Sunday, November 26, 2017

Tests, tests, and more tests!

On Sunday I went to another school to write exams. Because everything has been a bit delayed this term, there were two other Heads of Faculty and myself who decided we would get a jump on the needed assessments for term 2. I had to leave early to go transfer the title of the Land Rover to the people that bought it. 


After I did the transfer, we went to the club for a tasting of the new menu and the kids had training. The tasting was of the New Mexican menu. Unfortunately, the food wasn’t terribly authentic, but we will live with it, I suppose. The chef came out and asked our opinion and we were rather candid with him. We shall see if he takes some of the suggestions. 


Monday was another day of assessment making and I was exhausted at the end of the day, but felt very accomplished. 


Once I left school, I went to the club to meet with Andrew and map out events for the following year. I suppose I am running for social secretary. If someone runs against me then I suppose they will have to just pick up where I left off. That election will be at the beginning of January. So until that time I am the acting social secretary. 


The Mexican tasting the previous night made me hungry for my enchiladas. So once the guys left for rugby I made dinner. Jack and Millie had dinner, showers and then watched television until it was time to go to bed. Once Stuart and Sean were home, we all ate and watched some tv before hitting the hay. 


Tuesday was a stressful day. Our cluster manager came to school and was micromanaging us. I’m not a fan of people not staying in their own lanes, so to speak. As you would guess, I respectfully told her as such. It was not a pleasant thing to deal with. 


Stuart had come up with a new chore chart for the kids for when they get home from school, which includes washing up their own lunch dishes, drying them and putting them away. I hope they don’t lose the love for it. So far they both enjoy their new chores. Rugby training followed homework and chores. 


Washing and drying dishes! 


Once we were home, the kids showered and ate dinner while I called to speak with my dear friend, Ken. Because our VPN has been acting up for a while, our magic jack hasn’t worked. But all that has changed so I was able to catch up with Ken. It was nice to hear his voice and hear what was going on in their world. 


Jack went to school with Stuart on Wednesday because he was sick and neither of us could take the day off because of the testing. Wednesday school was manic. We had and will have testing for 9 days for grades 1-3. It’s overkill if you ask me, but clearly no one wants my opinion. The teachers stayed after school to mark the exams. They will have to do this each day for he next 8 days. It was kind of fun to all sit in the same room and mark exams. Those times are sometimes when you get to know people the best. 


After school I had a doctor’s appointment for a physical. I was supposed to be seen at 3:30 and it was around 4:15 before I actually saw the doctor. Once I left the hospital I headed to the post office to pick up a Christmas present I had ordered Millie. 


I came home to all the fun home provides. I arrived just in time for Stuart to get to training on time. He had bathed and fed the kids which was nice. They went to bed and I fell asleep on the sofa. When Sean and Stuart got home we all decided to call it a night. 


Thursday was another hectic day at school. I monitored an exam and in the hour and a half I was in the room I walked 3200 steps. It was a grade 1 class and they were needy!


We did a grocery shop while Sean stayed with the kids. Once we got home, because it was Thanksgiving we decided to go out to eat. We went to the club and ordered from the new menu. The kids played for a while.  In fact, Jack played touch rugby with some of the adults. He had a blast. We called it an early night because Jack had to be up and back at the club at 7 am to catch the bus to his rugby match in Dubai. The kids left the club without a fun, which seldom happens. Jack hadn’t felt brilliant the last few days, so I think he was fine with leaving. 


Friday we were up at the Dubai 7s for another day of rugby. Henry and May came with us as Scott and Clare were going to a brunch in Abu Dhabi. They spent the day with us. Jack played some awesome rugby. The new team he has moved down to is much more skilled than his previous team, so it is just making him a stronger player. 



After their two matches we headed back to Al Ain. We were at the house for a couple of hours and then went to the club to watch Stuart play. They killed the team they played. The final score was 100 to 7. They poured it on because the points help them when it comes to league points. 



Towards the end of the game Jack came to me and said he didn’t feel well and wanted to go home. We left as soon as the match was over. We were supposed to go to a big Thanksgiving party but in the end the only kid who wasn’t sick was Millie. May, Henry and Jack were snotty and needed medicine. So I stopped at the pharmacy on the way home and got some medicine. They got showered and doses up. Cathy came over and we decided that the three of them would be fine at the house. We were simply going three doors down and would come back and check on them every half hour or so. Millie, of course, was a party animal and stayed at Lara and Brian’s as late as I would let her. 


We came home for good just before 9 pm. Scott and Clare got there and took May home, but left Henry. By this time, Millie had already fallen asleep on the sofa and I had carried her up to her bed. 


The boys were upstairs playing he PS4 and just carried on while Cathy and I chatted and waited for Sean and Stuart to get home. They rolled in just after 9, did a ‘drive by’ at Lara and Brian’s for food, and then came home and went to bed. Cathy left shortly after that and I went to bed as well. It was a fun evening even though it didn’t turn out as planned. 


Saturday we just laid around and did a load of nothing. The kids played outside and at friends’ houses. Around 3:30 pm we headed to the Richardson’s for curry. It seems to be a bit of a habit we have. Most Saturday evenings we have dinner with them. It’s nice and relaxing. They are planning to go back to the UK this summer and we will surely miss them. So we are trying to get as much time with them as possible this year. 


Just 4 more days until I’m off to Vienna!

No comments:

Post a Comment