Sunday, January 21, 2018

A trying week, with an ill child.

Sunday morning came way too early, unfortunately. The fog was so thick that we had a lot of teachers late to school. This time of year, the fog can cause zero visibility. It makes driving quite dangerous. 


Once I was at school, I covered for our grade 5 boys’ class because our English teacher had a close family friend pass away and she had to fly back to Scotland for the funeral. I left school just before 11 to go to another school to begin work on the continuous assessments for term 3. We had a fifth person join our efforts, but she was more of a pain than a help. So we relayed to our cluster manager that we would rather our new addition not join us again. We had been granted permission to gather every Sunday for the rest of the term to make assessments. 


After school I came home with a few groceries, while Stuart was at the doctor checking out a rash that looked like ring worm. Thank goodness it wasn’t. It turned out to be some sort of allergy. I collected the kids from school and was told that Millie had visited the nurse because her head was hurting. 


Once we were home the kids changed into their rugby kits, did some homework, and played for a bit before heading to rugby. I worked out at the gym and then had a pot of tea in the club restaurant. When rugby was over, Millie came up and was crying about her feet hurting. She was also complaining of having a fever. When we got home, the plan was for the kids to shower and then have some fruit. They had their dinner before rugby. We’ve found this works better for both of them. I bathed Millie and she decided to just go to bed without having any strawberries, her favorite. I then knew she didn’t feel well. I rocked her to sleep and then went to take a shower myself. 


Jack played on his play station for a bit and then was off to bed. Stuart fixed dinner and we watched our new show, Elementary, a mystery show, as you would guess. We discussed who would stay home with Millie on Monday if she woke up not feeling well. 


Well, as you could guess, Millie woke up with a fever. So instead of debating who would stay home, Millie decided we both should stay home with her. Stuart took Jack and Claire to school while I stayed with Millie. We sat her up on the love seat, where she remained most of the day. She ended up sleeping almost 3 hours in the afternoon, which would prove to be a hinderance to her bedtime. 


Claire came over to babysit Monday evening because Stuart and I had to go to the rugby club for an Extraordinary General Meeting to vote for the Social Secretary of the club. I was running, as well as a female rugby player named Hannah. Believe it or not, the votes were split. So it was decided we would share the position, which suited me just fine. It meant we would have half the work, which would be beneficial to both of us. 


We got home just after 7 pm and Millie was still awake. She didn’t actually fall asleep until after 8 pm. The good news was that she felt a lot better. So back to school she went on Tuesday. 


At school I covered 2 boy’s classes. They worked relatively well, but were still super chatty. That day couldn’t end early enough. I stayed at school until it was time for me to pick the kids up from their extra curricular activities. Homework was rushed because we had to get to rugby. I fed them before they left, then I headed to the golf course for my first golf lesson. Cathy and Gemma joined me. We signed up for 6 lessons. I really learned a lot in the first session and can’t wait for the rest of the lessons. 



When I got home Millie was on her way to bed. Stuart had both kids clean and they had their fruit. I went to say goodnight to Millie and then came down to eat the curry Stuart had made. It was yummy. We just chilled the rest of the evening. 


Wednesday I covered a boy’s class again. They were so disrespectful, and accused me of not letting them eat. In the afternoon there were 10 of those boys running all over the tables and acting a fool. They were awful! In the end we had to send a message to their parents to come in for a meeting the following day. 


After school I met with my co-chair for the social committee. We mapped out dates for things for the rest of the year. She is very skilled and has a lot of connections. I think we will make a great team. When I got home, Sean and Stuart were off to rugby and I perched up on the sofa, watching random television shows. I really love my alone time on Mondays and Wednesdays. 


Thursday at school the parents came in.  Some of the parents blamed me for not having control over their behavior, allowing the boys to take no responsibility for their action.  While other parents were very supportive. Although their parents came in, the boys were not much better when I had to teach them the last period of the day. Thank goodness their teacher will be back Sunday. 


When I picked the kids up from school, I discovered that I had a pumpkin for a daughter. I’m not sure how she will eat for a while. 

Thursday evening Hannah and I met with Andrew, the clubhouse manager, to talk about the schedule of events for the remainder of the year. He gave some insight as to what the resort would allow and what would not be possible. After we left the club, we went to Clare and Scott’s for a wine and cheese night. 


Friday I woke up and did a whole lot of nothing. We were going to go to church, but in the end we didn’t. Jack was upstairs getting dressed and as he came down, he stopped to pet Oreo. He then discovered a gash on Oreo’s hind leg. So off to the vet we went. The doctor wasn’t there, but they decided to keep Oreo for the night and the doctor would mend his wound the following day. They cleaned up the cut and said it had most likely been there a couple of days. Sadly, our cats are more susceptible to injury since we let them go outside from time to time.  


When I got home from the vet, I washed Jack’s bed. Jack and Millie were out playing most of the day, while Stuart was off to a rugby match in Dubai. 


Millie decided to go skating so she could use the gear Cathy had bought her for Christmas. 


The kids and I watched Ferdinand, which was cute. Sean and Stuart got home just after the Richardson’s arrived for dinner. The kids played, and once again had a late night, so no baths were had. Ick! 


Saturday morning I got up rather early. Jack was already awake, with every light in the house on. We called Grammie and Pop, and then we were off to breakfast at the golf club. The plan was to plan and book our holiday for spring break. The Richardsons, O’Reillys, and the four of us were planning to go on a holiday together. 


We stayed at the golf club until almost 1 pm, but got nothing booked. It was probably best because in the end Gemma, Fechin and their kids decided they would not be able to go with us. So, the plan was on to have the Richardsons over Saturday evening so that we could book our holiday. We decided to go to Pattaya, Thailand. We booked the flights and a wonderful villa from Airbnb. 


While we booked the holiday, the kids played outside and took Biscuit and Duke for a walk. Once the Richardsons had gone, Jack and Millie took showers and went to bed. We were all a bit tired. It was a long week, but a good weekend. 


No comments:

Post a Comment