Saturday, June 16, 2018

Ramadan is nearly over.

Sunday I got up and walked. It’s becoming almost unbearable to walk now. It’s so muggy, but I am determined to keep this weight off. So I just persevere. I did my usual ‘I’m not working right now’ routine at home. Stuart picked the kids up from school. We went to the club to swim. Jaime, one of my grade 1 teachers, met us there with her daughter. We swam until about 5 pm and then decided to eat dinner at the club. The kids played a card game on the other side of the restaurant while Stuart and I enjoyed a quiet meal. 


Monday morning I walked on my own. After the kids were off to school, I decided to be a bit domestic and make crock pot chicken. It’s not Stuart’s favorite, but our rescue human loves it. I decided to catch up on the Bachelorette. I can’t say I’m loving this season just yet. Stuart picked the kids up from Bounce. When he got home, he headed to the club. He had a meeting about Rugby kit for next season. The kids showered, had dinner and then were off to bed. 


Tuesday I got up and walked with Lara. I spent the day working on the lesson I would present the following day at Brighton College. I was interviewing for a teaching position. This is the school the kids went to last year. Because their fees raised by quite a bit, we just couldn’t justify sending the kids there any longer. However, if one of us got a job at the school, it would include two free school fees. That would be a real bonus for us. Private schools don’t normally pay as much as what we are making, but Brighton College is pretty close. Plus, with the school fees we would be getting a raise of sorts. After planning for most of the day, and also spinning my wheels for most of the day trying to decide what to teach,  I started to get nervous. I feel as if I could teach any child standing on my head with my eyes closed. However, not being in a conventional setting for a number of years can make you question your abilities. 


I took the kids to Bounce after school. Ramadan is over on Thursday so we wanted to squeeze in one more session on our pass. I took the laptop and tried to finish up the written lesson while they bounced. I got no where. I just couldn’t focus on what was important. 


Cathy came over and we ordered food. She helped me focus on my lesson and I felt pretty good about what I was going to teach. I decided to teach equivalent fractions. 


I didn’t go to bed until nearly 11 pm and I didn’t sleep all that well. When I got up I was in a panic about not having enough material to teach the entire 40 minute lesson. So I ran copies of an extension worksheet, just in case. I took the kids to school and then headed to my interview. The teaching part went well, I thought. I was then taken on a tour of the school by some Year 5 students (10 year olds). The students are so polite and so poised at this school. They have a certain demeanor that brings such a positive feeling to the school. After the tour, I was sent off because my actual interview wasn’t until 11:15 am. I decided to go home and get something to eat. I returned for my formal interview at Brighton College at 11 am. They asked the usual questions and I felt they were pleased with my answers. I called Stuart when I was finished and told him I felt the way I always feel about an interview. I felt I knocked it out of the park and there is no reason they shouldn’t offer me a position. Confidence or arrogance? Maybe a bit of both. I always feel confident at an interview. It will now be up to whether they feel I’m a fit. There was no clear answer to the question: ‘Do you have positions available at this time and when do you look to hire?’ I think what has happened is they have some internal movement that is going to take place, leaving classroom positions available. For now I suppose I will just wait. The good thing is, I already have a job, so I didn’t seem desperate. 


Once I finished at the school, I stopped in at the closest mall. I shopped around for a bit, for nothing in particular. I just needed to waste some time before picking Jack, Millie, Daniel and David up from school. I took them to Bounce for their last session. I sat, as I always do, and played Cookie Jam on my phone, while the kids bounced. 


Once we were home, Millie got ready for her date with Stuart and Jack and I got the ingredients out to make cookies. That was what he had chosen for our date night. Millie decided she wanted to go golfing. What a crack up! Jack decided we would watch Beauty and the Beast while we waited for the cookies to bake. We doubled the recipe so we had a math lesson that evening as well. Both dates were a lot of fun. The videos of Millie golfing made Jack and I laugh so hard. The cookies turned out a little more cake-like than I care for, but Jack was proud of himself for his efforts. 














When Stuart and Millie got home, I got another birthday present. I got a new set of golf clubs. Stuart and I have decided we will play more golf next year. He’s going to play less rugby next year. I think it’s starting to take a toll on his body. 




Thursday we were off of school to celebrate the last day of Ramadan. Eid would be called at the sighting of the moon Thursday evening. We took Cathy to McGettigans to eat lunch for her birthday. We spent the rest of the day at our house doing a whole lot of nothing. 




Friday, Claire came to babysit a crew of children. The Richardsons, Rouvis, and Telfords were all going to brunch so the kids stayed with Claire. The men went to McGettigans while the women went to Zest. It was a delightful lunch for all. Everyone ended up back at our house. I think the last guests left around 11 pm. Late nights for me are not as easy or enjoyable as they used to be. However, we enjoyed the laughs that evening. 






Saturday I spent most of the day on the sofa like a lazy dog. I responded to an email I got from the head of the junior school at Brighton College. I guess I did well in my interview. They are waiting for some things to fall in place with some other positions, but basically he said when everything fell into place I would have a teaching position at Brighton College. I was so thrilled. I emailed him just to say I would be patient. 


The Richardsons came over and Stuart made a delicious Saturday roast dinner. The kids were cranky and on each other’s nerves. Henry and Jack actually got into a fight. Henry is 3 years older than Jack and even though they are the same size, their emotional difference is very obvious sometimes. 


We had a lovely evening, but it was a bittersweet night. We only have a little over 2 weeks left with the Richardsons. We are certainly going to miss them next year. 




No comments:

Post a Comment