Sunday, March 4, 2018

The eyes have it!

On Sunday my principal was back at school. She decided to do all of the observations except for one, so that freed up my day to get prepared for my presentation the following day. 


I worked on putting together our reading A-Z books. I’m not sure if we will be any more prepared than before, but I’m giving it my best effort. I left school at 10:30 to go to my continuous assessment meeting. We were a little more productive on Sunday as it dawned on us that we only had two more meetings before we had to be finished with our term 3 assessments. Seems maybe we did more chatting than working this term. Oops. 


I picked up the kids from school. I dropped Jack at home and Millie and I went to Hannah’s. She and I needed to finalize our rugby ball ideas as well as make sure we were set for the games night on Thursday. Millie likes to go with me because she plays with Sam and Ava, Hannah’s children. 


When I got home I started in on the books I still had to finish. I convinced Millie to stay with me. She bathed and then helped me attack the books. Jack and Stuart headed to rugby training. 


Around 6 pm, Millie Skyped Grammie and Pop and talked for a long time. Once Jack was home, he started speaking with them as well. Millie went to bed and Jack continued to talk. I think it thrilled my mom and dad. It was good to hear the kids really talk to them. Usually I can’t get them to stop being silly long enough to have a meaningful conversation. 


Stuart made bubble and squeak with pork chops, and the three of us ate while watching Dr Who. Jack was in bed at half seven and we followed shortly. 


Monday morning I walked and finished up the books I needed to finish. At school I tried to wrap up last minute details, knowing I would be gone for close to two weeks from school. I ran my professional development on the Daily 5, for all staff. The English teachers got more out of it than the Arabic teachers, but hopefully they gained some ideas from the presentation. 


We went to collect the kids from school and then headed to get my car from the service station. Once we were home, the kids went to play. Stuart left for Rugby training, I fed the kids and then they were in bed. Once Stuart was home, he and I watched television until he had to head to the airport to pick Sean up from his 3 week holiday in Thailand and Australia. They got home just after 1 am. 


I decided not to walk Tuesday morning, and instead I got up a bit later, showered, changed our sheets and finished up the laundry I had started Monday night. 


We took the kids to school, stopped at Abela to get some food for the kids’ lunches for the rest of the week and then came home for about an hour. Just before 9 am Stuart took me to the hospital to get ready for my surgery at 11 am. I got to the hospital and checked in. I was all dressed up and ready to go at 9:30. Stuart left just after that. 


That is some lovely purple pen I have on my eyes. Is she cutting all that off? Yep!

I was taken into surgery just after 11 am. I was in recovery around 2:00 and back in my room by 2:30, wide awake. I’m so fortunate that I snap out of anesthesia so easily, as my mom has a terrible time doing so. I had patches over my eyes and had to pee desperately. They wouldn’t let me get up for an hour, but offered a bed pan or a nappy (diaper). No thank you! I waited the hour. Stuart left to take Millie to dance and I laid in the dark, totally blind for the next 3 hours. They brought me food around 6 pm, but since I couldn’t see it, I couldn’t eat it. When Stuart arrived at 6:30 pm, he helped me drink some of the soup, which was way too salty, and I had two bites of rice and one bite of the mystery meat. Ugh! 


Once I saw this picture I was so glad I hadn’t eaten much of the food. It’s a bit green and brown. 

Stuart asked why they had left the parts they cut off my eyes! Gross! He wanted to take the vials home. Ick! He settled for just taking a picture. I won’t make anyone barf, so I’ll spare you the photo. 


Once I had eaten a bit, they discharged me. When we got home, Stuart had made up a bed for me on the sofa, which was so sweet. Jack made some jokes about seeing a beautiful sunset and asked if I had seen it, clearly seeing the patches on my eyes. I then proceeded to take off the patches and got a bit of a fright. 


I iced my eyes every hour for 15 minutes, most of the night. So I didn’t sleep much. The swelling wasn’t that bad Wednesday morning, thank goodness, but my eyes were more bruised and it was obvious they were still bleeding a bit. 


Someone said it looked as if Stuart had done a number on me. Then they laughed very loudly, saying, ‘Like you would ever let that happen!’ Comedian!

Stuart took the kids to school and then returned home as he had a meeting in Abu Dhabi that didn’t start until later. He drove me to the hospital for my follow up appointment with Dr Faten. She was pleased. I walked home from my appointment and rested on the sofa, icing my eyes every hour. The kids got home from school and did some homework. I washed a few dishes and was spent. 


We had a committee meeting at the club about the upcoming rugby ball. It got a bit heated as I felt everyone was being a bit discouraging. Turns out, our business manager went to meet with the venue and ironed out details that were pleasing to all of us. 


I got home and put Millie to bed. Claire had stayed with the kids while we were at the club. Jack stayed up for a while and made himself a snack. My eyes had started to swell a bit from my lack of ice for the 2 hours I was at the club. 


Thursday I laid around and watched Keeping Up With The Kardashians. Clearly, I haven’t been keeping up. I decided I could make it to the Giant Games night at the club. It wasn’t greatly attended, but the kids that showed up had a great time. Of course, it rained. It NEVER rains here. The games got a bit wet. So at the end of the evening we bagged everything up, knowing I would have to go to the club Friday morning to sort it all out. 







Most of Friday we lazed around the house. We went to the club to sort out the soggy games. I ended up bringing most of them home to clean them and let them dry out. The Men’s match was canceled due to some refereeing conflicts. So the two men’s teams decided to split and play each other. Jack had a tournament in Abu Dhabi but neither Stuart or myself went. I didn’t think my eyes could handle the entire day, and oh what a day we missed. The boys came second in the entire tournament. The semi final game was won 1 to nil. That one try was scored by my boy! I know I’m bias, but he’s an incredible athlete. 






Back at the club, we watched the men in a bit of a hilarious match. Jack arrived around 6 pm and was beat, and upset they hadn’t won their last match. He’s so competitive. We had dinner after the match was over and then headed home. It rained all day on Friday as well, but not enough to really bother anyone. 


Saturday we got up and went to the grocery store. We seldom make the kids go with us anymore, but Saturday we did and they both were terribly whiny. It was not a pleasant experience. Once we were home the kids ran out the door so we couldn’t force them to do anything else with us for that day. 


Clare and Scott came over for dinner. Stuart made nachos, one of my favorite meals. The kids played and the adults discussed our upcoming trip to Pattaya, Thailand. Just three weeks away!!!! 


The bottom photo is before surgery. The above picture is 4 days after surgery. I actually have eyelids. They are still a little swollen, but I’m thrilled with the results. No more Deputy Dog eyes for me. 




No comments:

Post a Comment