Sunday, September 9, 2018

The children are in school!

Sunday was the first day of school and It was incredible. At the end of the day I was exhausted. My class are precious little 6 year olds and they loved me. Wow! Who knew I would actually enjoy the first day. I have a few students who will definitely challenge my patience this year, but who will also keep me on my toes. I have one student who reminds me of the student I had so many years ago that I named my own son after. Already, I love him dearly. We will call him Buddy. 



When we got home from school, the kids quickly got changed and had a snack before heading to the rugby club for Rugby training. I sat and had a Diet Coke. I talked with Lara, Paula, and Rochelle for a bit.  I was a bit in a daze. Once we were home, the kids were showered, had something to eat and then went to bed. I worked for a couple of hours in our ‘office’, then nearly fell asleep on the sofa around 9:30 pm. 


Monday was a much better day. I felt more prepared and less like a chicken with my head cut off. There was little down time and Carmen and I started to get into a bit of a groove. My personal kids acted up after school, which wound me up. We got home just before 5 pm and they showered. I fed them and started doing my work for the evening. 


Millie ended up having to go to bed early because of her behavior. Jack went to bed a bit earlier as well because it was obvious that both kids were tired. Stuart had a meeting at the rugby club at 5:30. He decided not to stay for training so he was home just after 6:30.  Stuart seems to be having a difficult time at work this year, which reaffirms I left at the right time.  He’s exhausted from the needless stress alone. I finished working around 8:30 and watched one of the Back to the Future movies. I ended up going to bed just before 10 pm. 


School just got progressively better as the week went on. Hump Day was long, but the students really started to settle in. I really can’t wait until special classes start next week. I have a few days in my schedule that I have a solid two hours of planning. Hopefully this will alleviate me staying late at school and will keep me from working so much at home in the evenings. 


When we got home from school, I stayed home and didn’t go with the kids to rugby as I had so much work to do. After our staff meeting, I found out there was a great deal I needed to get done before the end of the week. So working instead of relaxing at the club seemed to be my way forward. 


Millie gave Stuart grief while they were at the club, so we decided she wouldn’t be able to go to the rugby club anymore during the week as it was too much for her. I’m not sure if we will be able to stick to this. 


Wednesday was a crazy day. We were nearly at school when Jack announced he had left his lunch at the house. I was so irritated. I happened to put an extra sandwich in my bag and I had also purchased snacks the previous evening to take to school so the kids could have a snack after school each day. So when we got to school I made him a terribly unhealthy lunch and went to tell his teacher he would just have to be hungry. She said ‘Tough love. I get it.’


I was out of sorts for the day.  Jack forgetting his lunch just spun my morning in the wrong direction. I ended up doing the wrong duty, didn’t show up for the correct duty, and ended my day with a call to the parent. Into the week 4 days and already making a call home. I would love to report it was a positive call, but alas, it wasn’t. 


We left school just after 4 pm. The kids showered when they got home and I started in on the work I needed to do. The kids ate dinner and then Stuart went to training. I finished working around 8 pm and then sat down to watch television. Stuart got home just before 9 and I fell asleep on the sofa. I finally went to bed around 9:30. 


Thursday the kids got up and got ready for school without a hitch. The last day of the first week was really good. The end of the day, after kids had been dismissed, the fire alarm went off, which threw us all off just a touch. It was hot and there were still kids who hadn’t been picked up. 


Once we were allowed back into the building, I had he opportunity to speak with Buddy’s mum. I told her that her son had already made me a better person. I told her that I wasn’t sure where she stood in regards to the spiritual world, but that I believed I was sent to Brighton especially for Buddy. He had, in 5 days, made me a better mom to my kids. He’s an amazing child. 


We left school just before 4 pm. My team leader has two children at the school as well. Her daughter Alice is in Millie’s class.  Alice came home with Millie and me, while Jack went with Tommy, her son, to her house and then to the golf course. The girls played school while at our house. It was hilarious. 


We met Joan at the golf course for dinner with the girls. The girls ate and played, and Joan and I got to know each other better. When it was time to go, it was discovered that Jack had left his back pack at their house. So we stopped by their house on the way home to get it. When we came out of their house, Jack decided he would try to scare me. He tried to hide under the stairs. But as he ran to hide, he failed to see the curb and tripped over it, landing on his hip on a concrete slab. He kept saying he was sorry. I asked him why he was saying he was sorry? He said because he thought I would be mad at him for falling. What have I done to my son. I hugged him and told him I wasn’t mad at him, but was so sorry he was hurt. Poor kid!


We to Sean’s for a while. He was having a tattoo party. Stuart and I were not participating this time. When I got there Lara, Brian, Cathy, Stuart and Sean were sitting around watching Claire, Ashleigh, and Kayla get tattoos. Claire took Jack to Brian and Lara’s while Millie hung out with Carly in her room. We ended up getting home just before 11 pm. I walked over to pick up Jack. The kids showered and then were off to bed. 


Friday I washed Millie’s bed. We went to the mall for some needed items. We then went to get groceries. I stopped at Starbucks on the way out of the mall and discovered they finally have sugar free syrups. Yahoo! 


We got home and put things away.  Then we headed to the club for Open Day. Open Day is one of the club’s biggest events of the year. It’s the day the men kick off their rugby season. Stuart is only playing for the community and vets teams this year, so he didn’t play. The event was huge. There were sponsors of the club at the event. There was also a live band after the match. I sold raffle tickets and handed out prizes. I also monitored the bounce castle for a bit. I then realized that the children on the bouncy castle weren’t even mine. 




Jack and his new friend Tommy. 

We left the club around 10:15 pm. The kids hadn’t eaten because they chose to play instead. We decided we would feed them when we got home. Usually we insist they eat at the club, but since this was the first event of the year, we went easy on them. I stayed up to watch television, but fell asleep on the sofa. 


Saturday morning I got up and ironed Jack’s school shirts, a shirt of mine, and Stuart’s trousers. I stripped Jack’s bed and had him sort out his shirts and gym shorts so we could give them to Tommy the following day at school. Around 10 am I got to work and started sorting myself out for school on Sunday. The week ahead would be about baseline assessments. I finished just before 1 pm. I sat and watched television before getting ready to go to my ‘Favorites’ party. 


This ‘favorites’ was the best ever. Only 7 of us showed up, so we got all the gifts that were brought. It was so quaint and such a small group. I enjoyed catching up with the ladies I don’t see very often. 


Once I was home, I answered a few inquiries about some things I was selling on swap and shop. We then had dinner and spoke to Grammie and Pop. It was so good to share with them what a great impact my new job had already had on me. 


Once the conversation was finished and the kids were in bed, I sat down to relax and then found myself sleeping very quickly. So I went to bed and was almost asleep before my head hit the pillow. I am exhausted, but it is well worth it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment