by the end of the day we were all beat. 


I had a meeting  with the KG teachers and it actually went well. They are a strong headed group. They remind me of a group of teachers I worked with at Sanborn! We were awesome when we were all working in the same direction, but combustable if one of us decided to go another way. 


After a long day, I headed to pick the kids up at their new school. Stuart had taken them to school, along with Claire (Cathy's daughter). When I got there it was manic. Since I had to go to Dubai for Millie's first gymnastics class, I was beyond stressed about the cars. I went in to find them and that set me back about 10 minutes. 


When I got back to the car I got a message  from the gym in Dubai that stated they would not be opening because the municipality had not granted them entry for this season as of yet. Millie was glad because it stressed her out thinking she might be late to her first gymnastics class of the new year. 


Millie and I joined Stuart and Jack at the club instead of going to Dubai. Jack was very excited about his first rugby training. He has gotten a bit chubby over the summer so it was time to get out and work off some of that flab. Millie helped 'coach' Jack's team. 


When we got home, the kids showered and ate. Then Millie went to bed. The adults ate, and then Jack went to bed. Everyone was so tired from their first day of school. I finished the blog and watched a little television.  Of course I fell asleep on the sofa, waking up to take Molly out for a pee, and then I was off to bed. 


I got up to walk with Lara on Monday morning. We had missed walking with each other and having a good gossip session. Monday was another crazy day at school. It's frustrating when others don't fully understand what the schedule is supposed to look like and seem to be focused on their own agenda. Without a local senior leader on our staff it becomes difficult to communicate with our local staff. I ended up staying late at school. Our parents were upset because a few of our buses didn't get students home until about 2 hours after they left the school. No one can blame them. 

 

I tried to get home early enough to go with the rest of the family to get our new family member, Duke, but I didn't make it. So they collected him without me. And boy, is he a good dog. He's not crazy, like Molly. Once they were home, Stuart left for rugby and the kids and I gave the dogs baths. What a series of comedic errors that was! Duke stood perfectly still while I washed him and then once he was out and dried, he hopped back into the tub and laid down. Whereas, Molly, on the other hand, hated every second, jumped out several times, leaving me to spraying the entire bathroom with the shower head, and ending in several choice words to the crazy Saluki dog. 


On another note, the dog's loved each other and got along like a house on fire. It was perfect. It made us know we had chosen the correct dog for Molly. 


Tuesday morning I was awaken by my alarm and immediately messaged Lara to say I was lazy and couldn't walk. School was better and we got new teachers that we really didn't need. I'm not sure how they work these things out, but we will take what we can get.  We are not provided with substitute teachers, so these extra teachers do actually serve a purpose. 


I left school just after 2 and picked up the kids. Still there was no gymnastics classes in Dubai. Millie was disappointed, but the upside was that she would get to go to rugby again on Tuesday. 


After rugby we had soup for dinner, which was really good. Stuart had made it and since he is an expert in the soup department, we were all thrilled. 


Wednesday we were all up in the morning and off to school by 6:45 am. At my school we got books delivered for the English teachers. I had to count them all, which amounted to 3,332 books. Yes, you read that correctly, and they are consumable books. It's incredible. 


I met with teachers regarding books and let them know because there is no storage in their rooms, I was more than happy to let them house their books in my gigantic office. They seemed fine with that.  I left  school around 3 pm. I got home and reworked the schedule, hopefully for the last time. I finally was able to send some forms to my teachers that I had intended to send last week.  


Stuart had to pick up meat for a BBQ on Friday. He went to the club and brought back 2 huge coolers full of chickens and other meats. They sat in our house to defrost for a couple of days. What a treat for us!


Stuart had grounded the kids from television because of their behavior throughout the day. That was beyond convenient for him, as he was off to rugby for the evening and I would have to deal with the kids and evening with no television. Millie was in bed early, and Jack was as well. The kids have been exhausted this week. 


Thursday I got to school and started sorting through the thousands of books we received. It was manic. We all left just after 2 pm. I felt I didn't accomplish anything and to make things worse the schedule was not right, yet again. I got home and fixed the schedule, again. I then observed Stuart making dinner for over 200 people. What a sight that was. He loved it and was so thrilled to be home with all the makings of a fabulous BBQ! 


Jack had a friend over for a sleepover. They played while I slept on the sofa. The boys played and I allowed them to stay stinky. We ordered pizza and they ate a bit. I bathed Millie just after 8 pm. She went to bed shortly after that. I allowed the boys to stay up until just before 10 pm. 


Friday morning I was up and went to the grocery store after making pancakes for the kids. We spent a while at the house and then we decided to go to the rugby club pool for a few hours. After lunch and a lot of swimming, we delivered Ben to the Rotana, where his parents were, and then headed home to get dressed for the BBQ. 


The BBQ was a great success. The kids and I hitched a ride home with Scott, and ended up only staying a couple of hours. Stuart stayed a bit longer, but wisely left before clean-up started. Smart man!


Saturday was a 'favorites' party at DeDe's. The assignment was for us to bring something from our summer travels. I took leather coin purses from Italy. They were a hit. It was good to get away from my school worries and hang out with my gal pals. 


After my party, we took our truck to get its last service under warranty. We then had Cathy and Claire over for dinner. We haven't been terribly active this week because we are all exhausted from the first week of school. The week ended on a good note and now to gear up for the next week. 





No comments:

Post a Comment